Thread: Pigmented (Two-Tone) - Embossed Aligator - ottoman, faded and worn - for 'Cavazes'

Default Pigmented (Two-Tone) - Embossed Aligator - ottoman, faded and worn - for 'Cavazes'

Client wants us to restore this ottoman.

1 The leather is getting stretched and is getting smooth, I don't think there is any way to restore the embossed feel.
    2 It is faded, and I'm concerned that if we try to dye we will darken in where it used to be embossed and was supposed to be lighter in color to define the embossing.

I was going to prep clean 4.4overnight, Clean and rinse. then Hydrate and Fatliquor. Let me know what you think?

Name:  100_4915.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  2.70 MB
    5-11A Overall shows faded sides

Name:  100_4916.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  2.36 MB
    5-11B Top view shows it is darker in the middle and lighter around the outside.

Name:  100_4917.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  2.53 MB
    5-11C Shows that the embossing is almost gone from wear and stretching but the pattern remains in the finish.

>>> The leather is getting stretched and is getting smooth, I don't think there is any way to restore the embossed feel.

Agree. Not possible as this has to be gone under an embossing with great pressure and heat.

>>> It is faded, and I'm concerned that if we try to dye we will darken in where it used to be embossed and was supposed to be lighter in color to define the embossing.

I believe this is a two-color system just like “tipping” lighter on the primary and darker on the secondary.

>>> I was going to prep clean 4.4overnight, Clean and rinse. then Hydrate and Fatliquor. Let me know what you think?

Hydrating may loosen up the embossing and making it less evident – not advisable to dwell overnight for this case.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor

Thread Information