Thread: How to Re-Dye Chanel® Lambskin Leather Handbag?

Default How to Re-Dye Chanel® Lambskin Leather Handbag?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have a black lambskin chanel bag and I noticed that it is starting to fade on the corners. Is there anyway I can redye the corners of my bag back to black?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

J

Yes,

Most probably you need anilineDye21™ with its complimentary topcoat.

or a heavier bicastDye27 with its complimentary topcoat.

Or semiColor74™ with its complimentary top coat

Or unlikely napaColor84™ with its complimentary top coat

Or it's very unlikely pigColor64™ with its complimentary top coat.

All these give you the black color, be it transparent or opaque.

But you have to match the existing leather type as each color types have its particular characteristics from a cheap to expensive feel and look.

You certainly do not want to use a color types that brings down the value of your leather type just because of its color alone.

What you want is to at lease maintain the value of the leather with its corresponding leather color finishes that matches.

So you could let me have detail pictures of your chanel lambskin bag I can help you sought out this confusion.

Roger Koh

The products description and instruction are as follows:

anilineDye21™ is a water-based low VOC new generation transparent dye that is more lively and brilliant in color.
    For: All aniline leathers with 9 basic colors to mix and match.
    To: Provide a more superior light fastness and fades resistance than most standard liquid dyes.
    Dyes come in 8 colors to match: Yellow-128, Orange-157, Rubine-113, Red-180, DarkBrown-124, RedBrown-159, Black-115, Blue-161 & Transparent-177.
    Instruction:
    1. To be used after color coat otherwise - use d’Ink7.7™, clean3.8™ and rinse3.0™ to prep clean surface.
    2. To apply dyes to clean surface - use padding, foam brushing or airbrushing.
    3. To build up color saturation as desired - multiple applications are needed.
    4. To proceed with aniline topcoat when dry - use either 53WM™, 54HG™ or 54M™.

semiColor74™ is a water-based soft compact resin blend high performance fine micro-pigment color.
    For: Semi-aniline garment, handbag, upholstery.
    Comes in 15 basic colors to mix and match: Black-712, Blue-740, ThaloBlue-709, MarineBlue-746, Green-771, Lemon-726,
    Yellow-735, Ochre-784, QuinRed-741, ChromRed-717, DiazoRed-754, Violet-710, Maroon-702, Tan-786 & White-705.
    Instruction:
    1. To prep clean leather surface free of soil and other foreign residue prior to color coating - use d’Ink7.7™, d'Oil4.4™ or d’Grease4.9™, clean3.8™ and rinse3.0™.
    2. To control drips, flows and color stability during spraying - use thickener48™.
    3. To ensure a better adhesion - use adhesion73™.
    4. To achieve a desired aesthetic appearance - use light coating thereafter without overloading the grain.
    5. To protect the color coat - use semiTop57G™ for gloss, semiTop57M™ for matte or an in-between satin mix.

napaColor84™ is a high performance lacquer emulsion color coat.
    To: Provides a more color consistency than anilineDye21™ with its buttery softness warm characteristic.
    For: Soft lambskin semi-aniline fashion garment leathers.
    Comes in 15 basic colors to mix and match: Black-12, Blue-40, ThaloBlue-09, MarineBlue-46, Green-71, Lemon-26,
    Yellow-835, Ochre-884, QuinRed-841, ChromRed-817, DiazoRed-854, Violet-810, Maroon-802, Tan-886 & White-805.
    Instruction:
    1. To prep clean leather surface free of soil and other foreign residue prior to color coating - use d’Oil4.4™ or d’Grease4.9™, clean3.8™ and rinse3.0™.
    2. To pad or foam brush in a circular motion avoiding streaks.
    3. To achieve a desired aesthetic appearance - let dry between coats with subsequent light coat.
    4. To protect the color coat - use either napaTop78S™ for satin or napaTop44G™ for gloss.

pigColor64™ is a water-based compact resin blend high performance pigment basecoat.
    For: All non-absorbent automotive, furniture & sports pigmented leathers.
    Comes in 15 basic colors to mix and match: Black-612, Blue-640, ThaloBlue-609, MarineBlue-646, Green-671, Lemon-626,
    Yellow-635, Ochre-684, QuinRed-641, ChromRed-617, DiazoRed-654, Violet-610, Maroon-602, Tan-686 & White-605.
    Instruction:
    1. To prep clean leather surface free of soil and other foreign residue prior to color coating - use d’Ink7.7™, clean3.8™ and rinse3.0™.
    2. To strengthen weak and worn leather structure - use impregnator26™.
    3. To ensure good adhesion - use adhesion73™.
    4. To control drips, flows and color stability during spraying - use thickener48™.
    5. To ensure a better adhesion - use light padding for the first coat to ensure bite.
    6. To achieve a desired aesthetic appearance - allow for in-between drying with subsequent light coat.
    7. To protect the color coat - use with pigTop56G™ for gloss, semiTop57M™ for matte or an in-between satin mix.

bicastDye27™ is a water-based polyurethane secondary transparent dyestuff.
    For: Bicast leathers with 3 popular colors to mix and match.
    Dyes come in 3 colors to match: Black-792, Brick-790, Brown-791 & Transparent-797.
    System Instruction:
    1. To ensure good adhesion - adhesion73™ is recommended.
    2. To ensure good color coverage - pigColor64™ is recommended.
    3. To create the characteristic visual effect - bicastDye27™ as a secondary color is recommended.
    4. To create the characteristic pull-up effect - waxEffect95™ is recommended.
    5. To ensure proper adhesion over the wax effect - adhesion73™ is again recommended.
    6. To protect all previous coatings - pigTop56M™ for matte, pigTop56G™ for gloss or a in between satin mix is recommended.
    7. To enhance the leather sensuously when dry - use leatherScent’D™.

Thank you very much for your quick reply! I have attached the photos of my bag to this e-mail.
    Thanks in advance for looking through the pictures to help me decide on which dye to use.
    I completely understand your concern on useing the correct dye to not bring down the cost of the leather.
    I will go with whatever product you decide.

anilineDye21™ system is the first choice with its complimentary choice of topcoat.

And if testing finds it too transparent to hide surface damages, the next choice is semiColor74™ system.

Am I able to order the product online? Do you have a website I could order off?

For your information the 60ml bottle of dye and topcoat is what you need for the bag and it’s only US$16.95 each, besides other cleaning and conditioning products in 250ml spray bottles.

Also, I did recently bring my bag to a professional to dye the corners and I was not happy with the results because it rubbed off after I used the bag two times.

Can you show us which picture the corners were dyed?

And is the corners abraded that need re-strengthening the internal leather structure?

I want to find a dye that will not rub off so easily.

Dyes may bleed; pigment may peel when it’s not done properly.

Either a transparent dye or an opaque pigment a top protective coat is important to prevent rub off.

A non-stick tactile conditioner helps to lubricate its surface thus prolong the wear and tear.

I have noticed that the leather is quite faded compared to my other chanel bags, do you think it is possible that I dye the entire bag myself?

Yes, if you can paint your nails you can dye this bag yourself; it is straight forward after the initial assessment of existing condition.

Always test the dyeing on a hidden corner to your satisfaction before doing on the outside.

If you are keen and confident, I shall provide you with details steps to follow.

What do you think?

Thanks for all the help!
    JL
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 01-07-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Step 1:
    Inspection - check for worn or abrasion especially on edges and based corners, that will also include the maroon colored interiors.
    And bear in mind the gold logo and marking stamps on the maroon interior as well.
    Decide whether to keep the gold print, detailed touch up with gold colors is possible too or just cover them up with maroon micro-pigment.
    So we are talking of 3 colors: Black, Maroon and Gold colors with their respective top coats (see product description).
    If there are worn areas that become suede there is a special need to repair these areas with an impregnator and a bonding product (see product description).
    Before dyeing or coloring the leather surface has to be prep clean of all foreign contaminations.
    Handles are especially vulnerable to deterioration from perspiration stains, where the pH levels may be raise from the healthy pH of 3 to 5 to be above 7.
    This alkalinity exposure causes the leather constituents like dyes, fatliquor to break bonds with the protein leather fibers.
    Top coats will also in most cases be worn out and rub-off before it affects the leather structure.
    In extreme cases that result in tackiness (test with finger) or excess bleeding (test with a wet cotton swab) a low pH 2.0 acidifier is recommended to effectively neutralize the high pH; otherwise a mild 3.0 acidifier is mandatory.

Step 2:
    pH Neutralization - in extreme cases - use acidifier2.0™.

Step 3:
    Prep Cleaning & Structural Conditioning - use d’Grease4.9™ > clean3.8™ > rinse3.0™ > fatliquor5.0™ with leatherBrush1™ and anilineEraser4™.

Step 4:
    Abrasion Repair - use impregnator26™ > leatherBond3D™.

Step 5:
    Interior Refinishing - use adhesion73™ > semiColor74™ > SemiTop57M™ (matte).

Step 6:
    Exterior Refinishing - use anilineDye21™ (black) > anilineTopG54™ (gloss) or satin from a matte mixed to match.

Step 7:
    Surface Conditioning - use leatherScent’B™.

We shall go into more details when you are ready with the products.

Check out the products details and instruction in this link:

http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...read.php?t=360

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

Thread Information