Thread: How to Repair, Strengthen and Stop Rips from continuous forming.

Default How to Repair, Strengthen and Stop Rips from continuous forming.

Attached, please find pictures of the furniture.
    I tried to make the wear on the leather clear as well as the rips.

I would like to learn if it’s possible to repair the leather and strengthen it so that rips will not continue to form.
    Perhaps it¹s too far gone.
    Anyway, let me know what you think.
    If repair is possible, I’d like to understand exactly how they would be made.

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  27.4 KB

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  39.7 KB

>>> I would like to learn if it’s possible to repair the leather and strengthen it so that rips will not continue to form.

When we see leather that becomes wavy or with a ripple effect with excess, it has been over stretch thin. A holistic repair would include returning back to original tension or eliminating the excess. This is done with Hydrator-3.3 to relax back the leather tension just like releasing the tension of a stretch rubber band. When the leather is back to shape Fatliquor-5.0 is replenish to plumps up the leather. To tighten up the loose leather structure further will need Impregnator-26. These extra protein and resin solids helps strengthen the leather from easily stretched and is best to be done on the reverse suede side as not to influence the existing appearance of the leather, otherwise the repairs becomes evident. All these mentioned process takes place below surface.

Picture #4 - Repairs to Rips:

This repair type is done with 3 products, Patch-4S, Bond-3D and Bond-3A.
    A 0.4mm full grain leather is used as a sub-patch to reduce appearance with no compromise to tensile strength.
    This sub-patch is bond suede side to side with Bond-3D horizontally and the vertical is sealed smooth like a natural healing scar with the help of Bond-7A to work out the smoothness of the repairs. This naked repair may be evident unless a matching color and topcoats hides it. Such holistic repair carries a 3 years warranty, which is not heard off from other repair system. The repair remains supple with flexibility without cracking it and becomes part of leather itself.

Note:
    Color matching is quite impossible as they are worn and suggest a total color refinishing to return the leather to normal use.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Thread Information