Thread: Stickley Rocker and Ottoman - body oil, grease and sweat, sun fading & crackings

Default Stickley Rocker and Ottoman - body oil, grease and sweat, sun fading & crackings

I have a red leather stickley rocker and ottoman.

Both have been used well and exposed to the sun.

The portion at the top has oil/stain from head and neck.

I would like to clean and refresh the leather.

Also I would like to bring the red color back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I have received none from my contact with Stickley.

FYI I have Austrian/German heritage so my concerns my be higher than the situation requires.

However, I care for the things I acquire and desire to have them last generationally.

That said, the chair is 20+ years old.

The leather is stained with oils at the head of the back cushion.

Stripped by sun bleaching.

Cracks are showing at stress points on the seat cushion and ottoman.

I have used Lexol(?) leather care to try to hydrate the leather.

Your understanding of Ph seems to make great sense.

My goal is to improve protect recolor and preserve the leather.

Actually got a person at Stickley who suggested enhancing the color cannot be done after it is put it during the tanning.

Let me know your opinion.

Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 475
Size:  2.18 MB

Name:  image2.jpeg
Views: 475
Size:  1.55 MB

Name:  image3.jpeg
Views: 446
Size:  3.00 MB

Name:  image4.jpeg
Views: 451
Size:  1.92 MB

Name:  image5.jpeg
Views: 417
Size:  2.35 MB

Name:  image6.jpeg
Views: 435
Size:  2.78 MB

Name:  image7.jpeg
Views: 440
Size:  1.33 MB

The sequence of restoration is recommended as follows:

Phase-1 – Degreasing – “The leather is stained with oils at the head of the back cushion.”
    Degreasing is perform by Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.
    Stains are penetrated below surface, thus Degreaser-2.2 has to follow the depth of the stain in order to emulsify it. Surface soiling is removed by Eraser-4. Acidifier-2.0 is for surface rinsing and Hydrator-3.3 is for bringing the suspended soiling particulates to the surface. Towel-5 is used for reverse-transfer of soiling particulates to be peel off rather than letting them remaining of the leather surface.

Phase-2 – pH balancing – “The portion at the top has oil/stain from head and neck.”
    Amphoteric leather fiber exposed to body sweat cause damages and may reveal as tackiness when damp and should be neutralized with Acidifier-2.0 until it returns to a healthy squeaky-feel. When sweat ages the ammonia contents shift the amphoteric leather fibers ionic positive (+ve) to negative (-ve). Thus the leather protein fibers repel the other ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents like the tanning agents, dyestuff and fatliquor.
    Signs of leather denaturing is when the exposed area feels tacky with wet fingers, a healthy leather have a squeaky-feel to it just like fresh fish.
    Dye bleeding when wet clean with a white terry cotton towel is another sign of leather denaturing from alkaline pH exposure. Cracks on alkaline overexposure areas is also a sign that the original fatliquor have leach out or break the hydrogen bond with the leather protein fiber. Acidifier-2.0 a pH 2.0 leather safe pH conditioner helps to strengthen the positive (+ve) attraction of the leather protein fibers, the leather returns to a healthy squeaky-feel and dye bleeding stops.

Phase-3 – Hydrating – “Cracks are showing at stress points on the seat cushion and ottoman.”
    Cracks are progressive, as the leather is dry of its original fatliquor ‘ionic negative (–ve) charged fat and oil’ from 14% - 16% and diminishes suppleness is reduced and stiffness begins, and when flexed will leads to cracks. Hydrating with Hydrator-3.3 is to relax and swell the leather structure. Hydrating up to 72hrs with control evaporation will helps to close up the finer cracks. Fatliquor-5.0 replenishing once the leather is plump and surface towel extract until towel shows dry.

Phase-4 – Fatliquoring - “Also I would like to bring the red color back.”
    Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system not only returns the leather to suppleness, reduce micro-cracking it will also rejuvenate the surface color from within the leather structure. 1/6 part of Fatliquor-5.0 will remain in the leather structure with the fat content that plumps the leather for fullness and the oil content lubricates the interlocking fibrils with suppleness. The tear or crack strength of the leather is in direct proportion with the amount of fatliquor contents and up to 2000psi is achieved with sufficient fatliquor (fat and oil) content. A higher content of fatliquor also increase the color intensity after the dormant dyestuff within the leather structure is reactivated and resurface for a richer appearance.
    Aniline-76 a coating transparent dyestuff is recommended when additional coloring is desired.

Phase-5 – Dry Soil Removal
    Eraser-4 removes wick-up soiling particulates. It will also remove damaged skin cells that result in an inevitable nubuck napped effect.

Phase-6 - Repairs
    Depending on the strength of the deteriorating leather surface, a fine 2000grit sanding may reduce the nap. Any napped surface will result in a darkening effect, thus Adhesor-73 may not be ideal unless the new coloring will be able to camouflage it. Repairs is only limited to AnilineTop-76G to retain color intensity. The whitish cracks and scratches are signs of topcoat damages and this is repair with AnilineTop-76G.

Phase-7 – Refinishing – “My goal is to improve protect recolor and preserve the leather.”
    A - Preserve the leather below surface is to have the leather returns to its original pH chemistry integrity with a pH range between 3 and 5 and this is done with a range of products leather-safe products formulated to preserve it.
    B - Color need to be restore and by reactivating existing color to resurface with the Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 is the best option, unless there is not sufficient dyestuff or insufficient hydrating new transparent coating dyestuff with Aniline-76 is recommended.
    C – Dyestuff will need to be sealed or protected with a topcoat like AnilineTop-76G, besides it will help to magnify and amplify its richness of appearance.
    D – To reduce surface wear to the leather Protector-B or B+ is recommended.

Let me know how far you wish to go and we can discuss further.

You may use this Aniline (A.fs) Full Sauvage Leather Problem Solving Matrix as guide
    Name:  Aniline (A.fs) - Full Sauvage.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  312.1 KB

Standard aniline topcoat refinishing is available as Kit-A6.tc
    Name:  Kit-A6.tc.JPG
Views: 434
Size:  1.47 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a6-...finishing-kit/

Standard Aniline leather dye refinishing kit is available as Kit-A7.cl
    Name:  DSC_0653.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  1.42 MB