Thread: Akkad Aniline Leather tear and fading

Default Akkad Aniline Leather tear and fading

Roger, this designer has a tufted aniline leather sofa and wants just the tear repaired.
    Do you think we can just repair the the tear and how would we touch up the fill after we glue the flap down?
    I think I can talk him into full restoration to fix the fading too, but I'm still concerned about hiding and blending the flap.

Name:  20180719_145003.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  1.22 MB
    07-26A Overview

Name:  20180719_145704.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  1.23 MB
    07-26 Close up of tear

Name:  20180719_145021.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  1.14 MB
    07-26 C

>>> Do you think we can just repair the tear
    Use Bond-3D with Patch-4S - cut the Patch-4S following in V-shape with half inch both sides - make sure it is facing suede to suede.

>>> and how would we touch up

Color touch-up would be a challenge as the natural Bond-3D will still darkens up when dry. Camouflaging touch up would be using Micro-54 instead follows up with Aniline-76 > AnilineTop-76G to bring close to original color.

>>> the fill
    Use Bond-3D as the main fill. Micro-54 can be added to the Bond-3D as secondary fill to reduce darkening effect to the repair.

>>> after we glue the flap down?
    Bond the V-shape cut out Paqtch-4S to fit on the lower side first, make sure it is secured before pulling the upper flap over to bond. To hold the bond, a string could be strung from the button outward and a stiff plastic see through firm enough to continue hold the bond in place till dry and cured is an option.

>>> I think I can talk him into full restoration to fix the fading too,
    This is an Aniline Wax Pull-up and there is the crust color by Aniline-21 and the color coating by Aniline-76, both have faded. Re-dyeing would need the transparent coating removed, the crust color re-dyed with Aniline-21 to first even out the leather crust prior to re-dyeing with Aniline-76 system. I will share with you some tips how best to do a repair in conjunction with a full restoration.

>>> but I'm still concerned about hiding and blending the flap.
    If you observe very closely, you would see quite a few natural darkening markings and having another repairs would not make any difference to the many collection of natural or un-natural repair markings. That’s why Aniline Wax Pull-up leathers starts with dark colorings.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information