Thread: Chanel Boy calfskin has folding marks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chanel Boy calfskin has folding marks

Hello there,

I recently acquired an used Chanel Boy bag old medium in calfskin and as I was using it I noticed some crease/indent on the bag where the flap folds and open. Is there a way to make that crease go away?
    Last edited by Elle; 01-06-2018 at 05:04 PM.

>>> I noticed some crease/indent on the bag where the flap folds and open. Is there a way to make that crease go away?

The creases develop as the leather is dried of its fatliquor (ionic negative charged fat and oil), becomes stiff and the interlocking fibrils that acts like millions of hinges fails to flex over one another smoothly. The rows that over works stress out becomes weaker while the surrounding remains stiff that result in the creases and indents. Further working on these creases will develop into tears or cracks. Imagine a bundle of rubber bands that have different tension and different dimension. The task is to balance up or equalize this bundle of rubber bands to that they work equally and sharing the same load. When this is achieved, creases and indents will be reduced. Note that soft leathers have the abilities to stretched up to 60% without breaking when well lubricated with fatliquor, cases of creases and indents develops with unequal percentage of stretched is the problem.

The solution is to rejuvenate the leather structure by replenishing its fat and oil with Fatliquor-5.0 to its original average 14% of fat and oil content when dry. But first the overstretch fibrils need to be relaxed to return to its original pre-stretched condition with the help of Hydrator-3.3. However, accumulated soiling will need first to be removed with Prep-4.4 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system. If topcoat (AnilineTop-76) refinishing is desired to restore its gloss then the leather should be free of body oil, grease and sweat, otherwise the topcoat may not adhere evenly, thus patchy appearance due to poor topcoat adhesion. Protector-B/B+ is the final application to impart a buttery-feel that also reduces wears to the finishing.

So a holistic approach to restore to a decent level would involve these sequences of steps . . .

Step 1 - Degreasing to remove body oil, grease and sweat with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system.
    Step 2 - Hydrating with Hydrator-3.3 to relax and stretch out the creases / indents and reactivate dormant dyestuff to refresh fading.
    Step 3 - Replenishing or top-up with Fatliquor-5.0 to the original average of 14% fat and oil content when dry.
    Step 4 - Top coating refinishing with AnilineTop-76G to restore original gloss.
    Step 5 - Rub-resistant, buttery-feel to reduce wear with Protector-B/B+

Any questions you may have?

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 12-28-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Would the steps be the same if I do it on my beige Chanel that has previously been dyed? Actually what would be the additional steps if I wanted to dye my beige calfskin Chanel another color at the same time as restoring the creases.

>>> Would the steps be the same if I do it on my beige Chanel that has previously been dyed?

The sequence of steps would be the same regardless of color.

>>> Actually what would be the additional steps if I wanted to dye my beige calfskin Chanel another color at the same time as restoring the creases.

Redyeing is performed in Step-3A before AnilineTop-76G with Aniline-76 (these are the transparent coating dye system for the black bag).
    If you wish to block off the base beige to another color, an opaque micro-pigment coloring system with Micro-54 > MicroTop-54S/G or Napa-84 > NapaTop-84G system (lacquer emulsion that forms discontinuous film that allows leather to breathe better and easier application without the need to airbrushing) is recommended.
    Good to see pictures to properly identify its finishes to produce best result.

Name:  D0120EC4-D86E-4860-A462-5670AB993872.jpeg
Views: 2835
Size:  3.47 MBName:  D94BA5E5-A2F1-401E-9170-FE7BD57FBF4F.jpeg
Views: 2820
Size:  2.98 MB

Here’s pictures of the beige one. It has been redyed to cover some blue stains

Is there a kit you would recommend?

>>> Here’s picture of the beige one.
    What color does you intent to re-color?

>>> It has been redyed to cover some blue stains
    Recommend that you need to removed or stripped the entire finishes with Stripper-2.3 > Rinse-3.0 system replacing Step-1 mentioned above. The closest to the original base or crust color the less coloring products you would need.

>>> Is there a kit you would recommend?
    You may need a custom package and maybe with a Pearlescent or Metallic Gold secondary coloring for extra beauty may interest you.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/pearl-97/

http://www.leatherdoctor.com/metallic-98/

Thread Information