Thread: Unknown leather type--cracks and scratches (+wax effect?)

Default Unknown leather type--cracks and scratches (+wax effect?)

Name:  IMG_2721.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  1.60 MBName:  IMG_2722.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  1.64 MBName:  IMG_2723.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  1.75 MBI just purchased a used chesterfield couch and I want to make sure I care for it properly. It has some scratches and cracks. The seat also looks a tad dry. Does anyone know what type of leather this is? If so, how should I proceed? Also, is it possible with this type of leather to do a wax effect? Thank you.
    Last edited by Hsweet; 09-22-2017 at 05:19 PM.

>>> Does anyone know what type of leather this is?

This is an aniline dyed-through leather which has a delicate topcoat that is easily scratches as seen from pictures. It is probably a “waxy-matte” topcoat (AnilineTop-21W) http://www.leatherdoctor.com/anilinetop-21w-waxy-matte/ to be used for corrective topcoat refinishing.

Here is the leather type finishes brief description:
    Aniline Waxy-Matte Finishes Leather is usually a full grain hide that is chrome-tanned to produce a soft-hand and a transparent aniline dye color through to the reverse suede side to enhance its natural beauty. It takes on a sauvage appearance as the beauty of the grain is shown through naturally with a soft waxy texture. The fine waxy-matte appearance derives from the emulsion topcoat applied and is further protected with a matching non-stick, rub-resistant protector to reduce wear to the finishes. As leather is an amphoteric material or pH sensitive, leather-safe products with a pH value between 3 and 5 are highly recommended for general care, otherwise they have to be pH balanced to its leather pH neutral (iso-electric point or pI). Aniline leathers are also more UV sensitive and periodic leather rejuvenating it revives color intensity and maintains its suppleness from stiffness and cracking.

>>> It has some scratches and cracks. The seat also looks a tad dry.

Dryness and cracks are the result of diminishing original fatliquor that need to be top-up with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system.

>>> Also, is it possible with this type of leather to do a wax effect?

An aniline wax pull-up leather not only scratches easily as a wax leather, when stretch or pull lightens up. From picture it is unlikely a ‘pull-up’

>>> If so, how should I proceed?

Use this Aniline (A.w) Waxy-Matte Leather Problem Solving Matrix/Guide/Instruction for trouble shooting:

Name:  aniline-a.w-waxy-matte.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  324.8 KB

Step-1 - Preparation Cleaning:
    Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

Step-2 - Hydrating:
    Hydrator-3.3

Step-3 - Fatliquoring System:
    Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquo5-5.0 Hydrator-3.3 system

Step-4 - Dry Preparation:

Step-5 - Top Coat Refinishing:
    AnilineTop21W

Step-6 - Protection:
    Protector-W/W+

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 09-25-2017 at 10:31 AM.

I have the same problem, my coach is black, and i just got the same cracks and scratches. Really don't know what to do, i think i need professional help as soon as possible! . I love your forum, and thank you for help and interesting things, now that I'm having health issues I have to spend time on pharmacyreviews.md searching for answers!
    Last edited by Numbecring; 11-03-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Good if you show us some pictures . . .

Thread Information