Thread: Louis Vuitton - Cleaning and lighting the vachetta leather on this LV handle

Default Louis Vuitton - Cleaning and lighting the vachetta leather on this LV handle

Hi Roger, I needed to remove the marks on this LV handle. Also, I needed to know how to make/lighting the color on this vachetta handle to a shade or 2 shades lighter.

Picture 1: picture of the handle
    Name:  photo (3).JPG
Views: 1857
Size:  38.9 KB

Picture 2: color/shade of the handle I want to have
    Name:  lvhandle.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  7.2 KB

I have the V4 kits, Please tell me which product(s) to use for clean/remove the marks and lighting the color on the handle. What is your suggestion on the sequence for these tasks? Most importantly, please walk me though each step on each product thoroughly. Since I am not good and can get confuse on all the chemistry/chemical terms you use on explaining the products, please guide me through the processes in simple form of English (just like explain it to a child). Thank you.

following, interested if there is any way to clean this vachetta

>>> I needed to remove the marks on this LV handle.

Information helpful as follows:

How old is this bag?

What products have been tried on these leather trims?

What was the cause of the stains, are the darker marks

1A - Protein Stains
    1B – Greasy, Oily and Sweaty body Contact Stains
    Or
    1C – Unknown

What causes the lighter stains?

2A – Nail scratches
    2B – Other Physical damages
    2C - Unknown
    2D – Can they be felt by hand with sharp edges or smooth dent?

What are the causes of the brown lines faintly three lines?

3A – Accidental water damages
    3B – Causes by Cleaning Chemicals or water

>>> Also, I needed to know how to make/lighting the color on this vachetta handle to a shade or 2 shades lighter.

Vachetta color is alive and the color is a combination of the original source of the hide itself, the type of vegetable tanned used and the types and amount of fatliquor used to produced them. When exposed to sunlight the leather takes on a tan just like our skin. Ageing of the fatliquor lightens the color intensity thus we see them as lightening marks or fine micro light cracks and eventually with further diminishing fatliquor replenishing. Body oil, grease and sweat darken the leather by penetrating below the surface. Besides the stains created by them, the sweat ferments and shift the protein fiber ionic negative (-ve) from ionic positive (+ve) thus denatures the leather. The effect of such phenomenon turns the leather tacky or slimy with wet hands. Smells of fermenting also is a direct telltale sign of leather denaturing back to rawhide.
    To make the color lighter is possible and seasoning it with richer color intensity is also possible. And if we know the characteristic of the leather how it behaves and the products available and its purpose we are then in control and adjust to whatever the desired shades satisfy.

The foreign contamination interferes with the original appearance need to be removed.

Commonly in light to medium soiling severity with no potential signs of cracking is by Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 for surface degreasing (This is why good pictures will help me to help you see better).
    In this process the leather surface soiling is pre removed with brushing with horsehair Brush-1 and Eraser-4.
    Degreaser-2.2 needs to be shake to gel that becomes one color from separation. In practice it is usually transfer to the Brush-1 and begin applying onto the grease areas with agitation letting the products goes below the stains if possible. Extraction is follow-up with terry-towel extraction. Deep extraction is done with placing the handle round a terry face towel and the handle is squeeze press with a smooth object like a spoon handle until the stain is transfer to the towel and until it shows clean. Rinsing is done with Acidifier-2.0 by spraying and letting the leather soak in prior to squeezing them out with the roll-up towel and spoon handle or the smooth side of the brush handle to extract the suspended soiling. The rinsing process is repeated until the towel shows clean.

It is recently discovered just a few months back that for obvious sign of cracking or potential cracking or the percentage readings shows below the up to 14% moisture level (modern tannery leather fatliquor moisture standard) or the sweat contamination is severe and contaminated oil and grease removed the leather fibers being stripped dries empty becoming stick together, stiffen and when mishandled cracks. From a few of these observation I decided to introduce the Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system as the preconditioning the leather prior to degreasing it. Better be safe than sorry.

The above paragraph is for background reading and since I guess that we may not need the degrease under medium to heavy or extreme body oil and grease decontamination and will also skip this part on the how-to to avoid confusion.

In light degreasing to browning treatment Vachetta-2.8 alone will do most of these triple purpose – general cleaning, light degreasing and correction of browning and blotchiness form sun tanning, and other liquid stains that browns.
    This is the much preferred and the simplest of the cleaning process. The leather surface is Brush-1 and Eraser-4 to remove surface soiling. Vachetta-2.8 is sprayed and agitates with Brush-1 to saturate the leather with an even appearance starting from the heaviest soiling area. A terry towel works over it to extract the suspended soiling until it shows clean. Leave the leather natural drying allowing the continuous working of the product by chemical redox reaction.

Recommendation:

Use the Vachetta-2.8 as describe above and shows GOOD pictures before we proceed further.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mobileleatherrepair.com View Post
    following, interested if there is any way to clean this vachetta

>>> if there is any way to clean this vachetta

Here is an example of just using Vachetta-2.8 to remove such mentioned stains with a cotton swab.

#1 Body oil grease and sweat stains removing progress
    Name:  DSC_0076.JPG
Views: 2226
Size:  3.79 MB

Name:  DSC_0077.JPG
Views: 2489
Size:  4.07 MB

Name:  Kit V4.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  971.7 KB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/leather...g-removal-kit/
    Leather Doctor® Kit V4 specialty problem solving kit include Vachetta-2.8 for browning removal and Degreaser-2.2 for body contact decontamination systems in a holistic approach. Kit V4 is a combination kit from Kit V3 and Kit V5.dr without duplicating of products for these common related problems.
    Darkening appearance from body contact and browning from liquid stain are two main inevitable common problems associated with naked unfinished vachetta leathers. Leather being absorbent absorb and accumulates body moisture from contact and when neglected resulted in a darkening appearance. Besides appearance the sweat with traces of urea may cause the protein fiber from shifting ionic negative (-ve) manifesting as tackiness and reverting to rawhide.
    Degreaser-2.2 solves the darkening effect by penetrating, lubricating and suspending the soiling particulates and simultaneously protonate the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve). The amphoteric protein fiber is further rinse and ionic positive (+ve) charge with Acidifier-2.0 to strengthen the ionic attraction between its other non-amphoteric ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents like the tanning agent and the fatliquor. This dual duty removes the unwanted soiling particulates and pH balance the pH chemistry integrity of the leather at the same time.
    Browning of vachetta leathers is associated with alkaline over-exposure, vachetta being a lower pH value than most other tanned leathers averages pH 4 is more sensitive to alkaline cleaning or stains and even water at pH 7 will cause discoloration and browning.
    Vachetta-2.8 with its low pH works by oxidation-reduction reaction to reduce the discoloration or browning effect to a more even appearance when the leather is left to dry naturally.
    Leather rejuvenating is mandatory and comes next when appearance become satisfactorily. This is accomplished with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system. Hydrator-3.3 plays a significant role in absorbent leathers like vachetta where stains are usually penetrated. The hydrator’s surfactancy helps internal leather structure colloidal movement by moving suspended soiling particulates to the surface at each wicking process until exhausted and is often used as part of the rinsing process. Besides hydrator is used to check for surface tension and relax the leather fiber prior to ionic negative (-ve) charged Fatliquor-5.0 replenishing. Natural slow drying in between application until saturation produces a softer leather.
    Protecting the leather with Protector-D impart a natural draggy-feel and reduces wear to the grain of the leather, conceal scuff with its healing properties that also allows transpiration to take place or breaths naturally. Note that the mentioned products suffix numbers denotes its pH value in this holistic approach to removing the common problems associated with vachetta, saddlery and veg-tan leathers.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 01-15-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Hi Roger, I bought this handbag as preowned, I don't know what are those stains/marks. According to the data code, this handbag is 12 years old. Just to make sure I have the correct first step,(according to your recommendation,) use vachetta 2.8. Right?

I can't view/open attachment# 4362, 4363, 4364. Can you repost them. Thank you.

>>> Hi Roger, I bought this handbag as preowned, I don't know what are those stains/marks. According to the data code, this handbag is 12 years old. Just to make sure I have the correct first step,(according to your recommendation,) use vachetta 2.8. Right?

No!
    Reschedule cleaning system modules based on unfavorable answers.
    A preventive care need to be in place prior to Vachetta-2.8.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 01-14-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Hi Roger, what is the "preventive care" you are referring to?

This is what I mentioned:

It is recently discovered just a few months back that for obvious sign of cracking or potential cracking or the percentage readings shows below the up to 14% moisture level (modern tannery leather fatliquor moisture standard) or the sweat contamination is severe and contaminated oil and grease removed the leather fibers being stripped dries empty becoming stick together, stiffen and when mishandled cracks. From a few of these observation I decided to introduce the Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system as the preconditioning the leather prior to degreasing it. Better be safe than sorry.

Hi Roger, so I use the hydrator 3.3 and fatliquor 5.0, then vachetta 2.8. Right?

>>> Hi Roger, so I use the Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0, then Vachetta-2.8. Right?

Right!

If we assume that the original fatliquor diminishes by 1% per year, 12 years would be 12 %.
    How long from the time it was fatliquored up till the leather is transform into this lovely bag is still an unknown.
    The only possible way to ascertain or determine the existing remaining percentage of original fatliquor is only my a leather moisture meter or equivalent. This useful instrument will take the guesswork out making our effort more scientific. If you have such an instrument that can read material moisture level it will help. Measurement should be taken from various areas of the leather and keep a note prior to the actual cleaning processes. Stains areas may produce a false reading, as the meter cannot differentiate between contamination and the original fatliquor.

Know the product characteristic and its function before using it and any clarification are welcome.

The multi functional abilities include:
    a) To check for surface tension for an even appearance free from blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing.
    b) To plumps, relaxes and separates crushed, shrunk and stick together fibrils for manipulating away-unwanted creases and wrinkles.
    c) To clean the leather of structural foreign contamination, the plump and limp leather is squeeze with towel laid between the leather and a smooth spatula or equivalent.
    d) To rectify alkaline overexposure areas by facilitating colloidal water movement to redistribute the leather constituents from surrounding areas.
    e) To activate the dormant dyestuff within the leather structure for color refreshing.
    f) To facilitates colloidal water movement within the inter-fibrillary spaces for wicking foreign soiling particulates to resurface.
    g) To stabilize, pH balance and charge the protein fiber below its iso-electric point (pI) ionic positive to hydrogen bond with the ionic negative fatliquor more effectively.
    A - Hydrator-3.3 for General Cleaning Purposes:

A1 – Leather is first brush with Brush-1 and erase with Eraser-4 of surface soiling. This process will lightens up the leather as well. Any stiff spot my be protein related and has the tendency to coagulate and will need the used of a bamboo skewers to removed any stiff soiling as well.

A2 – Hydrator-3.3 is either sprayed direct or transfer to foam brush or Brush-1 whichever suites best and Eraser-4 is also being used during this wet process along with bamboo skewers to loosen up stiff penetrated soiling if any. Cotton terry towel is used to extract suspended soiling until the towel shows clean. Covering the leather with towel through and squeezed with the smooth edge of the brush is also a common practice. Keeping the leather saturated all the time helps released below surface soiling as well. All these while keep an eye on what the terry cotton have pick-up and the deeper it need to get the harder the leather need to be squeezed. When towel shows clean with each application and extraction and the leather appearance have taken an even appearance even though it still remains saturated to a degree says 25% moisture level from meter reading.

B – Hydrator-3.3 for pH Balancing:

B1 – Immediately following from the last cleaning cycle the leather is tactile-feel tested for possible denaturing.
    Any sign of tackiness, stickiness or extreme cases of sliminess with our bare hand indicates alkaline overexposure. A more scientific measurement is with a pH meter that has a flat glass probe. A healthy reading should read between 3 and 4 from the meter. Otherwise the leather has to be pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 until closed to pH 3 and 4. Simply spray Acidifier-2.0 and let it work by itself with Brush-1 agitation and towel extraction before a fresh application until it neutralized to its pH neutral or iso-electric point or pI. Without such meter we have to feel the transformation into a healthy squeaky feel and the neutralization is completed.

C – Hydrator-3.3 for returning back to Structural Dimension:

C1 - Any unwanted creases and wrinkles are manipulated away in this sequence of process. The leather could be keep hydrated for up to 72hrs with control evaporation in order to work out extreme cases.

D – Fatliquor-5.0 for Leather Suppleness when Dry from Cracking:

D1 Fatliquor-5.0 begins when the moisture contents is between 14% - 25%. Fatliquor-5.0 is applied accordingly and Brush-1 helps to even out as well. With each drying cycle up to 14% - 25% mark new application begins. During the final application again up to this 14% - 25% mark the leather is gently massaged and flexed evenly before allowing going too stiff. Note that at 14% fatliquor moisture level is already dry.

Leather Approximate Quantity or Percentage of Fatliquor:
    The quantities of fatliquor (fat and oil) contents retained in the leather after an universal tannery fatliquoring process may varies up to 14% depending on the leather types and it usage. This percentage drops as the fat and oil content diminishes or leaches through ageing, water, heat or chemical overexposure.
    Leather rejuvenating or fatliquor replenishing is base on weight of the leather in relation to the percentage of remaining fatliquor. A simple calculation of percentage of fatliquor topping up requirement would be as follows:
    If the weight of the leather in question is 100gm and fatliquor (fat and oil) content meter reading is less than 1%.
    By applying 80gm of Fatliquor-5.0 to it will deliver an end result incremental of 13.3% fatliquor when dry as the 66.6% water contents evaporates.
    In the leather rejuvenating Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system, Hydrator-3.3 plays an important role by relaxing, opening up the inter-fibrillary spaces, facilitating and redistributing colloidal water movement, protonating and doing all the pre-conditioning work prior to fatliquoring including cleaning up any excess surface remnants to have a sticky-free surface. In practice the ratio for Hydrator-3.3 is 2 to 1 of Fatliquor-5.0.
    It works out to be approximately 160gm of Hydrator-3.3 plus 80gm of Fatliquor-5.0 to replenish a 100gm dry leather from less than 1% back to the original tannery up to 14% fatliquor content.
    Recommended that pictures are taken for reference and larger size pictures for clarity is preferred

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

How is the going?

Thread Information