Thread: worried about how to use

Default worried about how to use

Hi Roger (or anyone who can help),
    I received my V-2 kit to use on vachetta on my LV bags. I decided to use it on of my most discolored bags. There is no black, just water marks. I have been the only owner of this bag and never used any products on it other than a microfiber cloth (which is probably as bad as Magic Eraser I presume). It is about 15 years old. I cleaned with 3.8 and rinsed with 3.0. I let the leather dry after that which, from what I read on the forum, is not right. Should I re-use the Rinse 3.0 before continuing with the hydrator? Do I let the hydrator dry before the next step?
    I did not get any instructions with the kit other than what is written on the bottles and I've tried to piece together the correct sequence from reading other posts but I'm still not 100% sure on how to proceed. Can anyone help?
    Name:  LV 1.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  10.8 KB
    Name:  LV3.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  10.7 KB
    Name:  LV4.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  10.0 KB
    The second picture shows the only cracking on the bag.
    Thank you!
    Susanne
    Last edited by Susanne; 06-08-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: to provide more information

>>> I decided to use it on of my most discolored bags.

There is no black, just watermarks.
    Discolored or watermarks will require Vachetta-2.8 application and when dry the watermarks and discoloration will disappear
    Thereafter the leather is rejuvenated with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system.

>>> I have been the only owner of this bag and never used any products on it other than a microfiber cloth (which is probably as bad as Magic Eraser I presume).

It is all right to use microfiber, good only when it is dry.
    Use a cotton terry towel for wet extraction.

>>> I cleaned with 3.8 and rinsed with 3.0.

Rinse-3.0 is used for routine cleaning and follow-up after Clean-3.8 (see Guide – Soiling Type).
    Clean-3.8 is used for Light routine maintenance (see Guide – Soiling type).

>>> I let the leather dry after that which, from what I read on the forum, is not right.

When used the products from Kit-V2 the ‘wet’ process is a continuous process that ends with Fatliquor-5.0 depending on the leather soiling level
    (using the Guide for reference). Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0.
    Protector-D is used when the leather is dry.

>>> Should I re-use the Rinse 3.0 before continuing with the hydrator?

You may continue with Hydrator-3.3 and proceed with Fatliquor-5.0.

>>> Do I let the hydrator dry before the next step?

No, up to 25% moisture or still damp with an even darkening effect.
    This will ensure that the Fatliquor-5.0 is evenly distributed without any blotchiness effect.
    Fatliquor-5.0 will contribute color intensity richness to the leather appearance.
    When the leather is fully saturated it will resist ingress of liquid stain more as compared to a too dry leather surface.

>>> The second picture shows the only cracking on the bag.

As vachetta is unfinished or naked leather any repairs will look obvious.
    Dryness of the fatliquor will also exaggerate the cracks – thus a fully saturated leather with fatliquor will lessen the appearance just like a mud cracked pond received a bit of moisture will lessen the obvious mud-crackings.

Vegetable-Tanned (V) – Vachetta Leather Problem Solving Guide:
    Name:  Vegetable-Tanned (V) - Vachetta.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  377.0 KB

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    [email protected]

Thanks for your reply Roger.
    If after applying the Fatliquor there are is some uneven tone or splotchiness is it possible to fix this with any of the products in the kit before putting the protector on?

>>> If after applying the Fatliquor there are is some uneven tone or splotchiness is it possible to fix this with any of the products in the kit before putting the protector on?

It will depend on the source of the blotchiness and removed accordingly.
    Resurfacing stains behaves somewhat like an iceberg and any liquid may continue to wick them out until exhausted.

If blotchiness is due to uneven surface tension then correction by Hydrator-3.3 will help redistribute the blotchy Fatliquor-5.0 effect.

Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 > Acidifier-2.0 may be used to correct unknown differences in absorbent rate when unknown conditioners were previously applied.

[QUOTE=Roger Koh;17460]>>> If after applying the Fatliquor there are is some uneven tone or splotchiness is it possible to fix this with any of the products in the kit before putting the protector on?
    It will depend on the source of the blotchiness and removed accordingly.
    Resurfacing stains behaves somewhat like an iceberg and any liquid may continue to wick them out until exhausted.

Ok, I'm ordering the Degreaser 2.2 and Acidifer 2.0 since they are not in the V-2 Kit and I still have some splotchiness on my bag although I am very happy with the progress thus far.

I want to be very clear on how to use the three products you suggest. So do all three (2.2 > 3.0 > 2.0) get applied one after the other without drying time in between? After these three do I continue with hydrator right away and apply more Fatliquor when the hydrator is still up to 25% wet? I'm sorry, but I'm still confused.

>>> Ok, I'm ordering the Degreaser 2.2 and Acidifer 2.0 since they are not in the V-2 Kit and I still have some splotchiness on my bag although I am very happy with the progress thus far.

Splotchiness will need Vachetta-2.8.
    Unless it is caused by unknown conditioner that results in uneven surface tension then Degreaser-2.2 system comes in play.

>>> I want to be very clear on how to use the three products you suggest. So do all three (2.2 > 3.0 > 2.0) get applied one after the other without drying time in between?

Refer to the guide for your cleaning intention.
    Unless you have penetrated grease or unknown conditioner that cause uneven surface tension you will need this (Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 > Acidifier-2.0) system – show pictures and I will help decide.
    Towel extract to 25% dry and proceed with the next step.

>>> After these three do I continue with hydrator right away and apply more Fatliquor when the hydrator is still up to 25% wet? I'm sorry, but I'm still confused.

Splotchiness caused by pH difference or tanning or cellulose browning is rectified by Vachetta-2.8
    Grease penetration or unknown conditioner is removed by (Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 > Acidifier-2.0) system.

When surface appearance is satisfactory with Vachetta-2.8 (after complete dry),
    Or
    by (Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 > Acidifier-2.0) system (while still up to 25% wet)

Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system continues.

When dry Protector-D starts.

Thread Information