Thread: Simple Green on Leather sofa!

Default Simple Green on Leather sofa!

We have a leather sectional that is probably about 15 years old. It has had a ton of usage but isn't in poor condition. We decided to sell it recently on Craigslist. We have a low price so we can sell it quick so I told my husband that we didn't need to clean it. I would leave that up to the new owner. I took a nap this afternoon and woke up to a strong cleaner smell and I caught my husband scrubbing the sofa with SIMPLE GREEN! Now my husband isn't the brightest tool in the shed, but really???
    Anyway, the damage has been done. With SG being a degreaser can the damaged be reversed using another method of cleaning? If so what do you suggest? Is the damage so bad that if we just left it the way it is will it make a difference for the new owner. Help!

>>> With SG being a degreaser can the damaged be reversed using another method of cleaning?
    If so what do you suggest?

Leather is an amphoteric protein material and pH value of the product may cause a denaturing effect.
    If it is a pH value related damages resulting in tackiness, then a low pH value Acidifier-2.0 with a pH value of 2.0 will pH balance it and return to a healthy squeak.

Degreaser may also dries up the original fatliquor that cause stiffness.
    Stiffness is relaxed with Hydrator-3.3 prior replenishing the leather for suppleness with Fatliquor-5.0.

Depending on the leather finishes type; an example of a holistic approach for semi-aniline or micro-pigmented leathers will need this kit:

Name:  Kit Sa7.cl.JPG
Views: 1479
Size:  1.55 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/leather...finishing-kit/
    Leather Doctor® Kit Sa7.cl, micro-pigmented leather color refinishing kit is design for a holistic restoration approach to not only the finishes but also rejuvenating the leather for suppleness. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure from cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalizes once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is initiated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplishes with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Surface uneven absorption is seals with Adhesor-73 to reduce the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles.

Good to have some pictures to understand the severity of the damages so that my recommendation will be more specific.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Practitioner / Consultant / Instructor / Coach
    [email protected]

Thread Information