Thread: Sheepskin Shearling Coat Refurbishing

Default Sheepskin Shearling Coat Refurbishing

Hi Roger,

I bought a used sheepskin shearling that I would like to refurbish. It has white colorations in the leather that are a little harder than the surrounding suede, especially on the back. It also has a range of brown to very light brown within a few panels. I don't need a perfectly consistent coloration and am okay with natural variation, yet is there a way to get it more uniform?

The leather on the upper parts of the arms is a lot lighter in color, and thicker, than the rest of the coat.

The coat appears clean and I plan to use the Rehydrator and Fatliquor. How can I help this coat?

Thank you for your help!
    Sol

Name:  IMG_3129.jpeg
Views: 955
Size:  1.92 MBName:  IMG_3130.jpeg
Views: 1080
Size:  2.07 MBName:  IMG_3131.jpeg
Views: 1028
Size:  2.24 MBName:  IMG_3132.jpeg
Views: 936
Size:  1.81 MBName:  IMG_3133.jpeg
Views: 845
Size:  1.75 MBName:  IMG_3135.jpeg
Views: 929
Size:  1.85 MB

>>> The coat appears clean and I plan to use the Rehydrator and Fatliquor. How can I help this coat?

To rejuvenate the leather/suede structure will require Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system as the major process. The supporting minor process would include a wet cleaning process with CleanSuede-4.5 > RinseSuede-2.3 system prior to the rejuvenating process. Soil removal with SuedeNapaBrush-1, SuedeEraser-5 & vacuuming is the “dry soil removal” process prior to the wet cleaning process.

>>> I don't need a perfectly consistent coloration and am okay with natural variation,
    yet is there a way to get it more uniform?

Surface nap of the suede may have faded and weaken, the Brushing and Erasing process that exfoliate may brings some fresher surface. Sufficient hydrating with Hydrator-3.3 will also freshen up excess dyestuff to the surface and Fatliquor-5.0 will also intensified or magnified the hue/color for a fresher appearance. If the appearance is not to satisfaction, then dyeing and coloring may be perform accordingly. Stain/deep dyeing is perform with Aniline-21/Suede-17 and fix with DyeFix-99. And coloring is perform with Nubuck-39/Suede-39 and fix with DyeFix-99.
    When appearance is to satisfaction, then a non-stick, rub-resistant protector-S is applied. When dry brush nap with brush for a finger writing effect and it is ready for use.

See instruction for both the wool and the suede side from this Leather Doctor Kit-Ss3 - Shearling Suede Care Kit.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-ss3...uede-care-kit/

Name:  Kit-Ss3.JPG
Views: 811
Size:  1.69 MB

Shearling Suede Problem Solving Guide/Matrix
    Name:  shearling-suede-s.s-garment.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  281.1 KB

Further questions are welcome!

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Hi Roger,

Thank you so much for your help and reply! I am ready to refurbish the coat for this winter. Will one of the Leather Doctor Kits-Ss3 be sufficient for this size of coat or will I need more of any of the products?

Also, there is a tear in the suede of approximately 4-5 inches in the elbow. Do you have a thread with info and products for tear repair?

Thank you!
    Sol

>>> Will one of the Leather Doctor Kits-Ss3 be sufficient for this size of coat or will I need more of any of the products?

When you mentioned that there is a tear, the leather is rather dry of its original fatliquor. Thus addition Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 will help soften and strengthen up the entire shearling. The typical fat and oil content in shearling is up to 15% by weight when dry. So it depends on the present level of fat and oil still remains.
    You may see the details here for the approximate quantity required - http://www.leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/

>>> Also, there is a tear in the suede of approximately 4-5 inches in the elbow. Do you have a thread with info and products for tear repair?

Yes, take a look at the other forum on https://www.leathercleaningrestorati...ede-amp-Nubuck

You should find one there, You may use ordinary stitching just to hold the tear together, apply Bond-3D over the stitches to camouflage it, then use some donor suede to go over the bond.

If you need online coaching by skype it is US$99 an hour to get you right the first time.

Thread Information