Thread: Timberland Boots - Scuff marks and Paint marks.

Default Timberland Boots - Scuff marks and Paint marks.

Dear Roger,

I’m wondering if you can advise me on some boots I have that need cleaning and some TLC? I was very impressed with your expertise on the forum and products you sell for suede and leather care.

We are a Wet cleaner/Dry Cleaner in the United Kingdom and are in need of some good knowledge and advice in Leather and Suede care. We have two types of boots to clean and restore. I have attached some pictures to view of their conditions. I believe both boots are of Calf/ Aniline Leather.

Timberland Boots - Scuff marks and Paint marks.

You may be able to tell me more from the pictures that I have attached for your advice.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you and Kind Regards,

Vimal Sachania

Name:  attachment-2.jpg
Views: 2899
Size:  1.22 MB

Name:  attachment-3.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  1.08 MB

Name:  attachment-4.jpg
Views: 2864
Size:  1.28 MB

Name:  attachment-5.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  1.04 MB

This leather is identify as 'Nubuck'.

Here is a description of Nubuck:

Nubuck is top-grain cattle leather that has been buffed on the grain side, or outside, to create a velvet like texture or nap. It has the characteristic of a slight nap, with the softest “hand” or tactile feel. Although nubuck is aniline dyed through it is commonly finish with a surface dye sometimes incorporating micro-pigment to cover up some natural blemishes. It looks similar to suede, but the difference is that suede is created from the flesh side of leather, whereas nubuck is created from the grain side of leather. As both nubuck and suede are napped leather, it is often incorrectly identified as suede. Leather is both hydrophilic and oleophilic, nubuck especially with its open nap absorbs both water and oil more readily, than any other smooth leather. It is generally more expensive than suede; fashion types include embossed, oil and wax pull-up effect. Fatliquor plays an important role when comes to maintenance to both reduce ingress of waterbased and grease stain; plumps the leather with fullness, reduces creases, and wrinkles. Leather protein-fiber component is amphoteric therefore, a leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) care product system is highly recommended to keep them clean while maintaining their chemistry integrity

To remove paint stain take a look at #16 from the left column of this Nubuck (N) Leather Problem Solving Guide: Products recommended is from the top row and the numbers denotes the sequence of process. I will post again on the process and the recommended kit to go along.

Name:  Nubuck (N).jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  293.7 KB

This is the recommended kit-N3.pgd - Nubuck Leather Paint, Grease and Dye Stain Removal kit from this link with more information coming soon:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-n3-...e-remover-kit/

Name:  Kit-N3.pgd.JPG
Views: 1127
Size:  1.36 MB
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-14-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Thread Information