Thread: How can I remove spots and refinish leather jacket?

Default How can I remove spots and refinish leather jacket?

Hi, I’m looking for some advice. I have bought a new leather jacket (lamb leather) which had some spots on the back. I gave the jacket a gentle wash to try to break it in/remove some of the shine, but this has exacerbated the original spots and led to the appearance of new spots as shown in the picture. Any ideas on what has happened and how I could treat the leather to remove the spots and get a smoother finish? Thanks! Name:  4CA6CFBE-5EFE-429E-863A-504D5027C411.jpeg
Views: 1179
Size:  4.18 MB

>>> Any ideas on what has happened

If there is a musty smell, then its mold growth.
    MOLD: Mold is the colloquial term applied to a large diverse number of fungal species where their growth result in a moldy appearance on objects, including leather. A layer of fungal growth discolors such objects. Molds are fungi that grow in the form of multi-cellular filaments called hyphae. The hyphae are generally transparent, so the mycelium appears like very fine, fluffy white threads over the surface. The dusty texture of many molds is caused by profuse numbers of asexual spores formed by differentiation at the ends of hyphae. The mode of formation and shape of these spores are traditionally used to classify the mold fungi. Many of these spores are colored, making the fungus much more obvious to the human eye at this stage in its life cycle. Molds cause biodegradation of natural materials like leather. It can then be unwanted as mold-damaged property. Mold requires moisture for growth. Like all fungi, molds derive energy not through photosynthesis but from the organic matter on which they live. Typically, molds secrete enzymes that degrade complex substances into simpler substances, which can be absorbed by the hyphae. Molds reproduce through producing very large numbers of small spores. Mold spores may remain airborne indefinitely or cling to leather and fur. It can survive under extremes of temperature and pressure.

>>> and how I could treat the leather to remove the spots

To treat the leather from mold growth will need this Leather Doctor Kit-A3.mk - Leather Mold Odor Killer Kit.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a3-...or-killer-kit/
    Name:  Kit-A3.mk.JPG
Views: 969
Size:  2.19 MB

>>> and get a smoother finish?

If you want to smooth the finish you may need to refinish again with AnilineTop-21 Gloss, Satin, Natural or Waxy-Matte of choice.

A tactile-feel smooth is accomplished with Protector-B/B+

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thanks Rodger,

I don’t believe there is a must smell over the usual smell of leather.

Could there be another explanation?

I will try an anti fungal just in case it’s a sneaky scent less mould.

Thanks again.

>>> Could there be another explanation?

If there is no musty smell, then it could be fatty spew usually when leather is put in a colder environment.
    Brushing with Hydrator-3.3 helps remove them safely.

>>> I will try an anti fungal

Any products used, please check its pH-value should be between 3 and 5 to be leather-safe.

>>> I gave the jacket a gentle wash

What product you used and its pH-value may be the cause of the problem.

Used products that has a pH value of 3 to 5 to save on problems.

If the products that you have used is above pH-value 5 (even water that has a pH value of 7 will cause problem to the leather) then to pH-balance it you will need Acidifier-2.0 (pH-value 2.0) to reverse the problem.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-25-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Thread Information