Thread: best dye/method for full grain sandals, previously dyed, while protecting cloth straps?

Exclamation best dye/method for full grain sandals, previously dyed, while protecting cloth straps?

I'm a newbie and am desperate to find an answer to this ASAP. I've searched everywhere for an answer to this, and so glad to have found this forum!

I found a pair of sandals on eBay that are discontinued that I really want. Unfortunately, they're in olive (see pic 3), and I want them in black.

They're Merrell's, and from what I've been able to find they generally use full grain leather. I'm not sure that's the case here: maybe someone can help me figure it out from the photos. At any rate, dying from a dark olive to black should be pretty simple on any leather per Tandy Leather.

The main problem with these sandals is that they have a cotton cord running through them. They're strictly decorative, but per the seller, cannot be removed temporarily, which means that I'll have to "paint" around them if I want to keep the original color (which I would, although I'm not totally averse to them being dyed black, so long as the color doesn't look obviously different from the leather). But if I can keep the color, I'd have to block them off--I know painters can do that with masking tape, but it is doubtful that this can be done with something like that given how thin they are.

• Does anyone have any suggestions about how to block off the cords to prevent saturation with the leather dye? I've seen on pinterest the suggestion to wrap them in plastic wrap, but that doesn't seem sure-fire given how thin they are. Someone at Blick's suggested using a removable masking fluid (basically liquid latex) like this http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-White-L...5%3A2470955011; or even rubber cement http://www.amazon.com/ELMERS-No-Wrin...rds=latex+glue applied with a thin brush. Has anyone used this, or a different medium?

• Alternatively, I wouldn't terribly upset if the cords were black. But given that they're white and cloth, and the base color of the leather is dark, if dyed with leather dye would they look the same--i.e., black? Or should I use a specific dye for the cord?

• Would I need to prep these in some way? I've seen contrary advice on pre-colored leather. If so, is there a FAQ or link on how to do this?

• What might be the best type of dye to use for these? Tandy's suggested acrylic, but is that waterproof if I want to wear these on the beach or something? Is there a heavy duty dye that wouldn't transfer to the cord (or saturate the cord sufficiently that the cord will be the same color as the leather)? Again, they're being dyed black, so I don't think that it is really that important what the quality is, but just want something waterproof if possible.

I know this is a lot to ask, but if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it. Need to buy on eBay asap so the sooner someone can get back to me, the better.

Thanks so much!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

>>> Alternatively, I wouldn't terribly upset if the cords were black. But given that they're white and cloth, and the base color of the leather is dark, if dyed with leather dye would they look the same--i.e. black? Or should I use a specific dye for the cord?

When use a transparent coating dyestuff such as Leather Doctor® Aniline-76 there would be a difference in color intensity between the cloth and leather. When using a staining dyestuff the result becomes more unpredictable as with poor penetration, the dyestuff just wash out easily. However you will need a topcoat such as Leather Doctor® AnilineTop-76G to seal or lock the dyestuff in. Any dyestuff that has a “bronzing” effect would be considered a poor quality dye.
    When using an opaque pigment coloring such as Leather Doctor® Micro-54 system the coverage should improve and the color difference narrow down.

>>> Would I need to prep these in some way? I've seen contrary advice on pre-colored leather. If so, is there a FAQ or link on how to do this?

Prep is to ensure that the coloring or dyestuff will have a good foundation – Typically for a brand new leather is by stripping with Leather Doctor® Stripper-2.3 or equivalent, follows with a primer coating or adhesion coating such as Leather Doctor® Adhesor-73.

>>> What might be the best type of dye to use for these? Tandy's suggested acrylic, but is that waterproof if I want to wear these on the beach or something? Is there a heavyduty dye that wouldn't transfer to the cord (or saturate the cord sufficiently that the cord will be the same color as the leather)? Again, they're being dyed black, so I don't think that it is really that important what the quality is, but just want something waterproof if possible.

An alternative not to downgrade the finishes of your leather is to use Leather Doctor® Crosslinker-25 about 10% by weight to the topcoat. This system is what have been used for leather used for ice hockey (goal keeper leather guard) to resist water penetration.
    A good dye system should not have a ‘bronzing’ effect and does not bleed.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information