Thread: Leather Dye Louis Vuitton Vachetta

Default Leather Dye Louis Vuitton Vachetta

Hi, i paint Louis Vuitton bags, but i seen in some that they are cracking when i paint them with fiebings leather dye, why is it the alcohol that dry them?

Most of the bags, i get are really in bad shape, handles are so dark from oils of the skin, and water spots.

Do u have any tips for me of what i can use so the leather don't crack on me i prepared with acetone 100% to open the pores, so it can take the paint, what paints do u recommend, dyes and acrylics.

And the steps i can take to prepared and paint.

And on acrylic what is best since some of them the pain get chipped on the corners

Name:  IMG_3806.JPG
Views: 8151
Size:  1.66 MB

Name:  IMG_3825.JPG
Views: 6868
Size:  2.71 MB

Name:  IMG_4271.JPG
Views: 6648
Size:  1.80 MB

Name:  IMG_4716.JPG
Views: 5656
Size:  1.72 MB

Name:  IMG_4817.JPG
Views: 5416
Size:  2.44 MB

>>> Hi, i paint Louis Vuitton bags,
    Louis Vuitton Vachetta leather originally is without any paints or dyes. The color comes from the vegetable-tanning agents used and is left naked unfinished. A detail cleaning is recommended prior to resorting to coloring or painting, which will deviate from the original appearance.

>>> but i seen in some that they are cracking when i paint them with fiebings leather dye,
    Vachetta leather needs a higher percentage of moisture (fat and oil) content up to 15% in order to stay away from cracking. When there are signs of cracks the leather is highly recommended to be rejuvenated with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 first otherwise any liquid applied will further cracks the leather. The fatliquor content is the lifeblood.

>>> why is it the alcohol that dry them?
    Alcohol dyes will further dries up the fatliquor, a water-based pigment coloring has less chance to dry up the fatliquor. It is also quite impractical to dye over soil-contaminated leathers as any soiling may still show through and any grease and oil will result in blotchy appearance.
    The best approach is to degrease with a water-based Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0 as phase-1 and Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 Hydrator-3.3 as phase-2. Repairs as phase-3. Opaque Vachetta-84 pigment to cover up stubborn stains and a matte VachettaTop-84 topcoat retain the natural look without a luster.

>>> Most of the bags, i get are really in bad shape, handles are so dark from oils of the skin, and water spots.
    Body oil, grease and sweat are removed with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system. Note that the suffix name represents the pH value of the products. Besides degreasing and rinsing, the low pH value charges the leather protein fibers ionic positive (+ve), so that the ionic negative (-ve) fatliquor (fat and oil) hydrogen bond with increased strength. Any stuffing fat and oil other then Fatliquor-5.0 will darken this pH sensitive leathers.

>>> Do u have any tips for me of what i can use so the leather don't crack on me i prepared with acetone 100% to open the pores, so it can take the paint,
    Acetone will results in more cracking and is not recommended, instead use a water-based low pH Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system.

>>> what paints do u recommend, dyes and acrylics. And the steps i can take to prepared and paint.

The inevitable color refinishing recommended is with Vachetta-84 > VachettaTop-84 system. Vachetta-84 is easily applied with painting brush and VachetaTop-84 seals and returns a non-luster finishes that stimulate its original nakedness appearances. Protection to the finishes is with Protector-B/B+.

>>> And on acrylic what is best since some of them the pain get chipped on the corners
    The strength of the grain plays an important role when comes to adhesion, thus a well-rejuvenated leather is strengthen against poor adhesion (on closer look sometimes it is the grain weakness that exfoliates and mistaken as color peeling). The softer the binder the less brittle it is from chipping when flexed or knocks. A water based emulsion lacquer like Vachetta-84 > VachettaTop-84 system is recommended. A rub-resistant protection using Protector-B/B+ helps wear to friction rubs on the corners.

Picture #4
    Repairs to split corners is with Bond-3D and Patch-4S or donor fibers to becomes part of a lasting repairs.

You may use this Vachetta - (V) Leather Problem Solving Matrix as reference for your projects.
    Name:  Vachetta2 - (V).jpg
Views: 4711
Size:  329.7 KB

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 06-09-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Thread Information