Thread: Tooled Leather with Two-Tone Combination - Lexington Furniture - buying ths furniture... faded.. possible repair?

Default Tooled Leather with Two-Tone Combination - Lexington Furniture - buying ths furniture... faded.. possible repair?

This furniture was made by lexington furniture.. from the "bob timberlake"line... sofa,loveseat, and chair with foot stool..

it looks like the tooled leather has faded he called it a natural patina , the furniture is 9 years old and said he paid close to 8k for everything... based on the pictures.. is 1500.00 to much for this set based on the fading present? what type of leather does it look like was used?

If i were to try and repair the fading on the sofa, how would it compare to the rest afterwards

How is the look overall, this normal?

There looks to be a pattern in some of the leather the "tooled part" , funny how some of it kept the color and the other didnt. I guess the sofa front arm is the worst... What is everyones thoughts on the condition or type of leather used... he said there is no ripps or tears...etc... we really like it alot, just worried about the restoration that might be needed if any?

The uneven patina on the “tooled part” will even-out to blend if it is an absorbent veg-tanned (Vachetta / Tooling) leather type.

And d’Tarnish-1.3 would be the recommended product to do the job.

Besides reducing the contrasting patina Hydrating and Fatliquoring helps to enrich the tone appearance.

Note:
    Can you feel the tooling pattern with your eye closed?

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

A cut and copy form my PM

Hi there, I cant repost for some reason it is awaiting activation.

Actually the guy said he would take 800.00 for the furniture when i started discussing the fading issue. I think it is a no brainer now. He did say the leather was a Grade-A and the tooling leather used was a Grade-F. I guess since they were doing a design they didnt need a Grade-A leather.

When I feel the leather where the tooling is, if I can feel it does that mean it is a better type of embossing done?

When I feel the leather where the tooling is, if I can feel it does that mean it is a better type of embossing done?

===

The leather could be Hand Stamped, Embossed or Printed.

Hand Stamped leathers has to be a minimum of 2mm in thickness in order to create the depression by the stamping tool done by hand.

Embossing is done by plating with heat and pressure where the impressions are superficial embossed with embossing plate.

Needless to say Traditional Hand Stamping leathers is more expensive than Embossing leathers.

From picture #1, it is unlikely a stamped leathers as the seam runs over the pattern.

Picture #6, the crease at the armrest suggests that the embossed leather is of the same thickness as the two-tone combination leather.

When the pattern cannot be detected by tactile feel it could even be a print.

Close-up pictures will help to determine the type and the cause of the color blotchiness.

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

you can feel the pattern on the back cushions down near the bottom behind the seat cushions. The front arms where the buttoning is, this is very smooth. The arm tooling wrap is smooth as well and on one arm tooling, the pattern has been worn away. I will try and post pictures soon, but the seller did say the fading was a result of sunlight exposure at a lake home

Veg-Tanned naked leathers behave like our skin when exposed to sunlight – it darkens.

Why the blotchiness, is still a mystery.

Thread Information