Thread: Crocodile Leather Bag with Water Spotting!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Crocodile Leather Bag with Water Spotting!

Hi Roger,

While I've read and seen first hand that water spots are impossible to remove from crocodile skin. Is there anyway to lessen or minimize their appearance? Also what to use to buff out scratches from wear? Thanks

It's a woman's bag crafted entirely of crocodile. Which repair kit would you suggest? As far as refinishing the topcoat how extensive is the work? And what to buy to refinish?As always thanks for your input.

My guess is the water spots came of hands, accidental splashing or rain spots. I didn’t carry this bag when it was pouring rain, must have gotten caught quickly in the rain once or twice.

Is it possible to refinish a portion with topcoat or must I do the entire panel of the bag? Also you’re certain that these products won’t affect the green dye color?

Name:  FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  321.0 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  288.2 KB

>>> While I've read and seen first hand that water spots are impossible to remove from crocodile skin.

The problem is with the topcoat that is hydrophilic (having a tendency to mix with, dissolve in, or be wetted by water). Solution is to crosslink gloss topcoat like AnilineTop-76G with up to 10% Crosslinker-25.

>>> Is there anyway to lessen or minimize their appearance?

The poor quality water loving topcoat will need be replaced with a hydrophobic topcoat.

>>> Also what to use to buff out scratches from wear?

Use a superfine Sand2000 grit sandpaper.

>>> It's a woman's bag crafted entirely of crocodile. Which repair kit would you suggest? As far as refinishing the topcoat how extensive is the work? And what to buy to refinish? As always thanks for your input.

Name:  Kit-A6.tc.JPG
Views: 1240
Size:  1.47 MB
    Kit A6.tc - Aniline Leather Topcoat Refinishing Kit
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a6-...finishing-kit/

Name:  CrossLinker-25-60.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  1,000 Bytes
    with up to 10% Crosslinker-25 to AnilineTop-76G
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/crosslinker-25/

>>> My guess is the water spots came of hands, accidental splashing or rain spots. I didn’t carry this bag when it was pouring rain, must have gotten caught quickly in the rain once or twice. Is it possible to refinish a portion with topcoat or must I do the entire panel of the bag?

A portion may be tested out to satisfaction prior to refinish the entire bag.

>>> Also you’re certain that these products won’t affect the green dye color?

With a new clear gloss crosslinked topcoat the green dye color will be amplified and magnified brilliantly.

The recommend procedure is as follows:

1- The entire surface need to be degreased with Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 to ensure proper topcoat adhesion.
    2- The surface is inspected with Surfactant-3.6 to check for blotchiness or oily surface and degrease accordingly.
    3- Fine sanding with Sand2000 paper to remove unwanted existing topcoat and its scratches.
    4- Clear gloss topcoat Aniline-76G is crosslinked with up to 10% Crosslinker-25 and applied, let dry with subsequent coating until satisfaction.
    5- When completely dried and cured after 72hrs - test for any water spotting for satisfaction.
    6- Protect with Protector-B/B+

Note:
    A small portion of the leather maybe test out to satisfaction prior to the entire bag.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information