Thread: Water damage Brooks Brothers bag help needed!

Clif Guest

Default Water damage Brooks Brothers bag help needed!

I had a clean water leak that came through my closet ceiling and stained the leather trim on this Brooks Brothers bag. I tried saddle soap with very little effect and no one local has been able to help with anything other than "learn to live with it."

Any suggestions on how to clean this so it looks new again?

Attached Images Attached Images     

Saddle soap accentuated the staining problem because of it’s the alkalinity.

And all soap leaves behind a film of scum that will attract further soiling.

Saddle soap was originally used in the tannery for fatliquoring and was found to be inferior and never used again.

It still survives because consumer is taken in by the word “Saddle”.

This bag has fabric that is stained too, and it looks like its denim (Cotton); the stains need to go as well!
    It may pose a problem when the aniline dyestuff comes in contact when done in the standard hydrating method; and has to be contained within the leather trim.
    So this combination of different material becomes a hurdle that need to be overcome without the excess dyestuff bleeding into the denim or need to be removed as an additional process on the denim when the stains on the leather is dry and gone.

Having weighing the difficulties; this is my proposal for this project.

Tools Required:
    1] Leather Brush-1
    2] Terry Towel

Products Required:
    1] Prep-4.4
    2] Cleaner-3.8
    3] Rinse-3.0
    4] d’Tannin-3.5
    5] d’Tarnish-1.3
    6] Hydrator-3.3
    7] Fatliquor-5.0
    8] Leather Scent-B

Procedural Steps of Processing:
    1] The saddle soap scum need to be strip with Prep-4.4; by applying with leather Brush-1 and agitate; extract soiling with towel until towel shows clean; apply and let dwell another 5 to 30 minutes.
    2] Continue spray Cleaner-3.8; agitate with leather Brush-1 and extract until towel shows clean.
    3] Continue spray Rinse-3.0; agitate with leather Brush-1 and extract until towel shows clean.
    4] Inspect to see if the stain is gone; or leave it dry for further inspection (would like to see the result and we can go from there!).

I will guide you along the way as I see the outcome of the result.

The kit you may like to look at is in this thread with d’Tannin-3.5 and d’Tarnish-1.3 as add-on.

http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...ead.php?t=4714

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

Default starting the process

I finally got back to this project. The water stains are coming off with the first few steps but it also discolors, actually removes the coloring of the leather... is that expected? Do I try to remove all of the pigment like this or just continue with the spot cleaning? What are the next steps? Thanks for the advice.

Clif

http://flic.kr/p/8SKNXe

http://flic.kr/p/8SNTb3
    Last edited by Clif; 11-12-2010 at 05:54 AM.

The discoloration is most likely the result of the high alkalinity from the “Saddle Soap”.
    When not neutralized the remaining residue will remain active in the present of moisture from the atmosphere that continues to work, without you realizing it does happen, until you start to clean it again.

Try cleaning stains that were not exposed to the saddle soap; it should not discolor without much agitation or aggressive rubbing.

The solution is a complete removal the color evenly and re-dye it again.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-12-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Here are the after pictures, for a comparison with the above 4 before pictures:

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

That looks fantastic Roger!

These pictures show dyeing to the fabric as well!

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

soap solution is the best thing you should go for in order to clean it up.
    take liquid solution and a piece of sponge.pour sponge in liquid and start cleaning that stain you will see stain getting lighter..

Thread Information