Thread: Zebra Hide Repairs!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Zebra Hide Repairs!

Hello Roger,

I have a zebra rug in very very poor condition and am in the process of hydrating it prior to fatliquoring. I am wondering how I guage or can calculate how much fatliquor it will require as I found when hydrating it it was so dry that it needed more than 3 bottles of hydrator applied? Can you tell by squeezing the leather once the fatliquor is applied as I cannot weigh the hide to do the calculations you have written out.

Also there are some very badly damaged areas with degraded hide and holes would it be best to use the Stucco in combination with the suede patches on these areas? I am about to order 14 odd patches to repair the damage once I have fatliquored it...would it be better to buy a larger sheet of suede from you to cut patches myself?

Unfortunately the hide has been stored very badly and should have been treated ages ago. I cannot seem to log in to the forum although I did register initially...it doesn't like my password anymore?! Kind regards,

Hi Roger,

Many thanks for your email. I have thoroughly read through everything now. My zebra is currently under plastic at my workplace warehouse saturated with hydrator. I will re visit Monday as it was hydrated Friday afternoon.

It has many badly damaged areas which have completely deteriorated (undiscovered pet soiling I suspect). It also has multiple tears. I will attempt to dab the stains clean before fatliquoring.

Re Fatliquoring, whilst still damp but no longer wet I should begin application of the fat liquor....Do I apply with the foam spatula as evenly as possible and let it sit for how long before the next coat? How many bottles would you see me needing? I purchased the concentrated kit for shipping purposes.

I will send you some images on Monday but fear you will put your hand to your forehead when you see it!!!

It is worth a try and I am sure I will restore it to at least a happier than current state no matter what. Thank goodness for you as I had no assistance from anyone locally. Kind regards,

Hi Roger,

As promised some images of my poor zebra!! Some completely disintegrated areas.... I have done first fatliquor today and will reapply heated formula tomorrow. Any advice how to do repairs to worst areas would be much appreciated. Kind regards,

Name:  IMG_20170925_161747.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  3.16 MB

Name:  IMG_20170925_161754.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  3.46 MB

Name:  IMG_20170925_161813.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  2.90 MB

Name:  IMG_20170925_161841.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  2.91 MB

Name:  IMG_20170925_161848.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  2.98 MB
    Last edited by Questions!; 09-25-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Thread Information