Thread: Change of colour

Default Change of colour

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 25mm sheepskin jacket. Whilst I am very happy with the coat in general I find the white colouring on the inside a little bright for my tastes.

Is there any way to dye it or tone the white down? Ideally I would like to get it back to a more natural looking neutral/honey colour.

Thanks
    Name:  IMG_0829.JPG
Views: 437
Size:  368.1 KBName:  IMG_0828.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  495.8 KB

>>> Is there any way to dye it or tone the white down? Ideally I would like to get it back to a more natural looking neutral/honey colour.

Yes, it can be dyed.
    But only practical when the dye does not rub-off into your inner clothing – that will becomes a nuisance.
    The only logical solution is to do a sample test, either a swatch or comb off some wool to do a colorfast test after dyeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> Is there any way to dye it or tone the white down? Ideally I would like to get it back to a more natural looking neutral/honey colour.

Yes, it can be dyed.
    But only practical when the dye does not rub-off into your inner clothing – that will becomes a nuisance.
    The only logical solution is to do a sample test, either a swatch or comb off some wool to do a colorfast test after dyeing.
    Thanks Roger,

Do you have any recommendations for products I could try?

Would it be necessary to soak the full jacket and if so what would be the best way to protect the leather to stop it shrinking or hardening.

Cheers

The method is by spraying as the wool pile is parted with a comb and you want to get it to the roots.

Immersion soaking will cause the fatliquor to leach out that will result in stiffness and shrinkage.

I will go for black as I have seen a few as probably you would get a grey scale of 5, not a complete black.

What do you think, you can manage before I recommend the product system.

The method is by spraying as the wool pile is parted with a comb and you want to get it to the roots.

Immersion soaking will cause the fatliquor to leach out that will result in stiffness and shrinkage.

I will go for black as I have seen a few as probably you would get a grey scale of 5, not a complete black.

What do you think, you can manage before I recommend the product system.
    I'm game for a go, I'll try it on the inner sleeve before I move onto the visable areas.

You mention transfer onto clothing, whats the best way to minimise the chances of this?

Cheers

>>> You mention transfer onto clothing, whats the best way to minimise the chances of this?

Dyestuff either a staining type or a coating type used has to be fixed with a DyeFix-99.

A staining dyestuff has a finer feel if it does work otherwise we may have to resort to a coating dyestuff and further fix it.

What do you think?

>>> You mention transfer onto clothing, whats the best way to minimise the chances of this?

Dyestuff either a staining type or a coating type used has to be fixed with a DyeFix-99.

A staining dyestuff has a finer feel if it does work otherwise we may have to resort to a coating dyestuff and further fix it.

What do you think?
    Hi Roger,

Sorry for the late reply but I have been mobilised at short notice.

How much of each product do you recommend, it's a pretty large area and I don't want to get mid way in and realise I'll not have sufficient.

What I have tested is that after rinsing I only get about 10% of the color retained when I used the Nubuck-28
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/nubuck-28/

I think there's a ton of good options in any shop/

Some leather wear may show a change in color naturally as after many years leather starts developing a patina over it. While some leather wear's quality are not as good to retain the original color for a long time.

Thread Information