Thread: Ford Edge Leather Repair Plan Evaluation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ford Edge Leather Repair Plan Evaluation

Hey everyone,

So I'd like to run my "battle plan," across you all in this forum for a seat repair project on my 2010 Ford Edge. I had very good success with my first repair except for the color match and not using a clear coat. This repair is on my personal car and I'm looking to create a permanent fix and respray both front seats all around.

My plan is to remove the seats from the car to prevent over spray and get a more even coat of paint on. The first step will be to repair the one small rip in the leather (you can barely see it so I'm lucky). I will not try to remove the slight wear creases in the leather and sanding it down would remove the texture and I don't mind the leather being creased slightly (it hasn't caused a break in the leather or the dye so I think I am in the clear).

Next would be to begin the re-spray process. I will color match my water based dye then spray through an HLVP gun (after taping up the seat as to not spray stitching and plastics on the seat base).

After allowing the seat to dry then I will clear coat the seat let dry then replace in the vehicle. This process will be used on the three arm rests (door arm rests and center console). The drivers seat has no dye loss so I will first respray the backrest and seat base with clear coat and blend into the sides due to only being dull on these parts.

Here are some pictures of the worse off seat (passenger seat). The drivers seat does not have any dye loss but has lost its gloss and since I am already going to be elbow deep in work, I may as well correct it with respraying clear coat.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information