Thread: Leather conditioner left a "stain"

Default Leather conditioner left a "stain"

Over the weekend I conditioned my leather car seats (they're perforated leather). I poured the conditioner directly on the seat (which was probably a mistake) but quickly spread it over the surface of the seat. After I removed all the excess, I could still see where I originally poured the conditioner. It looks like it left a stain. Is there a way to remove this? I've tried scrubbing with a damp cloth but that didn't work. I also tried applying more conditioner to even out the stain. Any recommendations to help solve this problem? Thank you!

Do you have some good pictures to show?

The stain could be pH value related (do you know its pH value) so that you may pH balance it.

It could be the oil content that gives a darkening effect.

Can you also show the products used?

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thanks, Roger. It's a BMW branded conditioner. Here's photos of the product and the seat. It was tough to get a photo of the "stain" but if you look close you can see some swirling on the seat.

Name:  File_000.jpeg
Views: 392
Size:  53.5 KBName:  File_001.jpeg
Views: 334
Size:  52.9 KBName:  File_002.jpeg
Views: 382
Size:  55.7 KB

>>> It's a BMW branded conditioner.

The conditioner used is not “leather-safe” to the leather structure (only meant for the finishes) that is why it stained the cross section (suede) of perforated holes, which is the leather structure. Surface finishes conditioner like Protector-B will not have such problems, for your information.

>>> Is there a way to remove this?

You will need a “leather-safe” degreaser like Degreaser-2.2 to break-up the conditioner and cause it to suspend. This has to follow with a rinse with a “leather-safe” Hydrator-3.3 to either helps it to disperse horizontally and any residue removed from the perforated holes.

The technical difficulty is the physical removal of the soiling particulates from the perforated cross section. The only practical solution is using a tooth prick to file it up and down each of the perforated holes.

Tips:
    Any penetrated soiling degreasing will also stiffen the leather when dry and Fatliquor-5.0 is highly recommended after the appearance improves with leather rejuvenating it with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thanks, Roger! I'll give that a shot.

Thread Information