Thread: Ring around collar - nubuck

Default Ring around collar - nubuck

I have a dark brown Danier leather jacket that I've been told is "oiled nubuck".

It has a stand-up collar that has developed a ring around it, I assume from the oils in my hair. I've asked around and done some research regarding how to remove it. I've tried using a nubuck brush as well as a block, and also tried the trick of trying to soak the oils out using talcum powder. None of these tricks has worked. I have heard to try a "nubuck degreaser", but I cannot find that sort of product anywhere.

I've been to a couple of places that do leather repair, and they all look at it and tell me that I could have it professionally cleaned, but if I was not diligent about using a scarf or something like that, the ring will quickly return.

Apparently leathers that have a "smooth" finish are better candidates for using a protective spray on barrier/sealant, and an "open" finish like this nubuck will always be much worse for absorbing the oil ? (sorry for using the wrong terms here)

I did apply the protective spray after I bought it new, and while it seems to work great for repelling rain, it does nothing for the ring on the collar. I have a black leather jacket with the smooth finish, and the spray worked for it (or I can't see it as easily because it's black)

Am I fighting a losing battle here, or is there some sealant I can use to stop this from re-occurring on nubuck? (this is assuming I can remove the stain in the first place using one of the cleaning kits mentioned on this website.)

The jacket was only $99 in the first place, so the idea of spending a small fortune on repeated cleanings is not appealing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Based on this Nubuck Problem Solving Guide for Penetrated Oil or Grease you need Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0.

Optional extra is the Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 for leather rejuvenation.

Non-Stick Rub-Resistant is using Leather Scent-S.

Default How to degrease collar stains!

(this is assuming I can remove the stain in the first place using one of the cleaning kits mentioned on this website.)

Yes the grease can be easily removed as shown in these pictures...

#1. Grease collar

#2. Degrease with Degreaser-2.2

#3. Towel Extraction

#4. Rinse with Rinse-3.0 and extract until towel shows clean.

#5. Brush off wick up soiling particulates when it's crispy dry.

#6. Result of Degreasing with the “leather-safe” system

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 10-26-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Where can I get a bottle of the degreaser, and how much is it ?

Products interested are found in this kit, individual products available too; however Degreaser-2.2 works in conjunction with Rinse-3.0 in the grease remover system with the help of appropriate brush to brush-off wick-up soiling particulates when crispy dry.

Since its an Oil-Nubuck, Oil Effect-2.8 is recommended after Fatliquor-5.0 for the effect rejuvenation.

Email me for the prices, please!

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

#1. Nubuck Leather Care Kit N250.pde

Contents:
    Prep-4.4 - 60ml
    Degreaser-2.2 - 60ml
    Cleaner-3.8 - 250ml
    Rinse-3.0 - 250ml
    Hydrator-3.3 - 250ml
    Fatliquor-5.0 - 250ml
    Leather Scent-S - 120ml
    Leather Eraser-4 - 1pc
    Nubuck Eraser-5 - 1pc
    Nubuck Brush-2 - 1pc
    3” Poly-Brush® - 1pc
    Washable Rags - 6pcs

Oil Effect-2.8 is recommended for Oil Pull-Up Nubuck and is found in this kit...

#1. Nubuck Oil Pull-Up Leather Care Kit NO250.pde

Leather Doctor® Oil Effect-2.8
    It’s for Aniline and Nubuck oil pull-up leather types.
    This is a pH 2.8 emulsion blend, oil effect leather rejuvenator.
    It’s to rejuvenate diminishing oil pull-up effect lost through usage, ageing or cleaning

Default The inherent characteristic of nubuck is respected as it is!

Also, is there a good way to "seal" the finish of the collar to prevent this from coming back ?

Nubuck is what nubuck suppose to be; with its peculiar characteristics.
    What makes it soft and strong with suppleness is the fatliquor (fat, oil & water).
    The extra oil effect helps in reduced absorbency, besides its fashion effect known as “Crazy Horse” soought after.
    As both the fatliquor and oil effect diminished by evaporation the absorbency rate increases may be the reason to look into.

Everyone I talked to said that it could be professionally cleaned, but almost went as far as discouraging me from doing so as the ring around the collar will just keep coming right back again. The cost of cleaning over and over would quickly exceed what I paid for the jacket in the first place.

Most napped nubuck and after drying without fatliquoring are often shrunk, wrinkled, stiff and coarse like sandpaper.

My other leather jacket (black with a smooth finish) has no problem, I assume the color hides the ring, and/or the smooth finish allows the spray-on protectant to work better. Regardless, since I cant change the color or finish of my brown nubuck jacket, it would be ideal if there is some better protectant I can use so I dont have to clean it over and over again.

The industry definition for waterproofing protection is:
    “Leather treated with special chemicals in drum or by spray which will block the migration of water or moisture into and through the interior part of leather even though the surface can be wet at that time”.

So the industry knows that the surface will still be wet and stain; and there is no magic solution to the problem as yet; if nubuck is still to be produced as nubuck.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 10-28-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Thread Information