Thread: Advice on Rejuvenating A Black Shearling Leather Coat

Default Advice on Rejuvenating A Black Shearling Leather Coat

Hi,

Hope someone can help. I have a decent lamb shearling coat. The black is fading some. I would like to rejuvenate it. I'm thinking to use Hydrator 3.3 and Fatliquor 5.0. Are those the right products for this coat pictured?

Thanks a lot!

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  280.2 KBName:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  170.8 KB

>>> I have a decent lamb shearling coat.

This shearling coat is identified as a “Shearling Nappalan Pigmented”:

Here is a brief description:
    Shearling Nappalan Pigment produces a 'monotone opaque' appearance and is smooth leather on the outer side, finished over the suede and shorn wool on the inner side. Depending on the finishes used, either forming a 'non-continuous film' with Napa-84 system that is absorbent or darkens with water droplets testing or a 'continuous film' that becomes non-absorbent that shows water testing pooling on its surface with Micro-54 system. The absorbent types are easily scuffed and will create a distress look when the suede naps are partial revealed for fashion wearing comfort and the non-absorbent finishes with Micro-54 is formulated for sports wear. Shearlings are made from the pelts of sheepskin or lambskin by tanning them with the wool of uniform depth still on them with different finishes types. The other version is Shearling Nappalan Aniline that produces a sauvage appearance more for fashion wear.

>>> The black is fading some. I would like to rejuvenate it.

The black Napa-84 pigment has wear off that reveals the bluish grey “chome-tanned” pelt.
    To rejuvenate or rather refinishing it would require the used of Napa-84 > NapaTop-84S/G > Protector-B/B+ system to match for a new appearance. Note: A corrective cleaning (CleanPro-1.5 > Rinse-3.0) to match the soiling level prior to (Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3) before (Napa-84 > NapaTop-84S/G > Protector-B/B+) is the recommended sequence.

>>> I'm thinking to use Hydrator 3.3 and Fatliquor 5.0. Are those the right products for this coat pictured?

Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 is the structural rejuvenating system, that is it will soften and strengthen up the leather, reduces creases wrinkles and prevents from tearing at the stitching seams. Nothing to do with fading or wear of finishes. This system revives the leather with a “Larazus Effect”

1. The Lazarus Effect
    Product Reviews - Posted by Larry Bauman on 31st Jul 2017
    This product revived my 40 year old Sheepskin coat that cracked at the touch of it after applying another company's 'Restoration' product. That other product ruined my coat, and I was about to throw it away, but took a chance on the Leather Doctor. After applying Hydrater 3.3, I saw an immediate change. I then continued with the Fatliquor 5.0, and was shocked to see the change. My coat is now as soft and supple as it was when I purchased it in 1975! Don't even take a chance on valuable leathers with other companies' products, this one will amaze you sith its results.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-29-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Thank you Roger! This information is very helpful. Can I add Napa-84 to my coat with a pad or must I spray it on?

>>> Can I add Napa-84 to my coat with a pad or must I spray it on?

Spray 'NOT' necessary with Napa-84!

Apply Napa-84 by FoamBrush-3 or equivalent is one option.

A plush pad will reduces streaks.

A 3 inch roller plush works as well.

Use a new one for the topcoat - NapaTop-84G (gloss)
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-30-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Thank you very much!!

Hi Roger, can you help with how much Napa 84 dye I would need to dye an entire coat? How many yards does 60ml cover? Trying to plan as my budget is limited. Thanks a lot!

>>> How many yards does 60ml cover?

Use 60ml of water and works out how much areas it would cover would be quite close. Quantity will also depend on the quality of coverage.

Great suggestion. Thanks

Thread Information