Thread: Clean and restore vintage native american garments

Default Clean and restore vintage native american garments

Hello,

I have some beaded native american gloves and Moccasins that I bought on Ebay that had been in storage for quite awhile. They are dirty and very dried out. I would very much like to clean and restore them to display quality. Tried some Neats Foot Oil on a fringed leather cover but it just made it dark and oily. Any advice would be appreciated.Name:  NA_items1.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  187.6 KBName:  NA_items2.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  371.1 KBName:  NA_items6.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  384.4 KB

Like to know is the if you are cleaning the napped suede side or the smooth grain side?

The difference is the tools used (so as not to confuse).

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Sorry for delay. I really know nothing about the process but I assume to work on the napped side so as to only minimally disturb the beadwork on the smooth grain side. Don't know if this will allow me to clean the leather effectively though.

>>> Tried some Neats Foot Oil on a fringed leather cover but it just made it dark and oily.

The unwanted neatsfoot oil is removed with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system process.

>>> They are dirty

General cleaning is done with CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system.
    Any present of mold is thereafter decontaminate with KillMold-3.6
    Any other stains are clean accordingly using this Aniline (P) Pure Leather Problem Solving Matrix below.

>>> very dried out

Dried out is rejuvenated with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

>>> I assume to work on the napped side so as to only minimally disturb the beadwork on the smooth grain side. Don't know if this will allow me to clean the leather effectively though.

The cleaning system is safe on both the suede and the grain sides, except for the tools. Grain sides use horsehair Brush-1 and Eraser-4. On the suede side use suede brass Brush-3 and Eraser-5.

Use this Aniline (P) Pure Leather Problem Solving Matrix as guide
    Name:  Aniline (A.p) - Pure .jpg
Views: 347
Size:  448.9 KB

Products system for Mold infestation is with this Kit-A3.mk.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a3-...or-killer-kit/
    Name:  Kit-A3.mk.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  2.19 MB

Leather Doctor® Kit-A3.mk, aniline leather mold odor killer kit is formulated for mold preventive and decontamination care during storage or after growth. Water damaged leathers and storing in a humid condition promotes mold growth. The presence of mold infestation is detected by its characteristic musty odor and moldy appearance. Mold is a living organism and damages are progressive that timely preventive anti-fungicidal control is preferred over corrective restoration. A progressive mold infestation will result in unsightly sinking pits that may require physical removal with refinishing. When leather is store away, a KillMold-3.6 treatment preserves the leather for a potential period of 8 months. KillMold-3.6 is a waterbased leather-safe non-phenol fungicide formulated to kill mold growth. An effective mold decontamination process would include a preparation cleaning with CleanPro-1.5 and Acidifier-2.0 as rinse prior to KillMold-3.6 treatment. Clean-3.8 with Rinse-3.0 system compliments for lighter soiling. Mold growth draws its nutrients from the leather fat and oil and will need replenishing. Rejuvenating the leather includes hydrating to relax the stick together fibers and to eliminate surface tension with Hydrator-3.3. Fat and oil follows immediately with Fatliquor LS-5.5 to rejuvenate the leather with suppleness and diffusing a classic leather scent. The surface wear of the leather is greatly reduced with a rub-resistant Protector-B+ that also enhances a non-stick buttery-feel to shield against sticky soiling. Note that the mentioned products suffix numbers denotes its pH value in this holistic approach for mold odor preventive and corrective care.

>>> Tried some Neats Foot Oil on a fringed leather cover but it just made it dark and oily.

Products system mentioned earlier are found in this Kit-A5.dr
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a5-...degreaser-kit/
    Name:  Kit-A5.dr.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  1.65 MB

Use this Suede (S.n) Napa Problem Solving Guide Matrix for the napped suede side
    Name:  Suede (S.n) - Napa.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  384.5 KB

Let me known when you are ready to discuss further of the processes.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 06-07-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Thread Information