Thread: 1985 Mercedes 280E - leather that is hardened and cracked!

Default 1985 Mercedes 280E - leather that is hardened and cracked!

I have a rare 1985 standard version 280E with M110 engine, manual 5 speed, and full leather interior. The car came from the factory with the leather interior but I'm not sure what I have is original? Front seats have some really hard places that need help. I was hoping to use your kit to see if I could improve them.

Some advice please and I'll get started and then send you pics of the problem areas. I had some old containers of Leatherique which I probably should have thrown out. I applied the product to the seats but I did not follow up with the Leatherique cleaner because the first product did not seem to loosen any imbedded dirt.

Should I just use your cleaner product and follow your Restorative instructions or use the Leatherique cleaner (questionable age) first and then follow with your cleaner??

This 85 W123 280E came from the factory with a full leather interior. The leather is not of the same quality as that on my 79 450 SEL 6.9. The front seats have leather that is hardened and cracked on the bolster pads at the edge of each seat. I'm almost afraid to try to do something to make the front seat leather better but if I do nothing it will only get worse.

Name:  20170725_120235.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  2.96 MB

Name:  20170725_120248.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  3.07 MB

Name:  20170725_120304.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  2.85 MB
    Last edited by Questions!; 07-28-2017 at 07:25 AM.

>>> Should I just use your cleaner product and follow your Restorative instructions or use the Leatherique cleaner (questionable age) first and then follow with your cleaner??

Not recommended to cross system as they may not be compatible.

Embedded dirt or soiling has to be removed prior to softening the harden leather, cracks will need repairs and refinishing.

From picture #1 test a section of the side panel with Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 soil removing system first by

1- Prep-7.7 is applied with Brush-1 evenly and leave overnight.
    2- Clean-3.8 is applied thereafter to remove both the Prep-7.7 residue and suspended soiling with horsehair detailing Brush-1.
    3- Rine-3.0 is applied, brush and towel extract until it shows clean.

Let see some result before you attempt the entire seat.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information