Thread: Dye product difference

Default Dye product difference

Hey Roger,
    I am actually going to purchase many of your products. Can you tell me if you use Micro 54 dyes on full finish leathers such as car seats?
    Also,
    I mentioned using solvent dyes but after reading your description of Aniline 21 they may be more what I am looking for. I have used aniline dyes from Leathermaster but they are weak in color and require several applications. Your Aniline 21 sounds like it has stronger color that you dilute but it actually penetrates the leather as solvent dyes do. Is this correct?
    Thank you,
    Frank

>>> Can you tell me if you use Micro 54 dyes on full finish leathers such as car seats?

Micro-54 is an opaque generic pigment (not a dye) used for all pigmented leathers including semi-aniline or micro-pigmented, that where the name comes from “micro”. Micro pigments are used in the tannery to turn unmarketable aniline that has too much imperfection into sellable “micro-pigmented” or semi-aniline leathers. It is also used to block off residual stains from aniline leathers in the lighter color range so that Aniline-76 coating system is applied over.

>>> Your Aniline 21 sounds like it has stronger color that you dilute but it actually penetrates the leather as solvent dyes do. Is this correct?

Aniline-21 “stains” the below leather fibrous structure and crust; it does not stain the top coating if any. It will require Aniline-76 to coat over existing topcoat. Moreover, solvent dyestuff dries up the leather of its fatliquor (fat and oil) thus the leather stiff up after dyeing as compared when waterbased dyestuff is used.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 07-10-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Thread Information