Thread: Western Boots – Aniline Anteater leather with some blotchy dark spots.

Default Western Boots – Aniline Anteater leather with some blotchy dark spots.

Roger,

You’ve helped me before using a photo, so hopefully you can again.

In the attached photos, you’ll see a western boot made of anteater, light orange-brown color (“peanut butter”), but it has some blotchy dark spots, which were darker/blacker before conditioning. These have been conditioned with lanolin, then again later with your Hydrator-Fatliquor system. Conditioning seems to have made the spots a little better, but I think I need something else to get rid of the spots or fade them so they aren’t noticeable.

I think the origin of the spots is water and mold. The boots had been in my father’s closet in his basement, and was covered in dust and mold when I found them during the estate sale preparation.

The boots are in excellent condition otherwise, especially after treating them with your system of 3 days with your Hydrator (in a Ziploc bag) + Fatliquor.

If you have something that can lift or fade the spots, I’ll buy it along with another bottle each of the hydrator & fatliquor. I need to order these today anyway.

Thank you,

William Pinson

Name:  HPIM0171.JPG
Views: 480
Size:  996.4 KB

Name:  HPIM0172.JPG
Views: 440
Size:  936.3 KB

>>> I think the origin of the spots is water

Water with a pH value above 7 will most likely cause a burning sensation to the acidic (pH 3-5) leather that result in a darkening effect. If the “blotchy dark spots” are pH related, then the solution is to have a restorative cleaning with the CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system. Note the product suffix denotes the pH value of the products. Procedural sequence of steps to follow is #7 from the guide.

There is also a possibility that oil or grease is the cause of the stain and usually they are penetrated. Procedural sequence of steps to follow will be #8 with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system.

Tips: Acidic cleaners pH below 7 lightens, alkaline cleaners above pH 7 darkens in severity as the pH value goes up.

For unknown stains the above two category can be combine in one sequence as Degreaser-2.2 > CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 as phase-1, Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 as phase-2 and Protector-B/B+ as phase-3

>>> I think the origin of the spots is water and mold.

Mold treatment is between phase-1 and phase-2 when combine as above.

Use this Aniline (A.fs) Full Sauvage Leather Problem Solving Guide as reference

Name:  Aniline (A.fs) - Full Sauvage.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  425.9 KB

Thread Information