Thread: RH Bromton Cocoa - Scuffs and Wrinkles

Default RH Bromton Cocoa - Scuffs and Wrinkles

Hi-

I bought this Restoration Hardware Bromton couch used and it has a lot of short surface scuffs and some wrinkles around the heavier used areas. When I slowly glide my finger on the surface of the couch (over the wrinkles), I still feel a good amount of the wax/polish and it doesn’t feel noticeably dry. I’d like to clean the leather, remove the light color scuff marks, smooth the wrinkles (if possible) and bring back the shine to the original condition. This is an 8ft long couch and is 46 inches deep.

- Which one of the product lines do you recommend?
    - Should I buy extra bottles of any of the products given the large size of the couch?

Here are some pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images        

>>> - Which one of the product lines do you recommend?

To bring back the shine to the original condition - a topcoat refinishing with AnilineTop-76Gloss is recommended with Kit-Aw6.tc system.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-aw6...finishing-kit/

Name:  Kit-Aw6.tc.JPG
Views: 1940
Size:  2.23 MB
    Leather Doctor Kit-Aw6.tc

>>> I’d like to clean the leather,

When a topcoat refinishing is desired to restore its original gloss luster, degreasing is necessary so that foreign body oil, grease and sweat will not interfere with adhesion. This first “wet-process” sequence starts with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Rinse-3.0 system.

>>> and some wrinkles around the heavier used areas.

Wrinkles are results of leather over-stretching. Diminishing of original fat and oil also contributes to the collapse of the internal fibrous structure. Fatliquor-5.0 is the lifeblood of leather, its fat plumps the leather with fullness and the oil lubricates with suppleness. The second continuous “wet-process” continues with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Fatliquor-5.0. Optional over-stretching restoration from the reverse suede side is by Impregnator-26 to control stretching after EffectWax-8.6. It is done when the over-stretching is return back to desired dimension and hold stronger with Impregnator-26.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/impregnator-26/

>>> and it doesn’t feel noticeably dry.

Dryness is the existing diminished fat and oil content becoming less then the original average 14% and can be verified with a leather moisture meter.

>>> When I slowly glide my finger on the surface of the couch (over the wrinkles), I still feel a good amount of the wax/polish
    The tactile-feel should be draggy-feel of heavy wax from Protector-D/D+ as the final finishing. Finishes is comprises of EffectWax-86 from the leather structure upwards, the surface is heat activated to produce a natural sheen and extra gloss is contributed by application of AnilineTop-76G. In sequence is EffectWax-8.8 > AnilineTop-76G > Protector-D/D+.

>>> remove the light color scuff marks,

All these light color scuffing marks disappear with EffectWax-8.6 effect rejuvenation system. As a continuation after Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Fatliquor-5.0 leather rejuvenating system.

>>> - Should I buy extra bottles of any of the products given the large size of the couch?

Yes, refills are available as individual purchase and the “fill” version is recommended to save on shipping and damages.

>>> This is an 8ft long couch and is 46 inches deep.

Amount of products require does not depend on size alone. When a surface is non-absorbent, we could determine how much it could stay on its surface by volume of products covering an area. If it is absorbent, then the existing moisture content plus the thickness of the leather will determine how much products got to be absorbed into the leather.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Hi Roger-

I started with the Degreaser, then Rinse 3.0 with agitation using the brush. Almost immediately this one spot on the arm rest of the couch got discolored. What should I do now? I continued applying Acidifier, followed by heavy Hydrator thinking the color would go back but it looks totally discolored.
    Name:  8FE2BFF8-43F8-43DC-A28A-86CA5DED3C53.jpeg
Views: 1955
Size:  2.44 MBName:  8FE2BFF8-43F8-43DC-A28A-86CA5DED3C53.jpeg
Views: 1955
Size:  2.44 MB

When absorbent leather is exposed to any liquid including fat and oil, it will gain saturation or darker in appearance. When these liquids evaporate, it lightens up or appears lighter.

Show some pictures again when it is naturally dry to the touch.

Thanks Roger. I will.

Hi Roger-

I let it dry for a week or so and this is how it looks. Less discoloration but still a bit harsh when I drag my finger over it. It feels as though it’s untreated leather (not smooth with gloss). What should I do now? The rest of the arm rest is fine and feels a bit smooth and has some gloss.
    Name:  06503E60-902E-46C6-ACC0-4A51AB20ED34.jpeg
Views: 1919
Size:  2.38 MB

Name:  B70319BD-FBC3-41E1-8DD7-9E9EB8D8FC3C.jpeg
Views: 1925
Size:  2.45 MB

Tips:

What you have done in picture of a corner is “NOT” recommend, try completing the entire section instead.

All dark natural scratches should blend with refreshing saturation of color density.

Appearance is scrutinized after:

1st - Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Rinse-3.0 system and while still damp (about 25% total moisture content) continue with Step-2.

2nd - Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system and while still damp (about 25% moisture content) continue with Step-3.

3rd - EffectWax-8.6 system and let natural dry with wax crystalline covered surface before activating with hot hair dryer, then continue with Step-4

4th - Apply AnilineTop-76G and sand with Sand2000 to improve “harshness” when drag over with finger.

5th - Finished with Protector-D.

Here is the standard copy and paste instruction from Kit-Aw6.tc
    Let me know if you need Online-Life-Coaching @ US$99 for half an hour session to see you through.

Topcoat Refinishing Instruction:

Degreasing:
    Removing of surface and penetrated grease is essential for a good bonding topcoat, just like any other refinishing work with the same principle. However, amphoteric protein leather material is especially pH sensitive, leather pH value of 3 to 5 should be maintain at all time during the degreasing process. Otherwise, high pH value bleeds the dyestuff and displaced it with blotchiness. High pH or alkalinity degreaser denatures the leather when the tanning agents leaches out result in tackiness and in worst case sliminess. All degreasing will also dries up the original fatliquor and high pH value does more harm in drying up the leather. When degreasing existing cracks or dried leathers of fatliquor contents below 7% (read with a leather moisture meter or an equivalent wood moisture meter), it is recommended that hydrating it with Hydrator-3.3 prior to Fatliquor-5.0 first to top-up the fatliquor up to the original 14% prior to degreasing. This pre leather rejuvenating helps prevent over drying of the leather during the degreasing process that may accentuates or magnifies existing cracks. Degreaser-2.2 is a dual-purpose formulation with a pH value of 2.2 to safely degreasing the leather surface and penetrated soiling, while charging the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve) below its iso electric-point or pH neutral or pI for an increase hydrogen bonding with the other ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents like the tanning agents, dyestuff and fatliquor.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Apply Degreaser-2.2 after shaking it well, saturating sufficiently where apparent body contact soiling is evident and feather out to less body contact soiling areas.
    2- Leather Eraser-4 is used for better traction without the risk of scratching the finishes.
    3- Horsehair Brush-1 is used for stitching rows, welting, groves, creases and wrinkles,
    4- Emulsified and suspended soiling is terry towel extracted until towel shows clean.

Rinsing:
    Rinsing the after working degreaser residue and suspended soiling is equally important for a residue free surface.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Apply Rinse-3.0 agitate with Eraser-4 and Brush-1 and terry towel extract until towel shows clean.
    2- Check for any surface tackiness and proceed with Acidifier-2.0.

pH Balancing:
    Dye bleeding and or tackiness during the wet cleaning process manifested from unknown previous cleaning will need further pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0. With a pH 2.0 treatment the amphoteric leather protein fiber will increase its ionic positive (+ve) charge with the other ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents, restoring its pH chemistry integrity.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Apply Acidifier-2.0, let dwell and before it dries towel extracted.
    2- Towel is check for sign of bleeding and surface check for tackiness.
    3- Advanced treatment is allowed for a longer dwell with control plastic covering and inspect for satisfaction thereafter.

Hydrating:
    Hydrating is introducing leather-safe surface-active agent to penetrate, relax and separate stick together fibers from locking up shrunk, creases and wrinkles stiffness. The leather may be dwell up to 72hrs while seal with plastic cling wrapper to control evaporation until the leather is plumped or limped or softened to be stretch or manipulated crosswise to satisfaction.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Apply Hydrator-3.3 for an even appearance and fully saturated to relax out the leather structure to satisfaction.
    2- When leather is almost dry or about 25% total moisture content Fatliquor-5.0 replenishing commences.

Fatliquoring:
    Fatliquoring is the process of replenishing original fatliquor content up to its formal tannery standard of 14% when dry. The fat and oil encased water molecule when ionic attracted by the protein leather fiber breaks free and evaporates leaving a breathing space for natural leather transpiration to take place for seating comfort. The fat plumps the leather for fullness when dry and the oil lubricates the millions of interconnecting like hinges for suppleness without cracking when the leather is flexed from used. Instruction . . .
    1- Apply Fatliquor-5.0 and spread for an even appearance until fully saturated.
    2- Before the leather is completely dry or about 25% moisture level more is applied until saturated again.
    3- When dry to normal used the leather moisture content may be read with a leather moisture meter or an equivalent wood moisture meter to about 14%.

Fatliquor-Free Surfacing:
    Surface Fatliquor-5.0 residue if any is removed with Hydrator-3.3 driving all surface residues below surface. Remember that Fatliquor-5.0 is a structural conditioner and not suppose to remain on the surface.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Surface is sprayed with Hydrator-3.3 and work with horsehair Brush-1 until cloudy moisture if any turns clear.

Wax Effect Replenishing:
    WaxEffect-8.6 is the secondary conditioner replenishing the leather structure to impart a below surface pull-up distress effect and an above crystalline wax deposit to be activated with a heat blower or hair dryer to a natural characteristically sheen.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Apply WaxEffect-8.6 after a warm-up and shake-up.
    2- Spray, spread and saturate with horsehair Brush-1 or other brush evenly producing a darkening effect.
    3- Allow an 8 hour natural drying time or until cloudy crystalline are formed.
    4- Activate the wax deposit with a heat blower or hot hair dryer to a natural gloss luster.

Topcoating:
    AnilineTop-21/76G is a waterbased polyurethane topcoat that is lightfast and non-yellowing. It has excellent flow and levelling properties, recoatable and forms a flexible film coat that gives good performing results from friction wear.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Application is either with foamBrush-3, Towel-5 or fine airbrushing to produce professional results.
    2- Streaking or drippings if any is immediately corrected with a lint-free towel like Towel-5.
    3- Sanding with a 2000grit in between coats improves the feel and touch of the finishes.
    4- Gloss builds up with additional coatings.

Protection:
    Protector-D is a non-film forming, non-stick scentless (optional Protector-D+ for a classic leather scent) protector that enhances a natural draggy-feel. It imparts a non-stick breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling. Its natural draggy-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs, thus reduce stretch, scuff and abrasion. It is also used as a scuff repairer, filling and concealing surface scuffs to improve appearance.
    Instruction . . .
    1- Shake well, mist spray and spread evenly with a foam brush.

Name:  9653A68C-C7EA-4AAF-AAE3-74F989C5F183.jpeg
Views: 1877
Size:  2.47 MBRoger I went through all the steps but the discoloration that occurred just to this corner after applying Rinse 3.0, never got cured. It looks like permanent damage has happened from Rinse 3.0. Please help.

Please show a pictures of all the products you have used so far?

Did you just apply products to this corner?
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-15-2019 at 08:10 AM.

I’ve used all the products starting from degreaser to Protector D+. The discoloration happened after degreaser -> Acidifier -> Rinse 3.0. No, I applied to the entire arm rest.... but just this corner got discoloration.

>>> I applied to the entire arm rest.... but just this corner got discoloration.

Stretch it out to lighten up with palm, knuckles or a smooth object like a sauce.

Thanks Sam... that worked!

Another question. I’ve finished the complete sequence from degreaser -> Protector D+, but if I want to go increase the touch and feel on some large areas of the couch using the Sand Paper, what sequence should I follow at this point since I’ve already applied Protector D+ to the entire couch?

>>> some large areas of the couch using the Sand Paper,

Sandpaper-2000grit is recommended to remove refinishing streaks for in between coatings.

It is not recommend to sand the leather crust.

Please show some details pictures for other options to "increase the touch and feel".

There are 4 tactile-feel options:

Buttery-Feel = Protector-B+

Silky-Feel = Protector-S+

Waxy-Feel = Protector-W+

Draggy-Feel = Protector-D+

Thread Information