Thread: Ultrafabrics "Brisa" Peeling at hard edges

Default Ultrafabrics "Brisa" Peeling at hard edges

I have currently ~100 office chairs upholstered with Ultrafabrics "Brisa" -- a PU leather material.

The material is generally fine and actually pretty durable -- no stickiness issues despite intensive commercial use, and generally no random peeling.

The issue is the design of the chair that this Ultrafabrics "Brisa" is found on. There is a hard edge at the front corners of the seat. The Brisa material is wrapped over this hard edge, and the Brisa inevitably delaminates and peels at this hard edge. The peeling is almost always localized, it doesn't spread across the seat, but it's still unsightly to have a chair with two clearly damaged front corners.

Looking for a fix. Reupholstery is not an option due to the design of the seat -- the Brisa is stitched to a rubber "carrier" that is hooked to the underside of the seat. This isn't a rewrap and staple type of project that I can handle myself.

Thank you!

Name:  chrome_uqwpTTPisT.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  44.2 KB
    Last edited by Deontologist; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:36 AM.

>>> Looking for a fix.

Hahaha! This is a tough one!

I think any possible fix will still look unsightly, what are the options of fix you have in mind for us to discuss?

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected],
    email: [email protected]
    phone: 604 773 1878

Well I know the primary issue is adhesion to the substrate, and secondary issues would include matching the stupidly noticible grain pattern that they put on this pleather material. Not to mention the perforations.

I've experimented in the past with just getting the Brisa color matched by the spectrophotometer at Home Depot and smearing some Sherwin-Williams-type paint on the edges. However, the paint isn't thick enough to level with the rest of the upholstery.

I've thought about using some sort of caulk to level out the damaged area and then painting it, but, again, the issue would be the lack of a grain pattern, which I suppose I could replicate with some sort of hot press but still just a massive waste of my time unless the result is going to be perfect AND durable.

I have also thought about just removing the seat cover entirely and attaching it to the seat inside out, as that would create a suede-like or microfiber seat. The microfiber backing of the pleather is actually intact and undamaged -- and I flip traditional woven fabrics around and restaple them often times when one side is suffering from extensive pilling -- but the issue is that the stitched seams on this particularly constructed pleather seat would be inside out and that would be another unsightly issue.

Finally, I have considered sanding down the top PU layer and exposing the microfiber underneath, but, getting a consistent result without excessive sand-through would probably be difficult and not worth the time, frankly.
    Last edited by Deontologist; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:40 AM.

>>> I've experimented in the past with just getting the Brisa color matched by the spectrophotometer at Home Depot and smearing some Sherwin-Williams-type paint on the edges. However, the paint isn't thick enough to level with the rest of the upholstery.

Leather Glue 3D the new version of Bond 3D dries to clear and is used to build up repairs. In this case, since the paint isn't thick enough this Glue 3D might be just what you are looking for, to complete your color-matching repairs.

Name:  Bicast and PU Leather Repair Kit BP3.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  92.3 KB
    See this Bicast and PU Leather Repair Kit BP3 from this link:
    https://leatherdoctor.com/bicast-and...epair-kit-bp3/

Thread Information