Thread: Chocolate Stain

Default Chocolate Stain

I am new to the forum, arriving here from a search to address a chocolate stain I have in my aniline (?) leather couch. I was sitting in the couch a week ago and lost a dark chocolate. I found it the next morning, squashed on the seat, and I am now wondering how to clean the stain. Photo attached ...

Name:  IMG_0175.JPG
Views: 446
Size:  1.89 MB

In my search, I came across an old post in this forum from 2009, and would like to know if the recommended cleaning process has changed any from that stated in the post - Leather Degreaser 2.2 and Leather Rinse 3.0.

http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...hocolate-stain!

Thanks in advance!

>>> a chocolate stain I have in my aniline (?) leather couch.

Leather is identified as Aniline Wax Pull-up and here is a brief description of this leather type . . .
    Wax pull-up leathers derive its color from dyestuff and effect wax that gives the leather a lively distressed look. When this leather is pulled, stretched or scratched, the waxes dissipate characteristically and become lighter in those areas. Sunlight and stretching through high wear areas are two main indications that the infused wax needs replenishing. As is, effect wax behaves just like the primary fatliquor they do diminish through ageing and will need periodic replenishing. Besides contributing to the color intensity, it improves in water shedding effect. Effect wax when applied to the leather penetrates while some transforms into fine cloudy crystal and remains on the surface. The dried surface white powdery deposits are then heat activated and when they melt, they coat the surface with a glossy sheen. In a restorative care cycle a urethane gloss topcoats is applied to restore its original appearance. In every of these kits there is a bottle of EffectWax-8.6 to work in conjunction with other system products in a holistic approach for maintaining or restoring this unique characteristic only to aniline wax pull-up leathers.

An example: Crate&Barrel Leather - Libby is a beautiful top-grain, natural leather with a pull-up effect, which creates a beautiful aged look. This leather gets its pull-up effect from oils and waxes that are applied during the finishing process. When the leather is stretched, the oils and waxes are displaced, causing the stretched area to become lighter in color. Libby is a topgrain, non-corrected leather that allows nature's markings such as scars and wrinkles to show and is considered part of the natural beauty of a genuine leather product. Since the finish for Libby is rather transparent and has no pigmentation in it special care is required. It should be kept out of direct sunlight and away from exposure to vents as drying and/or fading could occur. Minor spills should be cleaned with a clean, white cloth.

>>> I was sitting in the couch a week ago and lost a dark chocolate. I found it the next morning, squashed on the seat, and I am now wondering how to clean the stain.

Use this Aniline (A.pw) Wax Pull-up - Leather Problem Solving Instruction/Matrix as reference:
    Name:  aniline-a.pw-pull-up-wax.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  355.5 KB

Looking at the class of “Stain Type” a dark chocolate may be a combination of row #B4 & #B1.

Thus a combine sequence of stain removal is recommended as:

A- Surface Stain Removal:
    1- Use Eraser-4
    2- Use CleanProtein-9.9 > Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system.

B- Below-Surface Stain Removal:
    3- Hydrator-3.3 continuous immediately after Acidifier-2.0 with evaporation control and working with Towel-5 using ‘reverse-transfer’ technique to wick the stain off the surface and erase with Eraser-4 to satisfaction.

C- Leather Rejuvenation:
    4- Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system applies to restore leather suppleness.

D- Wax Pull-up Effect Rejuvenation:
    5- EffectWax-8.6 applies to restore the pull-up effect and impart a natural gloss by heat activation.

E- Gloss Topcoat Application:
    6- AnilineTop-76G applies to restore the gloss level to its original luster.

F- Protector-D/D+
    7- Protector-D (scentless) or Protector-D+ (leather scented) applies to prolong the wear to the topcoat.

>>> In my search, I came across an old post in this forum from 2009, and would like to know if the recommended cleaning process has changed any from that stated in the post - Leather Degreaser 2.2 and Leather Rinse 3.0.
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...hocolate-stain!

That, leather is the standard “Aniline”, yours is Aniline with a fashion “Wax Pull-up effect” thus a slight variation to return the leather back to its originality.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information