Thread: Shearling Jacket – Vintage 60’s – very dry with moth activity.

Default Shearling Jacket – Vintage 60’s – very dry with moth activity.

I want to get some products to restore a vintage, maybe 60's? shearling jacket, very thick. The wool side is fine. But overall the jacket is very, very dry and shows some evidence on the skin side of moth activity...no holes, just darker spots in a line. Can I use just the hydrator and the fatliquor to accomplish this? Like I said...it's just very dry.

Here is the vintage shearling jacket. I really want to restore it and help it be moist again. I feel sure these are moth spots and realize they likely won't come out. Let me know what you think. Again, the hair side seems fine albeit probably dirty from years of wear.

Name:  IMG_3251.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  1.22 MB

Name:  IMG_3252.JPG
Views: 387
Size:  1.08 MB

Name:  IMG_3253.JPG
Views: 386
Size:  1.27 MB

Name:  IMG_3254.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  1.05 MB

Name:  IMG_3255.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  1.04 MB
    Last edited by Questions!; 12-07-2015 at 10:29 AM.

>>> The wool side is fine. Again, the hair side seems fine albeit probably dirty from years of wear.

A shearling holistic cleaning and rejuvenation for both side starts with cleaning the wool side first with WoolClean-5.5 > RinseWool-4.0 > Protector-S+ and let to dry for satisfaction before commencing with the other suede side.

>>> But overall the jacket is very, very dry . . . I really want to restore it and help it be moist again. Can I use just the hydrator and the fatliquor to accomplish this? Like I said...it's just very dry.

One reason of the suede side dryness is the result of diminishes fatliquor (fat and oil moisture content) thru natural ageing which appears to be. Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 will restore the suede side to its original suppleness once the fat and oil is top-up, with the higher the percentage of the fatliquor the softer it becomes and with increase tear strength especially to the stitching rows from ripping from stress especially from the shoulder. Prior to suede rejuvenating, it is highly recommended that the suede is clean with Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system.

>>> >>> shows some evidence on the skin side of moth activity...no holes, just darker spots in a line. I feel sure these are moth spots and realize they likely won't come out. Let me know what you think.

Working the suede to remove dry soiling and rejuvenate or exfoliate the nap is accomplished with suede Brush-3 and Eraser-5. It will bring forth a better appearance when the stain is partially physically removed. When the shearling is to be stored, MothProof-5.4 http://www.leatherdoctor.com/mothproof-5-4/
    is recommended to deter moth from coming near to lay their eggs that will hatch into larvae that destroy the protein fiber.

With all mentioned above the sequence of the suede would be as follows:

a) Dry Soil Removal:
    Suede Brush-3 with Eraser-5 plus vacuuming.

b) Wet Cleaning:
    Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0

c) Suede Rejuvenation:
    Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0

d) Non-Stick, Rub-Resistant Protection:
    Protector-S+

e) Mothproofing Wool and Suede Sides:
    MothProof-5.4

Products mentioned are found in this Kit-Ss4 with MothProof-5.4 as an add-on.

Name:  Ss4.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  1.49 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-ss4...ling-care-kit/
    Leather Doctorฎ Kit-Ss4, suede shearling care kit is an innovative leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) system designed for keeping suede shearling outer garment at their highest level of appearance, enhancing their softness and strength and prevents premature ageing. Suede when dry of its fat and oil becomes more absorbent and easily creases and wrinkles. Softening it begins with Hydrator-3.3 to relax the creases and wrinkles prior to fat and oil replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0. The fat plumps the suede with fullness and the oil lubricates the fibers for smoothness during compressing, stretching and flexing thus reduces creases and wrinkles. Unlike conditioning oils that darkens suede, fatliquor seasons the suede to a richer tone that helps reduce the ingress of liquid stains and making soiling removal easier where the fibers is full of fat and oil. Maintenance cleaning before soiling build up on body contact areas is done with Clean-3.8 and Rinse-3.0 respectively. Protector-S+ (leather-scented, scentless is optional with Protector-S) imparts a non-stick rub-resistant silky-feel that shields the effect of sticky soiling, keeping a high level of appearance for a longer period of time. The wool face is clean, sanitize with odor control and rinse with CleanWool-5.5 and RinseWool-4.0 respectively using the same non-stick protector to enhance the wool with a silky feel. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this leather-safe holistic care system for double face suede shearling.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator / Practitioner / Consultant / Instructor / Coach
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 12-07-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Thread Information