Thread: Eames Restoration Question

Default Eames Restoration Question

Hello! First post on the forum. I was blessed with an original Eames chair and ottoman by my grandparents. It has certainly seen use over the years and it can really use a good cleaning and moisturization. I'm afraid to use anything that will truly change or damage the leather in a measurable way, so I really haven't used any products on it. Any suggestions? Pictures attached.Name:  IMG_20170304_131526.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  3.81 MBName:  IMG_20170304_131531.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  3.49 MBName:  IMG_20170304_131536.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  3.91 MBName:  IMG_20170304_131542.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  3.94 MBName:  IMG_20170304_131658.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  3.90 MBName:  IMG_20170304_131802.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  4.08 MB

>>> I was blessed with an original Eames chair and ottoman by my grandparents.

Indeed you are, we do not need to go to the New York City of Modern Art or travel to Europe, to the Hamburg Museum of Arts and Crafts - I believe it is still there in a rotation display - so the timing has to be right too. Not only his homeland honor his artistic contribution, the other side of the “Pond” (Atlantic Ocean) is also proud of his contribution to inspire more designers. It is not only functional but is also a three dimensional display of sculpture. There are not too many artistic pieces, this classic piece was designed by Charles and Ray Eames, the husband and wife team who made significant historical contribution to the development of modern furniture known as the Eames Lounge Chair - will you donate it to me - I too will be blessed by you? LOL!

If you could donate to me (LOL!), we closed the subject!

Are you excited with what a museum piece you have in your room before we discuss further how we could restore it backs to its former glory?

>>> Any suggestions?

Sure I will follow up with my suggestion - too much for you to swallow in one go - I think!

Picture of Ray and Charles Eames with the winning awards!

Name:  Ray_and_Charles_Eames.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  51.8 KB

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-06-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I am blessed to have this for two reasons. One, it is an original, an authentic, not a replication. It was purchased by my grandmother for my grandfather in the late 1950s after he returned from a tour in the Korean war. Two, it has immense sentimental value. For many years when I was a child, it was located in the family room of my grandparents home; I remember many holidays, when the women cleaned and did the dishes and chatted, the kids and the men would go to the family room to watch sports. My grandfather took his seat of honor and when his knee prevented him from getting in and out of the chair, I'd sit in it with one or more of my cousins on my lap. My grandmother moved it upstairs to make room for a chair my grandfather could sit in more comfortably, and there it stayed for many years. She knew how much I loved the chair and when I moved in to my first apartment, she gave it to me. My grandparents were the most important people in my life and when I look at the chair, I think of them and our love for each other. The fact it was upstairs and then in storage and now in my living room but not in direct sunlight, is, I believe, what has kept the leather in an okay state for all these years.

If you have many suggestions or it's an involved process, let's take it slowly -- you're a font of useful information, but it can be overwhelming. In reading basically every post on purses and the LV purses, I think I have sufficient information to restore my bag, but it took days of reading to ready myself. We can take it step-by-step and post pictures as the process evolves.

To let you know what products of your we'll have, I ordered the 7+ piece LV kit -- as soon as it arrives, we'll have degreaser, prep, rinse, acidifier, hydrator and fatliquor.

Thanks in advance -- my husband and I are so excited to start the restoration process so we can have the chair back in our lives full time.

Jennifer.

Hello Roger,

Just want to check in, make sure you haven't forgotten about me! We ordered the kit last week, I believe it should be on its way, and I know my husband and I are eager to get started on the odyssey of restoration.

We look forward to hearing from you.

>>> If you have many suggestions or it's an involved process, let's take it slowly -- you're a font of useful information, but it can be overwhelming.

The leather is identified as “mono-tone pigmented” with “simulated leather or artificial” trim Restoration cleaning and refinishing is the same but repair varies. We shall discuss about the restoration first, depending on the outcome and may consider refinishing if you wish to camouflage the trim repairs.

For your readings - leather type:
    Pigmented leather is also known as painted, protected or finished leather. Pigment finish has important hiding power property, so that one cannot see through the imperfection. A pigmented leather finish system comprises of an adhesion coating, color coating and a top coating. Types and qualities differ from fine to heavy application to match the different grades of leather. The overall quality of pigmented leathers depends on the grade of leather crust derived from such as full-grain, top-grain and corrected-grain. Although they are the best stain resistant among all leather types, dye transfer stain such as from blue jeans is one common problem. The breakthrough method to remove dye stains including ballpoint ink is by “reverse transferring” technique using Prep-7.7 system approach.

Recommended Kit-P3
    Name:  Kit-P3.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  1.69 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-p3-...ther-care-kit/
    Leather Doctor® Kit-P3, pigmented leather, care kit is an innovative leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) system developed for keeping leather at their highest level of appearance besides maintaining their structural chemistry integrity and enhancing their suppleness. Pigmented finishes develop micro crazing as it ages and heat dries out the fatliquor (fat and oil) from these weak point and stitching holes. The diminishing of the fatliquor empties the leather that results in creases and wrinkles. Stiffness to the leather is another sign of fatliquor diminishing that collapse the inter-fibrillary spaces making the fiber becomes stick together and when flexed during used will lead to cracks. Periodic use of Hydrator-3.3 to hydrate the stick together fibers prior to fatliquor replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0 will keep the leather supple and strong. Thus, reduce the premature ageing of the leather against stiffness and cracking. The surface wear of the leather is greatly reduced when friction noise is kept low. The noise reduction is accomplished with rub-resistant Protector-B+ that imparts a natural buttery-feel. Periodic cleaning and rinsing with Clean-3.8 follows by Rinse-3.0 to the body contact area helps reduce greasy soiling build-up. Removing of unwanted stains such as ink or the common new blue jeans is accomplished with Prep-7.7. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this leather-safe holistic care system.
    Recommended Level of Cleaning:

Restorative Care:

This is the ultimate restorative or salvage care system that removes accumulated soiling including aged conditioners. Accumulated soiling that fills creases is often mistaken for cracks. Using Prep-7.7 performs restorative cleaning. It works by chemical reaction to emulsify soiling through its penetrating, lubricating and suspending power. Horsehair detailing Brush-1 is recommended to worked into heavily soiled areas sufficiently to avoid excessive agitation that might damage already weaken finishes especially on heavily used areas.

1st phase - Restorative Cleaning:
    1. Apply Prep-7.7 and agitate with horsehair Brush-1, ensuring a uniform application over the entire surfaces a section at a time.
    2. Allow a dwell time of 10 to 30 minutes or before it dries prior to towel extraction until it shows clean.
    3. Sticky residue is removed by Clean-3.8 with gentle brush agitation and towel extracts until it shows clean.
    4. Remaining residues are spray rinse with Rinse-3.0 and towel extracts to a squeaky-clean.
    5. Let dry and inspect for satisfaction, otherwise repeat cleaning process as necessary or proceed to hydrating.

2nd phase – Hydrating:
    Hydrating is essential to relax and separate the stick together collapsing fibrous structure. Its surfactantcy helps check for surface tension of blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing.
    1. Spray Hydrator-3.3 to saturate with an even appearance to soften up the leather.
    2. Let dwell 10 to 30 minutes and towel extract wick up soiling until it shows clean.

3rd phase – Fatliquoring:
    Fat and oil replenishing maintains the leather’s structure integrity and pliability thus strengthen these exposed leather from cracking.
    1. Spray Fatliquor-5.0 in like manner as Hydrator-3.3 and let dry naturally.
    2. Repeat application in between drying until saturated.
    3. The leather is left for slow natural drying for extra softness.
    4. Surface strays are wiped with Hydrator-3.3 to free of sticky residue.

4th phase – Preventive Care:
    1. Mist sprays Protector-B/B+ spread with lint free towel and is ready for use when dry.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information