Thread: Need help restoring this leather couch

Default Need help restoring this leather couch

I bought a sofa and loveseat set off Craigslist. I sent of a sample of the leather swatch to a Do It Yourself restoration company and was informed my leather is aniline dyed with a waxy finish. It doesnt appear to be a wax pull up but the hidden leather does seam to have a coat on it. The couch has faded and is hard to the touch especially when the sun has beamed down on it. What do I need to get these couches back close to normal.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

First do a water absorbent test by dripping water (preferred if you have steam distilled water) on used and hidden areas and see if it penetrates or remaining pool on the surface.

Look like most of the finish has worn off because water covers it like a blanket but I believe there are a few areas where there is still a finish, I suppose that can be sanded with high grit sand paper.

This absorbency of the water is a good sign as you want to solve your concern of sun fading and hardness to the touch.

"Hardness" is due the the leather structure dryness of of its original fatliquor (fat and oil) content from the original average of 14% and restoration is by Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 Hydrator-3.3 system.

"Sun fading" is the surface lost of the transparent aniline coloring and should be able to re-activate the thickness beneath of its dormant or excess dyestuff to re-surface with the same Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

The remaining clear finish could be removed either with sanding or with Stripper-2.3 to even out the absorbency rate prior to the above leather hardness and sun fading treatment.

When the original color is revive, no new coloring is necessary and you can decide if you want the original topcoat again with fine AnilineTop-21W (Waxy-Matte) or change it to a standard AnilineTop-76G (gloss).

When use an AnilineTop-21W - the matching protector is Protector-W or W+

And when use an AnilineTop-76G - the matching protector is Protector-B or B+

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    This absorbency of the water is a good sign as you want to solve your concern of sun fading and hardness to the touch.

"Hardness" is due the the leather structure dryness of of its original fatliquor (fat and oil) content from the original average of 14% and restoration is by Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 Hydrator-3.3 system.

"Sun fading" is the surface lost of the transparent aniline coloring and should be able to re-activate the thickness beneath of its dormant or excess dyestuff to re-surface with the same Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

The remaining clear finish could be removed either with sanding or with Stripper-2.3 to even out the absorbency rate prior to the above leather hardness and sun fading treatment.

When the original color is revive, no new coloring is necessary and you can decide if you want the original topcoat again with fine AnilineTop-21W (Waxy-Matte) or change it to a standard AnilineTop-76G (gloss).

When use an AnilineTop-21W - the matching protector is Protector-W or W+

And when use an AnilineTop-76G - the matching protector is Protector-B or B+
    Thanks for the replies, can you explain exactly what this means "Sun fading" is the surface lost of the transparent aniline coloring and should be able to re-activate the thickness beneath of its dormant or excess dyestuff to re-surface with the same Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system. Do I still need coloring?
    Last edited by Hugabone; 05-03-2016 at 12:33 PM.

You may take a look at some of Chet's thread from the Aniline Leather forum.
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...iline-Leathers

This thread will eventually moved to the Aniline Leather forum as well.

>>> Do I still need coloring?

It will depends how well you have done it, at least dwell for 72hrs and you will see significant color revival, you will then decide if you wish to increase its intensity accordingly.

Dyestuff used will be the Aniline-76 system to retain the originality of its finishing (transparent).

When you are ready I will walk you through the process, in phases if you wish.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    email: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    You may take a look at some of Chet's thread from the Aniline Leather forum.
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...iline-Leathers

This thread will eventually moved to the Aniline Leather forum as well.

>>> Do I still need coloring?

It will depends how well you have done it, at least dwell for 72hrs and you will see significant color revival, you will then decide if you wish to increase its intensity accordingly.

Dyestuff used will be the Aniline-76 system to retain the originality of its finishing (transparent).

When you are ready I will walk you through the process, in phases if you wish.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    email: [email protected]

Thanks, I will be ordering soon and sending out a sample of the swatch.

Thread Information