Thread: Pigmented (Mono-Tone) - Unknown black spots on cream sofa - help!!

Default Pigmented (Mono-Tone) - Unknown black spots on cream sofa - help!!

Hello All,

I need some help from you guys. Myself and my girlfriend bought a new sofa from Poltron e' sofa which was delivered last February. What appears to be black spots are coming out of the leather in the cushion parts of the sofa.

When the sofa was delivered we could see very faint black spots but as they were very light in color and hard to see with thought noting of it. Unfortunately as time is going by this black spots are getting darker in shade and new faint spots are forming. Just for information purposes the sofa is not even being used as we have not even moved in the house yet. So you could imagine our dismay regarding the issue.

Does any one know that these black spots are? and most importantly how to remove them? Till now I tried 'turtle wax leather cleaner' and 'white vinegar' but did not help at all Please help!

Photos of sofa with the unknown black spots:

Name:  sofa_1.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  30.4 KBName:  sofa_2.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  21.3 KBName:  sofa_4.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  33.0 KB

Need further investigating. . .

>>> Unfortunately as time is going by this black spots are getting darker in shade and new faint spots are forming.
    What you mention is possible mold growth but pattern is not characteristic.

1: Any musty or moldy smell to it?
    2: Are these spots visible from the reverse suede side?

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    Need further investigating. . .

>>> Unfortunately as time is going by this black spots are getting darker in shade and new faint spots are forming.
    What you mention is possible mold growth but pattern is not characteristic.

1: Any musty or moldy smell to it?
    2: Are these spots visible from the reverse suede side?

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    Hi thanks for the reply.

The sofa is still smelling like new leather. Unfortunately i cannot see from the other side of the leather because cannot remove cushion (or dont know how) but the spots look deep.
    Is this some thing rare?

If mold growth is positive, then this Kit P3.mk will help, otherwise it is still unknown and even if new finishing is applied it may still growth through.

Name:  a207916145391ae9039aca_m.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  33.3 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit P3.mk – Pigmented Leather Mold Killer Kit

Leather Doctor® Kit P3.mk, pigmented leather mold killer kit is specially developed for mold preventive and decontamination care during storage or growth. Water damaged leather and storing in a humid condition promotes mold growth. The presence of mold infestation is detected by its characteristic musty odor and moldy appearance. Mold is a living organism and damages are progressive that timely preventive anti-fungicidal control is preferred over corrective restoration. A progressive mold infestation will result in unsightly sinking pits that may require physical removal with refinishing. When leather is store away, a d’Mold-3.6 treatment preserves the leather for a period of 8 months. d’Mold-3.6 is a waterbased leather-safe non-phenol fungicide developed to kill mold growth. An effective mold decontamination process would include a restorative cleaning with Prep-7.7, sticky residue removed with Cleaner-3.8 and follows by Rinse-3.0. Mold growth draws its nutrients from the leather fat and oil and will need replenishing. Rejuvenating the leather includes hydrating to relax the stick together fibers and to eliminate surface tension for an even appearance with Hydrator-3.3. Fatliquor follows immediately with Fatliquor LS-5.5 to return the leather with softness and imparting a classic leather scent. This follows with d’Mold-3.6 treatment when dry and proceeds with Protector-B+ for a holistic leather care. Note that the mentioned products suffix numbers denotes its pH value in this holistic approach for both leather mold preventive and corrective care. This kit comes with reduced weight option to save on shipping thus the 250ml concentrate ratio such as d’Mold-3.6, Clean-3.8, Rinse-3.0, Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor LS-5.5 has to be cut or filled up with distilled water prior to use.

If mold growth is positive, then this Kit P3.mk will help, otherwise it is still unknown and even if new finishing is applied it may still growth through.

Name:  a207916145391ae9039aca_m.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  33.3 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit P3.mk – Pigmented Leather Mold Killer Kit

Leather Doctor® Kit P3.mk, pigmented leather mold killer kit is specially developed for mold preventive and decontamination care during storage or growth. Water damaged leather and storing in a humid condition promotes mold growth. The presence of mold infestation is detected by its characteristic musty odor and moldy appearance. Mold is a living organism and damages are progressive that timely preventive anti-fungicidal control is preferred over corrective restoration. A progressive mold infestation will result in unsightly sinking pits that may require physical removal with refinishing. When leather is store away, a d’Mold-3.6 treatment preserves the leather for a period of 8 months. d’Mold-3.6 is a waterbased leather-safe non-phenol fungicide developed to kill mold growth. An effective mold decontamination process would include a restorative cleaning with Prep-7.7, sticky residue removed with Cleaner-3.8 and follows by Rinse-3.0. Mold growth draws its nutrients from the leather fat and oil and will need replenishing. Rejuvenating the leather includes hydrating to relax the stick together fibers and to eliminate surface tension for an even appearance with Hydrator-3.3. Fatliquor follows immediately with Fatliquor LS-5.5 to return the leather with softness and imparting a classic leather scent. This follows with d’Mold-3.6 treatment when dry and proceeds with Protector-B+ for a holistic leather care. Note that the mentioned products suffix numbers denotes its pH value in this holistic approach for both leather mold preventive and corrective care. This kit comes with reduced weight option to save on shipping thus the 250ml concentrate ratio such as d’Mold-3.6, Clean-3.8, Rinse-3.0, Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor LS-5.5 has to be cut or filled up with distilled water prior to use.
    Is it possible to supply a sample of the 'Leather Doctor d'Mold-3.6' for all leather types so we confirm that it will work on our issue? do a kind of a test. shipping cost on us.

Tell us how you would do a test and I will tell you if it is practical!

Problem need to be positively identified, then use this Pigment Leather Problem Solving Guide as reference.

Name:  Pigmented (P).jpg
Views: 223
Size:  384.8 KB

Thanks for the chart, very informative!
    So from that I can see that to remove the mold I have (if it is mold in my case) I have to use all the 5 products in the chart?

What I was thinking for the test was to use only a small amount of the 'd'mold 3.6' on a small area to see if the black spots go away. If yes, I will know for sure that mold is the issue and then will do all the sofa with the anti mold product line you suggested. Hope I explaned my self properly

>>> What I was thinking for the test was to use only a small amount of the 'd'mold 3.6' on a small area to see if the black spots go away.

Even if the black spot is mold, by applying d”Mold-3.6 will not make the black spot go away, it will be still there but death and no fresh growth for a season!

The product kills and retards mold infestation.

Any death mold has to be physically removed just like any dead plants or weeds, by applying any weed killer would not make the unwanted weeds disappear in thin air.

If it is mold. . .

1: All food source has to be removed – that is surface contamination by Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0

2: Leather structure rejuvenating – to maintain leather suppleness by Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 Hydrator-3.3 system

3: Leather-safe proven fungicidal products – d’Mold-3.6

4: Mold damages repairs and refinishing – Micro-54 system.

5: Mold growth prevention – a 8 monthly application.

>>> What I was thinking for the test was to use only a small amount of the 'd'mold 3.6' on a small area to see if the black spots go away.

Even if the black spot is mold, by applying d”Mold-3.6 will not make the black spot go away, it will be still there but death and no fresh growth for a season!

The product kills and retards mold infestation.

Any death mold has to be physically removed just like any dead plants or weeds, by applying any weed killer would not make the unwanted weeds disappear in thin air.

If it is mold. . .

1: All food source has to be removed – that is surface contamination by Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0

2: Leather structure rejuvenating – to maintain leather suppleness by Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 Hydrator-3.3 system

3: Leather-safe proven fungicidal products – d’Mold-3.6

4: Mold damages repairs and refinishing – Micro-54 system.

5: Mold growth prevention – a 8 monthly application.
    Thanks for the info, i understand what u mean.

I also got incontact with the shop that sold me the sofa and they are going to investigate aswell. If they dont solve it for us i will buy the leather doc. To save the day

Will update you on what happened since you were so help full cheers!

Thread Information