Thread: How to Restore a Water Stain and Cat Scratched Bally Aniline Leather Boots? Question by Andrea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to Restore a Water Stain and Cat Scratched Bally Aniline Leather Boots? Question by Andrea

Dear Leather Doctor,

My nicest pair of boots have been damaged and I have been looking everywhere online for a solution. I stumbled across your forum and was very impressed. I'm really hoping that my boots can be salvaged with your help.
    I'm pretty sure the leather type is unprotected Aniline as the color is not uniform throughout the boot and the surface is mat.
    My problem is twofold: Water stains have darkened the toes of the boots and my friend's cat scratched them so that there are visible claw marks and in some parts the leather is slightly torn.
    What is the best treatment in such a case?
    I have attached some pictures.
    I really hope there is a way to repair them!
    Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,
    Andrea

Thank you for having confident in the Leather Doctor® leather-safe system.

You can do it yourself or you may prefer professional services, your choice.

1], 2] & 3] is straight forward.

But 4] may requires a bit of skill as the repair may cause a darkening effect.

1] Products recommended to remove the water stains:
    Use Prep-4.4 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0.

2] Products highly recommended to rejuvenate the leather structure for suppleness and strength:
    Use Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0.

3] Products for repairing the scratches as seen in picture #3.
    Fine sanding with 1500 sandpaper follows with matching Topcoat Pure-73 (gloss or satin).

4] May I know where the slightly torn leather is?

5] You may want a non-stick protection for the final touch.
    Use Leather Scent-W (waxy-feel).

The above is only in brief, you may need further instruction as you decide to take the DIY route.

Let us know what you think?

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

Thank you very much for your prompt reply!

I just have a few questions. In this case, would you recommend professional service rather than do-it-yourself? I don't mind paying for professional care if I know I'll get better results. I also don't mind spending the necessary time to do it myself. I just want it to turn out the best way possible.

If I choose professional care, where do I go? Do I send the item to you? Or do you have shops internationally that carry your product?

Is the topcoat in step 3 a color dye and what is the difference between gloss or satin? Do you have a color chart?

The slightly torn leather is where the scratches are. It's a bit hard to explain. There is no actual tear. It's more roughed up. As if someone took a very rough sandpaper and rubbed it on the shoe. So, when you run your hand over it, it's bumpy instead of smooth. Does that make sense?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
    Andrea

I suggest you send it to me for the restoration work.

You may not be able to do it right the first time.

Thereafter you can do the maintenance cleaning yourself.

Roger Koh
    Leather Doctor®

Thread Information