>>> but the pigment dyes I use and the top coat become tacky when re exposed to the body oils which caused the initial damage. The dyes used originally do not become tacky in a body oil environment even when the leather is damaged.

Not too sure I understand you, could you re-phrase it?

>>> I know it has body oils but do not know how to explain the peeling.

Peeling of finishing has a relation to the leather crust. In low-end leather corrected grains are used, that is the grains has been buffed that is not as strong as full-grain without correction or buffing. Sometimes a split may be used on the lower-end leather, thus lower density of grain. Solvent-based degreaser removes the primer that strengthens the tightness of the leather crust surface. When leather is dry of its original fatliquor it looses its strength as well. When strength is lost from the primer (Adhesor-73) and fatliquor (Fatliquor-5.0), the leather crust fibers exfoliate. Thus in such cases the loose deteriorated fiber is still attached to the base of the pigment.

>>> Do your products hold up on these type repairs? Would you provide products and procedures to repair this damage?

In order for new finishes to have good anchorage or piling the recommended procedures are:

1- Degreasing
with Degreaser-2.2

2- pH balancing, Rinsing and Ionic Positive (+ve) Charging
with Acidifier-2.0

3- Hydrating
with Hydrator-3.3

4- Leather Rejuvenating or Softening
with Fatliquor-5.0

Note: above product suffix number denotes its pH value.

5- Impregnating
with Impregnating-26

6- Primer / Sealer / Adhesion Promotion
with Adhesor-73

7- Pigment Coating
with Micro-54 + Thickener-48

8- Top Coating
with MicroTop-54S/G/M

9- Tacky Control
with Crosslinker-25 added to the top coating.

10- Rub-Resistant Protection
with Protector-B/B+ to reduce peeling.

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]