Thread: Restoration Hardware Lancaster Brompton Cocoa sofa - needs some serious attention!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Restoration Hardware Lancaster Brompton Cocoa sofa - needs some serious attention!

Hi Roger,

I found this page and I'm in the same boat - http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...fa-See-My-Pics

I have the same Restoration Hardware Lancaster Brompton Cocoa sofa and it needs some serious attention (photos attached).

I'd like to restore it up to how it looked new if possible. What would you recommend?

Best,

Jason

Name:  IMG_1669.JPG
Views: 1847
Size:  1.63 MB

Name:  IMG_1670.JPG
Views: 2659
Size:  2.79 MB

Name:  IMG_1671.JPG
Views: 2265
Size:  2.66 MB

Name:  IMG_1744.JPG
Views: 1567
Size:  2.31 MB

Name:  IMG_1745.JPG
Views: 1435
Size:  2.41 MB

Name:  IMG_1747.JPG
Views: 1413
Size:  3.20 MB

Name:  IMG_1749.JPG
Views: 1446
Size:  1.73 MB

Hi Roger,

Thanks so much for the help!

The soiling is mostly on the right hand armrest in Photo 3, you will see a dark spot. Could just be the leather though.

My ultimate goal is to really bring this sofa back to life and make it look like new. I'd like the whole sofa to look like the untouched leather on the bottom of the cushions as you can see in the lower section of Photo 5 under the zipper. I love the rich color and crumbled wax paper like finish. Is it possible to rejuvenate the sofa to look like this?

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  133.7 KB

My biggest concern is that I don't make the leather all the same color. I love the crumbled wax paper like finish with the lights/darks & highs/lows.

I want to really avoid it looking like this at all costs...

Name:  ll1.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  195.0 KB
    Last edited by ja2000on; 10-26-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ja2000on View Post
    Hi Roger,

Thanks so much for the help!

The soiling is mostly on the right hand armrest in Photo 3, you will see a dark spot. Could just be the leather though.

My ultimate goal is to really bring this sofa back to life and make it look like new. I'd like the whole sofa to look like the untouched leather on the bottom of the cushions as you can see in the lower section of Photo 5 under the zipper. I love the rich color and crumbled wax paper like finish. Is it possible to rejuvenate the sofa to look like this?

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  133.7 KB

My biggest concern is that I don't make the leather all the same color. I love the crumbled wax paper like finish with the lights/darks & highs/lows.

I want to really avoid it looking like this at all costs...

Name:  ll1.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  195.0 KB

Hey Roger,

I used 80% of the bottle of Hydrator like you said to do and wrapped it in a clear garbage bag. Even though I used 80% of the bottle the cushion absorbed ALL of it and still wasn't very wet, just damp, and did not ooze out when pinched.

I tried working out all the creases but they're DEEP and even though I punched and massaged it this is how it looks. I let it sit for 24 hours for hydrating and this is now what it looks like. They leather looks much better but I'm concerned about the color difference now on the left side of the cushion where we worked the degreaser deep and rubbed hard with the towel. It seems to have removed a lot of the high/low color. What should I do now? Go straight to the fatliquor process?

Name:  IMG_1899.JPG
Views: 1240
Size:  1.02 MBName:  IMG_1900.JPG
Views: 1317
Size:  1.04 MBName:  IMG_1901.JPG
Views: 1328
Size:  1.07 MBName:  IMG_1903.JPG
Views: 1288
Size:  992.2 KBName:  IMG_1904.JPG
Views: 1199
Size:  1.08 MB

>>> and did not ooze out when pinched.

When the leather structure is not fully hydrated with moisture oozing out when press with fingers, logically -
    1- the creases will fail to response
    2- the 24 hours dwelling will not work as well.

>>> the color difference now on the left side

Viewing from the last pictures, it shows that it is still damp on the left side, while the right side is much drier, for the color difference.
    Show the same picture when it is fully dry - to determine the color difference.

>>> What should I do now?

Lay it flat, stretch it out, let it dry, show another picture and we can go from there . . .

>>> Go straight to the fatliquor process?

Logically, after viewing the completely dried cushion, we have to make a U-turn back to Hydrator-3.3 again with complete saturation or wetting out, this means the thickness of the leather and checking out the reverse suede side if it is wet as well . . .

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
    online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-11-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> and did not ooze out when pinched.

When the leather structure is not fully hydrated with moisture oozing out when press with fingers, logically -
    1- the creases will fail to response
    2- the 24 hours dwelling will not work as well.

>>> the color difference now on the left side

Viewing from the last pictures, it shows that it is still damp on the left side, while the right side is much drier, for the color difference.
    Show the same picture when it is fully dry - to determine the color difference.

>>> What should I do now?

Lay it flat, stretch it out, let it dry, show another picture and we can go from there . . .

>>> Go straight to the fatliquor process?

Logically, after viewing the completely dried cushion, we have to make a U-turn back to Hydrator-3.3 again with complete saturation or wetting out, this means the thickness of the leather and checking out the reverse suede side if it is wet as well . . .

Views: 1254
    Roger Koh

You were right, the left side was still just damp. Here are the photos of it dry and all the color came back. Also notice how I hydrated the left side more and the leather is MUCH more smooth where as the right side (bottom) is much more wrinkly. I think I need A LOT more hydrator to smooth this thing out. I placed another order for it.

The reverse side of the suede was just damp as well. I used 80% of the bottle and the leather still was absorbing all of it...its super dry.

Name:  IMG_1911.JPG
Views: 1164
Size:  107.9 KBName:  IMG_1912.JPG
Views: 1130
Size:  145.2 KB

(Please send your pictures and technical questions here instead of email)

Hi Roger,

I just realized that I don't think the color is gone. I think that side of the cushion is just still wet. The other side is much dryer because I soaked the left side more because thats where the stain was. But after looking closely at the leather the soaked area is much smoother and the area just to the right is still wrinkly (Photos attached). Does that mean the wrinkly areas need a LOT more Hydrator? Should I wait to add more Hydrator and get it soaking wet before moving on to the Fatliquor process?

I just placed a bigger order.

Thanks,

Jason

Name:  IMG_1905.JPG
Views: 1115
Size:  1,021.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1907.JPG
Views: 1145
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  IMG_1908.JPG
Views: 1089
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  IMG_1909.JPG
Views: 978
Size:  1.12 MB
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-12-2018 at 10:31 AM.

>>> Does that mean the wrinkly areas need a LOT more Hydrator?

The entire thickness of the leather should be wet out through the reverse suede side (the cushion inside is wrapped with plastic bag).

>>> Should I wait to add more Hydrator and get it soaking wet before moving on to the Fatliquor process?

Yes! Until the wrinkling (Hydrator-3.3) is to satisfaction before working on suppleness (Fatliquor-5.0).

Views: 971
    Roger Koh

Thread Information