Thread: Holland Sport Leather Satchel

Default Holland Sport Leather Satchel

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1946/4...a50d83a1_h.jpg

Hi Roger,

First, I'd like to thank you for the high quality information available on this forum as well as your products and customer service. I am a repeat customer and use your products in one of my side-passions, auto detailing and restoration. You have helped me immeasurably and your breadth of knowledge about leather is--in my opinion-- unparalleled. Thank you!

I recently purchased this small bag at a local gun show ($10.00!)

Name:  44986975622_e4a50d83a1_h.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  446.9 KB

and in looking it over I'd like to bring as much of the original beauty back as I can. It's hand-constructed and the leather appears be high quality. There are scuffs and scratches to the finish, but nothing too dramatic except for:

Front flap--

Name:  44315531594_e6f71aa900_b.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  203.3 KB

a stain or darker discoloration most noticeable on the reverse. I guess it's possible that the 'stain' or darkening is actually the leather in BETTER condition than the other parts of the bag, if that makes sense.

Name:  44315531394_e8acabd46d_b.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  166.2 KB

'Potlach' is an Indian Tribe as well as a geographic area of the Pacific Northwest, a 'Trap' is a shooting event, so I'm surmising this bag was given to participants/winners of that shooting event in 1988.

Name:  44986975902_21e01d99c5_b.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  234.7 KB

This area could possibly be where at some point a sticker or price tag was placed on the bag and then removed, taking some of the finish with it. There is no sticky residue (nor any residue at all that I could detect), and using Clean 3.8 did not alter it at all.

The back of the bag:

Name:  44315531054_e158ddf93f_b.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  164.3 KB

The 3 dark areas are also a mystery to me. I cleaned the entire surface with 3.8 and there was only tiny traces of particles floated in the foaming action, a very slight discoloration of the foam.

This appears to be a spot where heavy pressure caused a slight groove or 'wear mark'. The leather isn't damaged per se, but it is grooved or compressed, and surrounded by the darker stain.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated Roger, thanks

Dave Bockman

>>> It's hand-constructed and the leather appears be high quality.

This is the leather type that is most common for saddles in horse riding however finishes may differ. This is vegetable tanned and is fatliquor thirsty. It is very prone to cracking when the fatliquor diminishes through aging or leach out using high pH cleaning solution. Besides cleaning that matches the soiling to satisfaction, the continuous process that follows is Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

>>> and in looking it over I'd like to bring as much of the original beauty back as I can.

Vegetable-tanned leathers have its own range of brown of its own and sunlight darkens it just like our skin. Looking at picture number 7, most likely a dyestuff (Aniline-21) is being used. This finish could possibly be a “crazy horse” also known as oil pull-up. Where the colored is derived with a combination of Aniline-21 + EffectOil-2.8. In out-door application EffectOil-2.8 is used concentrated for water resistant to water. This EffectOil-2.8 is also used on oil pull-up boots for the same reasons.

Looking at picture number 3, where there is a vertical scratch suggests a gloss topcoat being used like AnilineTop-76G.

>>> a stain or darker discoloration most noticeable on the reverse. I guess it's possible that the 'stain' or darkening is actually the leather in BETTER condition than the other parts of the bag, if that makes sense.

It is possible these darker remnants are the remains of EffectOil-2.8, I would do a testing with a cotton swab saturated with EffectOil-2.8 (from ready-to-use to concentrate solution) to the round stitching to determine the phenomenon effect.

>>> 'Potlach' is an Indian Tribe as well as a geographic area of the Pacific Northwest, a 'Trap' is a shooting event, so I'm surmising this bag was given to participants/winners of that shooting event in 1988.

The mild crackling effect or “crazy horse” effect suggest that EffectOil-2.8 is most probably used, as this bag is also subject to the outdoor wet condition. An application of EffectOil-2.8 to the patch is a good location to test out the original finishes as well.

>>> This area could possibly be where at some point a sticker or price tag was placed on the bag and then removed, taking some of the finish with it. There is no sticky residue (nor any residue at all that I could detect), and using Clean 3.8 did not alter it at all.

I believe the lighter color is the residue that is left behind. Since the leather is absorbent, a quick removed would be using Stripper-2.3 with the help of leatherEraser-4 with better friction rub to remove.

>>> The 3 dark areas are also a mystery to me. I cleaned the entire surface with 3.8 and there was only tiny traces of particles floated in the foaming action, a very slight discoloration of the foam.

There is a possibility that the 3 dark colors could be the near original colors. Fatliquor-5.0 and EffectOil-2.8 plays a role is the darkening effect. That is why they gave this oil effect as “crazy horse”. Sounds familiar, the Indian tribes must also know how to ride a “crazy horse” and controls it. If these are foreign oil stain, then work with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3.

>>> This appears to be a spot where heavy pressure caused a slight groove or 'wear mark'. The leather isn't damaged per se, but it is grooved or compressed, and surrounded by the darker stain.

“grooved or compressed” is work back by relaxing or separating the fibers structure with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thank you Roger,

I have started the Hydrator step and the improvement is remarkable. Clearly the leather was very, very dry. I'll let the leather Hydrate under plastic wrap overnight, then start with Fatliquor.

Read . . .

Leather Approximate Quantity or Percentage of Fatliquor:

The quantities of fatliquor (fat and oil) contents retained in the leather after an universal tannery fatliquoring process may varies up from 14% to 16% depending on the leather types and it usage. This percentage drops as the fat and oil content diminishes or leaches through ageing, water, heat or chemical overexposure. Leather rejuvenating or fatliquor replenishing is base on weight of the leather in relation to the percentage of remaining fatliquor. A simple calculation of percentage of fatliquor topping up requirement would be as follows: If the weight of the leather in question is 100gm and fatliquor (fat and oil) content meter reading is less than 1%. By applying 80gm of Fatliquor-5.0 to it will deliver an end result incremental of 13.3% fatliquor when dry as the 66.6% water contents evaporates. In the leather rejuvenating Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system, Hydrator-3.3 plays an important role by relaxing, opening up the inter-fibrillary spaces, facilitating and redistributing colloidal water movement, protonating and doing all the pre-conditioning work prior to fatliquoring including cleaning up any excess surface remnants to have a sticky-free surface. In practice with severe dryness the ratio for Hydrator-3.3 is 2 to 1 of Fatliquor-5.0. It works out to be approximately 160gm of Hydrator-3.3 plus 80gm of Fatliquor-5.0 to replenish a 100gm dry leather from less than 1% back to the original tannery up from 14% to 16% fatliquor content. In every bottle of Fatliquor-5.0 by weight content is comprises of 16.66% ionic negative (-ve) charged fat and oil, and 83.33% of water, the water content that encased the fat and oil molecule in an emulsion suspension when hydrogen bond with the ionic positive (+ve) leather protein fiber will break free and discharged clear from the leather structure to the surface.

Further reading . . .
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/

No stacking for suppleness necessary for this veg-tan bag as you do not want to create unnecessary creases.

Thread Information