My finished basement fell victim to the Southern New England floods this past March.

In an attempt to save an American Leather loveseat and a sleep sofa I propped up the furniture, unfortunately the water level rose just enough to wet the bottom of each piece. The sleep sofa mattress took the brunt of it and I will discard that item.

As the two pieces cost $5,100 and replacing the mattress costs $1,100 I am weighing whether to discard both pieces, which kills me as they are only 6 years old. They were not removed from the basement until the tear out began 7 days after the event. Since their removal I have stored them in my non-climate controlled garage. The ventilation is not great with 2 windows and the garage doors. They are black leather and I cannot see anything unusual in their appearance. I also cannot detect any odors suggestive of mildew or mold.

Compounding the problem is that the sleep sofa is too big to put into the basement while assembled. If I retain the piece then I will have to reassemble the sofa and then subsequently find I am using a piece with potential mold.

Every "expert" I've consulted with states I should discard both pieces. I stumbled upon the Leather Doctor remedy and I am wondering if anyone on this site can relate to my situation and offer any recommendations, including their services.

Thanks to all.