Thread: Lambskin Jacket – a thin layer of grime throughout!

Default Lambskin Jacket – a thin layer of grime throughout!

I’ve been reading the forum for tips and ideas. This jacket (attached below) made of lambskin is in relatively good condition but I can see a thin layer of grime throughout, am interested in cleaning and protecting it for longevity.

1. Is the material considered aniline wax pull up leather?
    2. Do I need the Kit-AW6.tc topcoat refinishing or is the leather care kit Kit-A3 sufficient?

Name:  CHL36923_1_enlarged.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  139.8 KB

Name:  PastedGraphic-5.png
Views: 276
Size:  574.2 KB

>>> 1. Is the material considered aniline wax pull up leather?

No! This is not an aniline wax pull-up leather. This is the typical nappalan garment leather and here is a little description:
    Napa leather is full-grain leather made from un-split lambskin or sheepskin, chrome tanned and noted for softness. It is finish with an emulsion pigment system. This unique nappalan system creates a discontinuous film that allows natural breathability with greater wearing comfort. The common problem is the wearing of the finish at high rub areas often suede into the leather crust. A rub-resistant protection is highly recommended to reduce such wear on a routine care with Protector-B.

>>> I can see a thin layer of grime throughout
    If the layer of grime is throughout the edges, it may not be grime but the friction rubs have wear out the finishes and reveal the leather crust. Cleaning alone will not help.

>>> 2. Do I need the Kit-AW6.tc topcoat refinishing or is the leather care kit Kit-A3 sufficient?
    If color refinishing is required you will need a Leather Degreaser Kit-A5.dr to clean and conditioner the leather for suppleness prior to color repairs with matching Napa-84 > NapaTop-84S > Protector-B.

>>> I don't know if the top coat needs refinishing or not so what are the appropriate measures would you suggest? I don't wan to go overboard with this and that, just enough to make the jacket look good like it once was or close to it as possible.

Wear or damages to the finishes is only apparent after a restorative cleaning.

This is how you go about performing a restorative cleaning. Color repairs if required will come before Phase-4 preventive care with Protector-B.

Restorative Care:

This is the ultimate restorative or salvage care system that removes accumulated soiling including aged conditioners. Accumulated soiling that fills creases is often mistaken for cracks. Using Prep-7.7 performs restorative cleaning. It works by chemical reaction to emulsify soiling through its penetrating, lubricating and suspending power. Horsehair detailing Brush-1 is recommended to worked into heavily soiled areas sufficiently to avoid excessive agitation that might damage already weaken finishes especially on heavily used areas.

1st phase - Restorative Cleaning:
    1. Apply Prep-7.7 and agitate with horsehair Brush-1, ensuring a uniform application over the entire surfaces a section at a time.
    2. Allow a dwell time of 10 to 30 minutes or before it dries prior to towel extraction until it shows clean.
    3. Sticky residue is removed by Clean-3.8 with gentle brush agitation and towel extracts until it shows clean.
    4. Remaining residues are spray rinse with Rinse-3.0 and towel extracts to a squeaky-clean.
    5. Let dry and inspect for satisfaction, otherwise repeat cleaning process as necessary or proceed to hydrating.

2nd phase – Hydrating:
    Hydrating is essential to relax and separate the stick together collapsing fibrous structure. Its surfactantcy helps check for surface tension of blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing.
    1. Spray Hydrator-3.3 to saturate with an even appearance to soften up the leather.
    2. Let dwell 10 to 30 minutes and towel extract wick up soiling until it shows clean.

3rd phase – Fatliquoring:
    Fat and oil replenishing maintains the leather’s structure integrity and pliability thus strengthen these exposed leather from cracking.
    1. Spray Fatliquor-5.0 in like manner as Hydrator-3.3 and let dry naturally.
    2. Repeat application in between drying until saturated.
    3. The leather is left for slow natural drying for extra softness.
    4. Surface strays are wiped with Hydrator-3.3 to free of sticky residue.

4th phase – Preventive Care:
    1. Mist sprays Protector-B+ spread with lint free towel and is ready for use when dry.

Products mentioned are found in this Kit-P3, that also has instruction for routine and periodic care system.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-p3-...ther-care-kit/
    Name:  Kit-P3.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  1.69 MB

>>> Got it. I also have another jacket make of same material but in worst off condition and most likely will require color wear. In this case would I still proceed with Kit-P3 and then topcoat finishing subsequent?

When color wear is apparent or obvious you would want to degrease it so that new color bonds better to the old finishes with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 than with Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system when there is present of body oil, grease and sweat especially on collar and cuffs.

With this Leather Degreaser Kit-A5.dr

Name:  Kit-A5.dr.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  1.65 MB
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 05-11-2016 at 09:30 AM.

>>> Is it correct to assume that the sequence is restorative cleaning, then degreasing and lastly color refinishing before protection?

Good enough to degrease body oil, grease and sweat if there are no other soiling types like dye transfer or ink.
    Use this Pigmented (P.n) Nappalan Leather Problem Solving Matrix as reference, Soiling, Staining and Odor types are solved one after another before the leather rejuvenating system with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system. Repairs if any comes next before color refinishing and the last preventive care is with Protector-B or B+.

Name:  Pigmented (P.n) - Nappalan.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  424.0 KB

Thread Information