Thread: Restoring Caviar Leather on iPhone case

Default Restoring Caviar Leather on iPhone case

Good afternoon,

I would like to know which kit/products I can use to restore this case in caviar leather. The original color is black. Name:  IMG_5880 (1).JPG
Views: 787
Size:  2.81 MBName:  IMG_5882 (1).JPG
Views: 815
Size:  1.74 MB

First approach is to identify the leather type and finishes.
    Looks to me, its chrome-tanned due to the bluish/grey leather crust at the folding edges. The finish could be either napallan, which is an emulsion “opaque” pigment, finish with a discontinuous film that also allows breathability. Or it could be a higher end finish with a “transparent” finishes. Can’t tell until the unwanted residues are totally removed. However, a “transparent” Aniline-76 finishes will produce a classier finish typical to Chanel, otherwise the more artificial look from an “opaque” finish may also be used to hide some imperfection with Napa-84 system.
    I would go for Kit-A7.cl system; subject to inspection after the “Dry Preparation” process to determine if there are imperfection to hide. An ‘opaque’ system has more hiding power then a “transparent” system. However, a transparent with more beauty of depth appears more luxury. Kit-A7.cl will definitely match the typical original finished of Chanel aniline bag.

For your reading . . .
    Name:  Kit-A7.cl.JPG
Views: 755
Size:  1.42 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a7-...finishing-kit/
    Aniline leather is soft and natural. Lambskin will be softer than the adult skin. They are usually first treated with transparent dyestuff to make the grain and natural characteristics more visible. Modern tannery dyeing is done in a rotating drum in a continuous process follows with fatliquoring. When dried thereafter, the leather goes through another selection or grading to decide the best treatment to bring out their potential softness and natural look. However, the bulk of aniline leathers after dyeing may reveal uneven grain dye absorbency and too many faults, to that the variation in color over the entire grain surface is too great for many leather fabrications. Thus, they are further sub-divide into various varieties, such as "full aniline" with an even appearance and "full sauvage aniline" for an uneven appearance, to the lowest grade where a micro-pigment coating hides any imperfections known as "semi-aniline".

Use this Aniline (A.f) Full as reference guide when comes to cleaning and restoration. Identify the problem from the left column and the top row the product recommended and the numbers is the sequence of steps. When leather have compound issue combine the soiling, stain and odor types as the cleaning phase-1 and the leather rejuvenating with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 as the second phase-2. Structural problem as third phase-3, Finishing as phase-4 and protection of the finishes as phase-5.
    Name:  aniline-a.fs-full-sauvage.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  310.4 KB

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thank you Roger! Very helpful information. I did the water check last night and it did not absorb within 2 minutes (it just sat there) - this could be because I put a conditioner on it. Could you please go ahead and send the recommended kit to me?

Default Please help

Good morning Roger,

I received the package you sent me. I was studying this forum and the chart but I'm 100% confident I know exactly what to do. Would mind providing me step-by-step instructions in this thread? It would be greatly appreciated.

1st Phase “Wet Process”.

Purpose is to remove soiling and unwanted application to the original finish coating (worn or weak finishes is recommended to removed to prevent premature peeling). And continue leather rejuvenating to Fatliquor-5.0 before allowing to dry. Technically, at 25% combine moisture level the next application continues or towel wipe until towel shows dry. The last Fatliquor-5.0 is a multiple application because the water content of 83.33% needs to evaporate to make room for additional application. It is the fat and oil moisture content that is useful to the life of the leather for plumpness and suppleness.

Sequence is as follows:
    Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 >>> Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 >>> Hydrator-3.3

Note: The 3rd stage of the Hydrator-3.3 is to clean up any Fatliquor-5.0 that remains on the leather surface otherwise it will interfere with the color refinishing process.

Let see how this turns out, before we go into the 2nd Phase “Dry Process”.

Further readings:
    Degreaser-2.2
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/degreaser-2-2/

Acidifier-2.0
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/acidifier-2-0/

Hydrator-3.3
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/hydrator-3-3/

Fatliquor-5.0
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/

Let me know if you need clarifictions!

Roger Koh

Good morning Roger,

I have completed the steps you provided and I definitely see positive progress. I'm attaching pictures so you can advise my next steps. While it's improved, it doesn't have the sheen that I think it should have. I'm also attaching a picture of my caviar card holder for comparison. Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks again for all your help.Name:  Card holder for comparison.JPG
Views: 762
Size:  153.9 KBName:  Restoration Stage 1b.JPG
Views: 734
Size:  125.5 KBName:  Restoration State 1a.JPG
Views: 709
Size:  134.3 KB

Good morning Mr. Koh,

I'm excited to show you the results! I especially enjoyed the process of bringing this case back to life!Name:  Final.JPG
Views: 706
Size:  183.8 KB

Thank you so much.

>>> I'm excited to show you the results! I especially enjoyed the process of bringing this case back to life!

It looks like it has come to life and the color richness matches the card holder?

Now that you have done it, you would forever have brand new leathers - isn't it exciting?

However, like to know your process and I will give tips how to improve further.

Roger Koh

Yes, the color is very very close!

I am so excited that I discovered your website, products and this forum. I can't wait for my next project! My husband now wants me to work on his ostrich boots (:

The process I used to finish it (after doing your recommended first phase "wet process"):
    At the hydrator point, I wrapped it in cellophane for 24 hours. I did about 4-5 fatliquor treatments followed by final hydrator rinse. Let it dry overnight. Then I used Eraser 4 lightly and brushed surface off with horse hair brush you provided. I applied about 4 coats of Aniline Top 76G (with sponge tool you provided - dabbed it on, used a small art paint brush around the CC), blow-dried and used the 1000 grit sand paper between each coat. Then misted with the Protector B.

I would love to know if I could have improved the results (would even consider doing it again!). I'm very excited that I discovered your sight. I'm certain I'll be ordering more products.

And finally, I recently purchased a Chanel Lambskin bag and would like to know if there is anything I can do to protect it from the beginning.

Thank you again!

Hi Mr. Koh,

I responded to your last reply but it isn't showing....

>>> My husband now wants me to work on his ostrich boots (:
    Yes, you may post here for some tips - http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...ede-and-Nubuck

>>> I would love to know if I could have improved the results (would even consider doing it again!).

OK, you skip the color, that’s why you commented, “the color is very, very close” otherwise it might look even newer.

Tips -
    1- When coloring or topcoating, apply to each square or diamond shape individually.
    2- First base coating always rub hard for better anchorage with subsequent floating effect or soft touches to reduce streaks or drag. Wash out the brushes to reduce streaks or drags.
    3- Projects would become easier with better results as you do more.

>>> And finally, I recently purchased a Chanel Lambskin bag and would like to know if there is anything I can do to protect it from the beginning.

Use the Aniline (A.fs) Leather Problem Solving Matrix above to keep your leather looking good at all times . . .

Roger Koh

Thread Information