Thread: Sanded Vachetta? bad decisions:((((

Unhappy Sanded Vachetta? bad decisions:((((

Hi Roger,

I am not sure if my post went thought so here I am. I really wish I found this forum earlier .

I bought a 96 Noe and it was in pretty good condition with honey patina.
    I went to a local leather shop and was recommend Mink oil paste for conditioning and it won't darken the leather much, boy was I wrong. (I lightly applied it hoping it won't darken it at all, because it was a lovely honey colour)

I was so wrong. The bag for a bit darker. and especially on of the side strap which was slightly dry to begin with. Than I search online hoping find a way to lighten it back and I made it worse....

1)I followed some DIY online and "sand" the top later of Vechatta with "regular scotch tape". I got lighter but lost its sheen. It almost felt like suede.
    2) Than I was suppose to condition and buff it with a regular microfibre cloth to add the sheen back.

However it got a bit better darker again. It also lost it's shine (Gloss? super smooth to touch) like the rest of the bag and felt a little bit suede / tiny bit sticky to touch.

( I had an older SLG and it had a nice shine to it because of use)

WHAT CAN I DO AT THIS POINT. is there anything I can do to lighten the bag again at this point. If not, can I at least add the sheen back?

MANY THANKS.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

>>> WHAT CAN I DO AT THIS POINT. is there anything I can do to lighten the bag again at this point.

Yes, you can lightens up these issues:

#1 - the honey patina
    This honey patina is the aging of the original vachetta and as it ages the intensity of tan goes darker. Sunlight and indoor UV lights alone contribute to this effect like we experience with our light skin. Treatment with Vachetta-2.8 system will lightens up closer to the original appearance.

#2 - Ring Marks
    Pictures #1 and #3 shows series of ring marks - common when this leather is expose to pH value above 5. And clean tap water with an average pH value of 7 will water mark this pH sensitive leathers. The alkaline pH related ring marks are rectified with VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system.

#3 - Dark Mark
    The dark mark on picture #1 left side of strap is unknown could be a blood stain or simply a higher pH value stain. pH related stain is rectified through VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Vachetta-2.8 system. Bloodstain is removed differently.

#4 - Metal Dark Mark
    This is the metal buckle mark and will reduce in appearance with Vachetta-2.8 treatment.

>>> If not, can I at least add the sheen back?

#5 - Sanded “It almost felt like suede”
    These are smooth with VachettaTop-84S (satin) to match the untouched luster level picture #2. However, VachettaTop-84 comes in three lusters level Gloss, Satin and Matte for custom application that allows the leather to “breathe” through its discontinuous film.

#6 - It also lost it's shine
    VachettaTop-84 choice of Gloss or Satin will return to your desired luster level.

#7 - super smooth to touch
    The tactile-feel of VachettaTop-84 is further enhanced with a buttery-feel with Protector-B or Protector-D with a draggy feel of choice.

>>> I had an older SLG and it had a nice shine to it because of use

This nice shine from body oil, grease and sweat contact is harmful to the leather and should be removed by a leather-safe system. Healthy shine is contributed by a healthy grain or surface with VachettaTop-84 and Protector-B (satin) or Protector-D (matte).

I have recommend how these issues can be solved with the best option. Repairs to “tiny bit sticky to touch.” With Bond-3D > Bond-7A may produce an undesired darkening effect. Thus, VachettaTop-84 less of a darkening effect issue may solves the “tiny bit sticky to the touch” with a lesser bonding effect.

Let me know if you need clarifications

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

A closer look at the “untouched” picture #2

On a closer observation, looks like ring marks are sealed or coated over with a clear finish.
    In order to reach the grain surface to rectify rings and brownings and sun-tans, the clear coating first has to be removed and most probably with Stripper-2.3
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/stripper-2-3/
    prior to Kit-V4
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-v4-...g-removal-kit/
    and shine with VachettaTop-84
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/vachettatop-84-1/
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-14-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    A closer look at the “untouched” picture #2

On a closer observation, looks like ring marks are sealed or coated over with a clear finish.
    In order to reach the grain surface to rectify rings and brownings and sun-tans, the clear coating first has to be removed and most probably with Stripper-2.3
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/stripper-2-3/
    prior to Kit-V4
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-v4-...g-removal-kit/
    and shine with VachettaTop-84
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/vachettatop-84-1/

Thanks Rogers,
    Yes it feels like it has some sort of coating on it. It felt “ fake L at first.

1) Does bachettaTop-84 Gloss or Satin cause any darkening to the leather? It’s clear?

2) if I were only to lighten the vachetta. I will have to use Stripper-2.3 as a first steal before using vachette 2.8 system?

Thanks

>>> 1) Does bachettaTop-84 Gloss or Satin cause any darkening to the leather?

In the scale of 1 to 10 in terms of darkening, it would be less then 1.

>>> It’s clear?

Yes, it is clear.

>>> 2) if I were only to lighten the vachetta. I will have to use Stripper-2.3 as a first steal before using vachette 2.8 system?

The “wet” cleaning & rejuvenating continuous sequence is as follows:
    Stripper-2.3 > Degreaser-2.2 > VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 before allowing to a slow dry retaining a fatliquor (fat and oil) content average 14% with a leather moisture meter (optional).

Vachetta-2.8 is applied on a dry surface with sufficient fat and oil content to avoid cracking’s.
    Repeat as necessary and with satisfaction repeat again with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3

Keep in mind that Stripper-2.3, Degreaser-2.2, VachettaPro-1.2 and Vachetta-2.8 does remove or dries up the original fatliquor as well and need a full replenishing accordingly. Fatliquor is the lifeblood of leathers, replacing the blood of the animal that once flows through its skins.

Understanding the science and logic of this leather doctor system will keep you leather healthy, beauty and utility perpetually.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-15-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Thread Information