Thread: Factory Finish damaged

Default Factory Finish damaged

I am new to the form. But have followed some of the threads and am wondering if anyone on the forum can share their thoughts on my questions.

I was trying to re dye my Ferragamo Tramezza shoes. In stripping the current color, I used acetone and I am afraid I may have damaged the factory finish. Now when I apply Bick 4 leather conditioner it darkens the stripped off shoes in a very uneven blotchy way. If I apply dye, the shoes just drink it all up making them really darkCan you advise what products should I use to rebuild the factory finish before I start dyeing the shoes again?

I have also attached a couple of photos. One is after stripping the shoe but before applying Bick 4 and the second one after applying Bick 4.

Name:  1a.JPG
Views: 482
Size:  3.05 MBName:  1bb.JPG
Views: 482
Size:  3.91 MB

>>> Can you advise what products should I use to rebuild the factory finish before I start dyeing the shoes again?

Recommend that you pick a system of matched products to achieve your desired result.

How about from this Kit-A7.cl to start all over again?
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a7-...finishing-kit/

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  22.7 KBRoger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thanks Roger. If I understand correctly, this kit comes with a colored dye. Where can I check the different color options?

If I can, my preference would be use Saphir dyes to mix them and develop my own color mix for these shoes. Would the kit "Kit A6.tc - Aniline Leather Topcoat Refinishing Kit' (http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a6-...finishing-kit/) do the same job except for the dye that comes with Kit-A7.cl recommended by you?

>>> If I can, my preference would be use Saphir dyes to mix them and develop my own color mix for these shoes.

What ever brands of dyes that you use . . . it has to be a "coating transparent dyestuff" a "staining" transparent dyestuff would not work as all staining dyestuff that remains on the surface will also gives you a "bronzing" effect. Example Aniline-21 will fail in this situation, only Aniline-76 will work. Let me know if you want to discuss further?

Hi Roger, So I am quite ignorant about the restoration process. I appreciate you responding to my questions so I can get a better understanding of the various products.

I have some additional questions:

- Is the Kit-A7.cl - Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit enough for just one pair of shoes or for multiple pairs?
    - Can I buy the dyes that come with this kit separately also, so I can use the kit for multiple pairs?
    - Where can I look up the dye colors that show up as the color option with this kit?

- Lastly, what is the difference between the 'Kit-A7.cl - Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit' and the 'Kit A6.tc - Aniline Leather Topcoat Refinishing Kit'?

Thanks a lot for your help.

>>> - Is the Kit-A7.cl - Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit enough for just one pair of shoes or for multiple pairs?

Should be enough for one pair - this is only a starter system kit and refills are available as individual products.

>>> - Can I buy the dyes that come with this kit separately also, so I can use the kit for multiple pairs?

Coating dyestuff Aniline-76 is available from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/aniline-76/

>>> - Where can I look up the dye colors that show up as the color option with this kit?

If you post some color I may able to recommend the closest match.
    Available are the standard or primary colors, all secondary and tertiary colors are further extendable.

Color Options:
    Antique Brown
    Black
    Yellow
    Orange
    Red
    Red-Brown
    Rubine
    Blue
    Navy-Blue
    Dark-Brown
    Clear
    Oliver Sweeney Brown (tertiary color)
    Custom Color

Tips:
    Aniline transparent dyestuff color intensity from the bottle is “what you see is not what you get” unlike the opaque Micro-54 color pigment. The see-through color intensity increases with additional coating. As seen from the above picture example it produces 4 shades or color intensity from top to bottom and the luster level from left to right. Aniline-76 Clear is used to reduce or control color intensity by mixing with the color dyestuff to maximize out the color intensity prior to application.

Name:  aniline-76-color-intensity.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  550.6 KB

>>> - Lastly, what is the difference between the 'Kit-A7.cl - Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit' and the 'Kit A6.tc - Aniline Leather Topcoat Refinishing Kit'?

Kit-A6.tc is without the dyestuff.

Thread Information