Thread: Painted over the vachetta

Default Painted over the vachetta

Hi,
    I tried fixing this bag with new paint, but it does not look smooth and it has scratches. Can you recommend any thing for this? I haven't used the the acrylic just leather paint. Name:  IMG-20170408-WA0001.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  86.3 KB

I painted over the vachetta because the leather had a black brown color. I sand the leather and then tried to hydrate with loation and it turn black. I thought there was no fixing it so I painted over it but u can still see a little bit of where I sanded the leather and the paint is rough.

>> I painted over the vachetta because the leather had a black brown color.

Is this black brown color from body oil, grease and sweat?
    If so the paint will peel soon - recommend to strip the paint off with Stripper-2.3 (this is a pH 2.3 stripper that is leather-safe with pH control).
    The contamination need to be removed with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system - otherwise the fermenting sweat will result in a rise of the pH value of the amphoteric leather protein fiber resulting in the denaturing of the leather when the leather constituents like the tanning agents and fatliquor breaks its hydrogen bond.

>>> I sand the leather

Not recommend to sand the grain of the leather, the surface becomes more porous and soiling conditioner will aggravate. Use LeatherEraser-4 instead. Magic Eraser behaves like a superfine sandpaper will also damage the grain of the leather.

>>> and then tried to hydrate with loation and it turn black.

What lotion have you used - what is the pH value - any alkalinity will act as a catalyze and compound the sweat contamination that typically turns black due to alkaline over-exposure. VachettaPro-1.2 (pH 1.2) > Acidifier-2.0 (pH 2.0) system will neutralize this darkening effect. With immediate hydration with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system to prevent accelerating cracking of the leather when dry. Further lightening of the darkening effect is with a redox (reduction-oxidation) treatment with Vachetta-2.8.

>>> I thought there was no fixing it so I painted over it but u can still see a little bit of where I sanded the leather and the paint is rough.

The rebuilding of the rough skin is with Adhesor-73. However, this repair will darken the skin and need a color refinishing to simulate the original appearance.

Let us know which route you wish to take and we can discuss in more details.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Hi Roger,

My wife would like to keep the color that it was painted. Can you let me know what products do you have that I can get the leather soft and then I can repaint it.

>>> Can you let me know what products do you have that I can get the leather soft.
    Use Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system to soften the leather for suppleness and strength.

>>> and then I can repaint it.
    Napa-84 “pigmented” color system is recommended for Vachetta leathers due to its ability to retain the breathability of these naked unfinished leathers. Tips for color matching example can be found from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/color-p...ding-examples/

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information