Thread: Cow hide bought on holiday and now possibly regretting it

Default Cow hide bought on holiday and now possibly regretting it

I bought this on a whim in Morocco and was assured it would eventually like flat naturally- I don't think that's going to happen. I would really appreciate any advice on whether it can ever become a flat rug or I should cut my losses and use it for something else. Thank you for any help. Sorry if the picture is too big, couldn't get the hang of attaching a cropped photo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes!
    This rug will be as flat as you wish; it will need be hydrated to ease of its uneven tension and fatliquored thereafter.
    Here is the how-to information.
    Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system products mentioned are found in this Kit-H4+ http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-h4-...ting-care-kit/
    Attachment 7464
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 01-23-2017 at 07:51 PM.

testing, testing . . .

Thanks Roger, did you include an attachment with instructions as I can't open it

How to Lay Flat a Cowhide and other Hair-on Rug?

Cowhide and other hair-on rug may not lie flat the first time or may eventually curl up again at the edges. This refuse to lay flat phenomenon is directly related to the dryness of its original fatliquor (ionic negative charged fat and oil). Optimum average percentage of fat and oil content averages 14% (read from a leather moisture meter or equivalent). Moisture meter may show percentage fluctuation of fat and oil moisture level from area to area when a rug is first put to lie flat and as the rug ages the edges that curls normally reflects drops in percentages of fat and oil content as well due to evaporation. To rectify and put the rug to lay flat to satisfaction, the rug has to be hydrated to even out its uneven tension in additional to fat and oil content replenished to increase its suppleness. Without topping up its fat and oil content the rug will stiff up and eventually leads to cracks and tears. Hydrating to preconditionering the rug prior to Fatliquoring (fat and oil replenishing) instruction is as follows . . .

J1- The rug is turn over to the suede side.

J2- Soiling is removed with hideBrush-4 and deteriorated fibers exfoliated with suedeEraser-5.

J3- Suspended soiling is vacuum dust free.

J4- The thickness of the hide is saturated to an optimum level with moistures oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers with Hydrator-3.3.

J5- The hide is cover up with a heavy plastic sheet for control evaporation laying flat without air space and letting it dwell up to 72hrs for complete hydration or saturation.

J6- Periodically, while still damp under plastic sheet, it is then work over the plastic sheet by using a spatula from the center to the edges to flatten the lay.

J7- Troublesome areas may need reapplication of Hydrator-3.3 and work over again until satisfaction.

J8- With inspection satisfaction of flatten rug, the plastic sheet is removed and
    fatliquoring continues.

J9- The hide is towel clean extracted from the center to the edges until a dry cotton terry towel shows clean and dry.

J10- Before the hide dries Fatliquor-5.0 is applied and distributed with foamBrush-3” to saturation.

J11- With each almost drying cycle more fatliquor is applied until the pre-determine amount is replenished to achieve the desired average 14 percentage of fat and oil content when dried.

J12- The hide is left for slow drying for extra suppleness and ready to be flip over ready for use.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 01-26-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Thread Information