Thread: Vintage vachetta turn dark after and peeling

Default Vintage vachetta turn dark after and peeling

Hi roger,
    This lv bag is vintage the leather are turn brown and some area are peeling
    What will be the best way to restore this?
    I tried to use clean 3.8 and Cotton swap the area around the brass
    Sean the leather turn black and come out. And now everything seem to turn dark
    As in photo #1

I don't want to do much with the leather since it seem to be peeling
    Should I go on and start treat the bag or just leave it as is.
    Also after I applied hydrator and fattiliqour the piping turn completely black as shown photo #3

And what is the solution I should be using to treat the bag ?

Photo#1
    Name:  IMG_1735.JPG
Views: 1714
Size:  1.58 MB
    Photo#2
    Name:  IMG_1738.JPG
Views: 1386
Size:  2.50 MB
    Photo #3
    Name:  IMG_1737.JPG
Views: 1228
Size:  1.82 MB

>>> This lv bag is vintage.

How old is this vintage?

>>> the leather are turn brown

Do you have the history of care given to this bag - example products used - could be an accumulation of alkaline overexposure that cause it to turn brown. Example if you use an ammonia window glass cleaner you will get the same instant browning effect when it dries - although the ammonia cleaner is clear - it is the pH value of the ammonia that cause the browning - that is why you need to have a leather-safe system that is pH specific when comes to the care of this most pH sensitive leather.

>>> and some area are peeling

Peeling is just like our skin that exfoliate - it is dry rotting due to fatliquor over thirsty or dehydrated.

>>> What will be the best way to restore this?

Will need a holistic system to restore each stage of the leather - starting from the beginning - just like going through another tanning process - Yes, possible but will then need a color camouflaging of all the repairs - thus not returning back to the original but in a simulated version.

>>> I tried to use Clean-3.8 and Cotton swap the area around the brass. Sean the leather turn black and come out.

Around the brass turning black is the tarnish from the brass and will need CleanTarnish-1.3 > Basifier-8.8 systm to lighten up by redox (reduction-oxidation) and pH balanced to return to the leather pH neutral (iso-electric point or pI)

>>> And now everything seem to turn dark

Turning dark from the leather itself due to alkaline overexposure accumulated through the years should be rectified with Vachetta-2.8 first. CleanTannin-3.5 will also lighten by redox (reduction-oxidation) from any browning derived from vegetable and plant. More so on this leather because it is vegetable tanned. Dark around metals will need CleanTarnish-1.3 > Basifier-8.8 system mentioned above.

>>> I don't want to do much with the leather since it seem to be peeling

This condition calls for restoration cleaning thus use VachettaPro-1.2 instead of Clean-3.8 besides the cleaning strength the pH value is also lower - to neutralized accumulated alkaline over-exposure.

>>> Should I go on and start treat the bag or just leave it as is.

You may repeat your restoration in this sequence.
    VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 and make sure you apply aas much as possible each round when the fatliquor dries - Do not allow the leather to dry without sufficient fatliquor - otherwise you will see cracks amplified or accelerated.

>>> Also after I applied hydrator and fattiliqour the piping turn completely black as shown photo #3
    The alkaline contamination need to by neutralized in the above VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.
    Further browning are treated with Vachetta-2.8, CleanTannin-3.5 and CleanTarnish-1.3 > Basifier-8.8 accordingly.
    Note the product suffix denotes its pH value - alway returning the leather pH value to 2 - 4 (1 pH point lower) for this pH more sensitive leather.

>>> And what is the solution I should be using to treat the bag?

Use the “reverse-transfer” technique:
    b) “Reverse Transfer” technique with its unique stretchability during wet application and shrinking with tightening up during the drying process, this phenomenon allows the suspending or migrating soiling particulates to wick through and easily peeling off the stain when crispy dry, instead of still remaining on the leather surface. The strength of this single ply allows the wet paper to further work with a combination of spraying-on and horsehair Brush-1 without separating, creasing or tearing, thus ensuring an efficient airtight seal with an even essential surface contact.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/towel-5/

Reading Tips:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/hydrator-3-3/
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information