Thread: Zebra skin restoration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

>>> I saw your reply after I had finished hydrating. It took me a few hours but I think I did it correctly. The skin is now soft and supple. I have covered it with plastic and will check tomorrow. I don't think there will be excess moisture by tomorrow morning but I will still run a paper cloth over it. I don't have a moisture thermometer so I guess if it is slightly damp to touch, it would be the right time to put the fat liquor. Please let me know if that is incorrect. I meant to take pictures but I got so involved that it slipped my mind. All the dry curling edges are now straightened. The photo was taken after hydration.

Correct to commence the fatliquoring process when you are satisfied with all the dry curling edges are now straightened. A little moisture still left behind helps the fatliquor to distribute better.

How many hours will be the intended dwelling?

Name:  IMG_0168.JPG
Views: 761
Size:  172.4 KB
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-16-2015 at 08:47 AM.

I checked the skin this afternoon, after 24 hours of hydration and it is still very moist. I have covered it again. I will check it again tomorrow afternoon before deciding to put fatliquor on it. I have to admit that your calculation for amount of necessary hydration liquid was completely correct. I was afraid that it would not be enough so I did the whole skin first very carefully and then found there was enough to do it second time. This time it was becoming milky white but never enough to make it come out when squeezed between fingers. The skin is very moist at the moment.

>>> The skin is very moist at the moment.

You may use a flat squeeze either plastic or metal to flatten the entire from the center to the edges.

After that, cover-up the entire skin/hide with plastic sheet to control evaporation.

Leave it as long as it stays moist - the longer the better even exceed 72hrs (but do not let it completely dry before you apply the Fatliquor-5.0 it will get deeper into the skin/hide fiber structure) thus produce a softer skin/hide.

Remember that during the fatliquor process leave it to very slow natural drying as well.

Please show some good pictures of how the skin is covered.

Any mistake is correct before it is too late.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-17-2015 at 12:08 AM.

Name:  IMG_0179.JPG
Views: 918
Size:  286.8 KB

Picture shows 'poor' covering!

Cover it flat without any air spaces.

The air spaces or pocket areas moisture level will be different from those that are in direct contact.

Straighten then up by brushing from the center to the edges or what ever technique most appropriate.

I would cut out the shape of the skin with 6 to 12 inches to the edges for better control of the covering

>>> The skin is moist but I am afraid it might be as moist as it should by tomorrow and tomorrow is a very busy day for me so by the time I get to it, it will be over 72 hours. Should I apply the fat liquor this evening or wait another 24 hours?
    Name:  IMG_0193.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  267.2 KB

Longer dwell will produce a softer skin, but not allow to be completely dry (feels damp but towel extract shows dry should be right time to proceed with Fatliquor-5.0
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-17-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Visit this link for how to post pictures:
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...30-How-to-Post

I have straightened out the covering and have decided to wait till tomorrow to apply the fatliquor.

Use your feet and work over the skin to smooth out creases and wrinkles, and transfer the moisture of the plastic sheet back into the skin.

Thread Information