Thread: Flood exposure

pcfriarfan Guest

Default Flood exposure

My finished basement fell victim to the Southern New England floods this past March.

In an attempt to save an American Leather loveseat and a sleep sofa I propped up the furniture, unfortunately the water level rose just enough to wet the bottom of each piece. The sleep sofa mattress took the brunt of it and I will discard that item.

As the two pieces cost $5,100 and replacing the mattress costs $1,100 I am weighing whether to discard both pieces, which kills me as they are only 6 years old. They were not removed from the basement until the tear out began 7 days after the event. Since their removal I have stored them in my non-climate controlled garage. The ventilation is not great with 2 windows and the garage doors. They are black leather and I cannot see anything unusual in their appearance. I also cannot detect any odors suggestive of mildew or mold.

Compounding the problem is that the sleep sofa is too big to put into the basement while assembled. If I retain the piece then I will have to reassemble the sofa and then subsequently find I am using a piece with potential mold.

Every "expert" I've consulted with states I should discard both pieces. I stumbled upon the Leather Doctor remedy and I am wondering if anyone on this site can relate to my situation and offer any recommendations, including their services.

Thanks to all.

The key to saving your leather is this product:

Leather Doctor® d’Mold-3.6:
    It's for Pigmented, Aniline, Nubuck, Suede, Hair-on and Woolskin leather types.
    This is a pH 3.6 aqueous leather-safe non-phenol fungicide developed to kill mold growth.
    It’s for disinfecting and controlling musty odor from mold activities after decontamination cleaning.
    Preparation Cleaning:
    1] Remove, contain and dispose mold responsibly in terms of health and the environment.
    2] Remove remaining residue with Leather Eraser-4 for all smooth leather and Nubuck Eraser-5 for nubuck and suede.
    3] Clean thoroughly with Prep-7.7 or Prep-4.4 follows with Cleaner-3.8 then Rinse-3.0.
    4] Sinking pits damages have to be physically removed during the rinsing process and an option for re-finishing after treatment.
    Instruction:
    1] Shake well, spray soak and agitate with leather, nubuck or suede brush.
    2] Let dry naturally.
    Options:
    1] Hydrate dried leathers – use Hydrator-3.3
    2] Rejuvenate to soften and strengthen leather – use Fatliquor-5.0.
    3] Impart a buttery, draggy, silky or waxy feel; non-stick protection with a classic leather scent - use leather Scent-B, D, S or W.
    Note:
    Anti-microbial, just like anti-biotic is a course of medications; that has to be administered on an 8 monthly cycle to be long term effective again re-occurrence.

You should do it straight away before the mold sets in!

What do you think?

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

Thread Information