Thread: Lane Furniture – Nubuck with Bloodstain!

Default Lane Furniture – Nubuck with Bloodstain!

Hello Roger, Bless you for being so exceedingly helpful! Even if we cannot get the stain out, I am honored to know a gentleman who sincerely tries to help others; you are something rare in these times.

These stains came from a woman we had hired to care for my mother, who has advanced Alzheimer's. She went out for lunch one day and never returned, leaving our family in turmoil trying to find a replacement to care for my mother so my wife and I could hold down our jobs. We had just moved into our new house and things are in disarray (long story) and it was weeks before we removed the blanket the woman had left covering the chair and realized she'd menstruated onto it. Maybe that is why she left without notice. It's too bad for us she did not have the decency to tell us, but instead hid her act. It has now been about 6 weeks or so since she left the stain, but it was already hardened and had the look as if it were paint the day we discovered it--perhaps a month after she'd gone.

I phoned a company whose name and number were on a label on this Lane piece of furniture, and they sent me a spray for $40, which was 100% useless. From an Internet suggestion, I also tried mild soap and water and hydrogen peroxide, and that accounts for the rings you may be able to see in the photos.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. This is a beautiful piece of furniture in a set worth about $15,000.

Name:  IMG_2412.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  1.84 MB

Name:  IMG_2411.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  2.65 MB

Name:  IMG_2410.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  3.85 MB

I unzipped the cushion and was able to run my arm into the area between the cover and the foam and place my hand under the soiled spot. My hand was not cramped under it and I had considerably movement. From what I felt, I don't believe the blood soaked through much (if any) to the foam itself--at least the cover was not stuck to the foam, so I hope that is good.

I am wondering if the cover needs to be removed for cleaning. I have heard it is difficult to get the covers back on once they are removed, but perhaps i could find an upholstery shop for that task if need be.

I have attached the photos you suggested, but with taking care of my mother and all the clutter associated with moving and caring for her, the furniture is not really exposed to be easily visible. Please let me know if you need more photos or info.

Name:  Chair.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  1.87 MB

Name:  Chair Cushion Zipper.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  1.98 MB

Name:  Chair Cushion Foam.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  1.44 MB

#4 Loveseat
    Name:  Loveseat.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  1.72 MB

#5 Sofa
    Name:  Sofa.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  1.77 MB

>>> Will you be coaching me as to where I begin?

There are 4 areas to improve the appearance of the failed attempt bloodstain removal and we are looking as follows:

1st – Bloodstain Removal.
    2nd – Rectifying Rings Stains.
    3rd – Color Rejuvenating.
    4th – Color Refinishing.

BLOOD STAINS is a protein based stain that has the tendency to coagulate with the leather protein fiber and makes removal tougher than other protein stains even working with appropriate leather protein stain removal. It has also the iron component that will get darker in color when it ages. Dried blood stains will range from tan to black with an outer ring. When the protein component is first removed with CleanProtein-9.9 and rinse with Acidifier-2.0 neutralizing effect, the other secondary iron component present will need to go through another reduction-oxidation (redox) chemical reaction again when dry and neutralized with Basifier-8.8. Thereafter, other option available is by leather rejuvenating to revive color intensity or color refinishing to camouflage remaining residue from compounded and failed attempt stains. Hydrogen Peroxide, an example is not recommended for bloodstain removal on leather, as oxidation will “cook” the protein leather fiber and the bloodstain as well, altering their original chemistry, thus remaining stains may not match up with the chemistry of the mentioned products formulated for.

NUBUCK BLOOD STAINS REMOVAL – Instruction:
    1. Use an ice-cream stick as a spatula and removed the build-up stains and brush with Nubuck Brush-2 to renew the nap.
    2. Apply CleanProtein-9.9 to the center of the stain and start massaging gently with Brush-2 or Spatula to breakup the stain and towel extract.
    3. Continue applying and concentrate the product on the stain avoiding the non-stain areas seriously.
    4. Agitate and towel extract until towel shows clean.
    5. Neutralize and rinse off remaining residue with Acidifier-2.0 until towel shows clean.
    6. Allow to dry for inspection (show pictures).
    7. Any traces of iron (rust) coloring component remaining are removed with CleanTarnish-1.3.
    8. 8. Apply neatly onto the stain and let it natural dry to do its reduction-oxidation (redox) reaction.
    9. Inspect (show pictures) when dry for satisfaction or repeat treatment.
    10. Satisfied result will need immediately neutralized and rinse off with Basifier-8.8.

See how the stain response before we go into the other 3 areas for further improvements.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator / Practitioner / Consultant / Instructor / Coach
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-18-2015 at 01:01 PM.

I worked to follow steps 1-6 that you had sent me. There was indeed an improvement, and I am attaching the photos here. I took the cushion outside and into the sunlight to get a better rendition of the colors, and also placed a non-soiled cushion off of the matching love-seat for comparison. (The soiled cushion is the larger of the two).

Here is what I experienced:

The blood was like paint, there was nothing that could be scraped off with a popsicle stick or the brush.

I applied the CleanProtein-9.9 to the center of the stain as per the instructions, but once the area got wet, I was not able to see what was the stained area and what was not. Consequently, areas outside the stain also got wet.

I worked on it with the brush and reapplying the CleanProtein-9.9 perhaps 30 minutes, and only small amounts of blood-colored liquid appeared when I sponged off the liquid. For that reason, I thought I was not getting results. I finally stopped, wondering if the color on the liquid was part of the dye of the leather.

I also ran my hand up under the cushion in an attempt to squeeze out some of the blood, but was not able to find success as far as I could tell.

Finally I applied the Acidifier-2.0, thus completing the first 6 steps on your write-up. After it dried completely, I photographed the result today, November 27 and the photos are attached.

The cushion is not restored fully, but is much better than it was. I am wondering if I should repeat the process, or follow some other direction; I look forward to your advice.

Thank you for being so helpful and professional.

Name:  After_Steps_1_6_Nov_27.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  2.51 MB

Name:  Closeup_Nov_27.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  2.96 MB

Name:  Comparison_Nov_27.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  2.19 MB

>>> I am wondering if I should repeat the process.

Yes! You may repeat the process with other spots as well.

Hello Roger,

After considerable delay I finally finished steps 1-10 recommended from you and your site for blood stain removal. I am attaching two photos of the result. The one labeled "Overall" shows the cushion as it now appears in the daylight. Do you think we have gone about as far as could be hoped for? I am not unhappy with the results, but you may know that we can do still better.

The second photo shows a close-up of a white stain or discoloration that has arisen on the cushion during the cleaning process; it was not there before. Do you know what it might be and can you offer a suggestion as to how to get rid of it?

Much thanks to you for your professional help!

Stephen M. Wells

Name:  Overall_Jan_31.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  2.00 MB

Name:  White_Stain_Jan_31.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  2.88 MB

>>> Do you think we have gone about as far as could be hoped for? I am not unhappy with the results, but you may know that we can do still better.

The remnants remaining residues may be work with a fray out tip of a bamboo skewers or toothpick. These may be the iron component of blood that takes a rusty appearance. Working with CleanTarnish-1.3 from the tip of the bamboo skewer and let redox chemical reaction takes place until it dry may see improvement. After the darker stains are gone we can discuss how to even out the lighter spots to blend.

>>> The second photo shows a close-up of a white stain or discoloration that has arisen on the cushion during the cleaning process; it was not there before. Do you know what it might be and can you offer a suggestion as to how to get rid of it?

This look like fugitive fatliquor like picture from Post#4, Picture #1 that shows a white ring mark is most likely due to pH value in-balance. The entire surface will need a heavy soaking of Acidifier-2.0 and redistribute the leather constituents with the help of Hydrator-3.3. Leather suppleness with softness and strength need to be rectified with Fatliquor-5.0.

Thread Information